PDA

View Full Version : EK A380 typical roster

Jimmy The Big Greek
7th Jan 2014, 20:06
I would like to know how a "typical" A380 roster looks like. My wife is about to have our first baby and I would like to spend as much time as possible with them. Is it possible to bid for only turn-arounds in order to spend more time with the family?

GoreTex
7th Jan 2014, 20:24
no, impossible right now, in the last 4 years I had 3 turns

Oldaircrew
8th Jan 2014, 02:54
You are aware that the 380 is a long haul aeroplane aren't you?

Secondly, you will come to love the night stops just so that you can get a decent nights sleep once your bundle of joy arrives. Try not to whistle as you pack your bags, the wife will not appreciate it.

single chime
8th Jan 2014, 04:39
And if you apply today, your child will be walking before you actually sit in the plane for your first flight.

Craggenmore
8th Jan 2014, 12:43
3-5 night-stops a month.

Only JED as a turn right now but it's shortly to go 777. People say Delhi will replace it which is OK if you miss the Indian-routes curry for lunch!

The JED turn tends to be reserved for line checks. If you bid solely for JED (if it wasn't a line check flight) you'd find that you would get about 20 of them each month instead of 3-5 night-stops, but you would be home each night but hating life.

If you get a string of ULR's then expect up to 5/6 days off in between which might suit your wish to be in Dubai for the maximum amount of time.

However as Chime has alluded to, our new rostering system will probably be in place by the time you actually got in to the RHS....Things can change quickly here.

Jimmy The Big Greek
8th Jan 2014, 14:47
thank you for the info, I have been "SHORTLISTED" for 8 months, so I should get an interview soon.

White Knight
8th Jan 2014, 16:03
Only JED as a turn right now but it's shortly to go 777

Even with the JED flights being generally full on the 380? Not that I care having done one single turnaround in 2013:ok::ok:

Bl00dy super rosters:D

Dropp the Pilot
8th Jan 2014, 16:49
Really? Not one single turn around? A lot of your colleagues seem to push back from F17, spend a few minutes with the tug disconnected and then return to the stand. That looks a lot like a turnaround for those of us on the profitable fleet.

GoreTex
8th Jan 2014, 18:55
dropp,
according you only one fleet makes money, that means EK will be bankrupt soon right?

Rim-job
9th Jan 2014, 03:25
Dropp...

Get over it!! Your insecurities show the more times you post. It almost appears to me you have a touch of the "little man syndrome" from being on the.... "profitable fleet". :}

Just say'n...

White Knight
9th Jan 2014, 04:54
Dropp - yawn..............................

yada.yada.yada
9th Jan 2014, 06:39
Plus he always has to brag about how much money he makes each month.

whossorrynow
9th Jan 2014, 22:56
Too bad the people who know how to run the company are busy driving Boeings.

(George F. Burns).

givemewings
10th Jan 2014, 05:05
Bit ot but just for perspective out of a few years of flights I've had exactly one gate return on a 380 and 2 on 777 (in less than half the amount of flights as the whale). In my experience that makes the Boeing the unreliable one... :E

oldaircrew... haha! A lot of the mothers in the cabin say the same.... have to stop looking happy to go to work or hubby will figure out I enjoy being away for some me time!!

White Knight
10th Jan 2014, 20:03
Seriously, who cares? We all get paid the same dwindling amount.

You seem to care.... Small pen1s? Like dropp?

PS. I use 'super' as I'm required too. First contact; so you silly girls in your john deere don't get tossed on your backs:{:bored: when you're following. If you can keep up that is:}:}

mooseknuckles
11th Jan 2014, 05:59
You are both big babies. Come spend some time on the other airbus fleet and then let's see how much you bitch about your rosters or Boeing vs 380.

And for the guy wanting 380 turnarounds...they will be hiring on 330 soon, take that job and you'll be home every day. You'll be working every night, but home everyday. You could also hold out for 777, they will be doing all the crap flying soon enough. Or better yet, go to FlyDubai. I don't understand airline pilots that want to be home every night. You do know that you learned to operate a machine that it built to go places?

natops
12th Jan 2014, 12:03
Hahahahaha :ok:

ricardocosta
14th Jun 2018, 16:30
Hi everyone,

Any updated news about this thread ?

I am in the same situation as the post author, and I would like o know if there is any difference between the A380 and the B777 regarding the time you spend at home, and also about the upgrade, how long is it taking in each of them?

I have been reading a lot about EK, and from what I get this isn't the best time to join the company, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and right now I have to consider all the available options.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this guys.

Thanks !
Thanks a lot

RemoveB4Flght
18th Jun 2018, 07:29
I am in the same situation as the post author, and I would like o know if there is any difference between the A380 and the B777 regarding the time you spend at home, and also about the upgrade, how long is it taking in each of them?

I have been reading a lot about EK, and from what I get this isn't the best time to join the company, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and right now I have to consider all the available options.

So you think a desperate measure in a desperate time is going to produce an option that gives you lots of time at home and a quick upgrade? If you've read about the numerous difficulties with staffing, withholding leave, and issues with rosters, maybe moving a pregnant wife to an unfamiliar country with a less than optimal working environment and expecting a quality of life improvement might not be the smartest option.

The Outlaw
18th Jun 2018, 10:03
Looking back on 380 rosters with a wide cross section of people it looks like this:

5 Euro,1 ULR = 95 hours
4 Asia, 1 ULR = 93 hours
1 SA, 3 Euro, 2 Asia = 95 hours
3 Euro, 2 Asia, 1 ULR = 99 hours
4 Euro, 2 ULR = 93 hours
25 day of leave, 1 Euro, 1 ULR = 36 hours

The average works out to 95 hours in my case. A cross section of random rosters on the same fleet indicate the same numbers on months without training or vacation. What is interesting to see is that those who have 3 weeks leave will generally work about 35 hours. Those with 2 weeks leave will generally work about 65 hours and the flight seems to be an extra ULR. Either way you'll be pretty tired when you start your vacation.

Of course there will be those who claim they don't work over 90 hours and there are those who have done 104-110 hours! EK does not count your time spent in the bunk toward your flight time limitations so its easy to understand how they can inflate the hours to 100 or more. Days off in a month are in the 10-12 range with some months as high as 15 and others as low as 9. Both fleets seems to work about as hard with the exception of the 777 freighter pilots who don't seem to get as much stick and rudder time but do spend about the same time away from home. In many cases most rosters will give a 4 day off stretch once in the month.

So, desparate times and measures? Anyone can fly 100 hour months for a year, but after that the chronic fatigue sets in and you'll notice negative changes in your life, its just not good for yourself and family. You may find that good intentions to come and make a family life here is the same thing that eventually breaks it up, we've all see lots of those examples.

Buyer beware!

dustyflightdeck
18th Jun 2018, 17:04
Not a problem for 6-12 months but then long term fatigue sets in and you cannot recover since each roster is 90hr+

Looks ok on paper but ask actual EK employee about it!!!!

donpizmeov
18th Jun 2018, 19:32
As there is no credit or pay for this SIM, nor a bunch of other duties, it's common to have a full months roster polluted with these kinds of duties. It's stealing a day off, and of AED 4200 productivity pay. These duties were once paid for . But one of the higher up muppets decided those lazy pilots are having too many days off . This was in the day of the mighty 345 where pilots were hitting 100 in 28 and 900 in 365, but still getting 15 plus days off . The muppet decreed that anything over min days off was to become a AD (available day). No duty could happen on these days as the pilots were tapped out. So every AD meant another 3.5hrs productively pay (no one said the muppet was smart). All rejoiced, the muppet because he had made the pilots work more (see note about IQ of muppet), and the pilots as the mighty 345 was.....well it was mighty.....and they were getting money for nothing. Alas, when the end of the year came and the bean counters finally got said muppet to understand what had happened, the pay neutral pay cut came into effect. No more credit for leave, no more credit for non flying duties, no more credit for reserve or AD. But the productivity credit went from 84hrs to 78hrs. This worked out to about a 15% paycut. Luckily the productivity target has fluctuated since then, up to 92hrs and down to our now 88hrs. The original paycut gets bigger and bigger . The ocean of experienced pilots that wanted in dried up. Then some bright spark worked out they had paid a whole bunch of money for really wizz bang aeroplanes. They didn't need experienced pilots to fly them . They could take low houred Laura Ashley jet pilots instead. And once again the gates opened and disaster was averted. Then the ocean of baby jet pilots dwindled as word hit the streets that life weren't too rosey .So it was decided that Turbo prop pilots would now be taken . Then it was low houred turbo prop pilots. Then it was you could come back and try the recruitment sim again in a month if you failed it the first time .Then it was you can keep the flight directors and auto thrust when doing the recruitment sim, and come back in a month if you failed the first time. Maybe autopilot at 200 feet next? Who knows .
But the future looks bright . Full manning of flight deck crew by Autumn. Shouldn't be a problem .This stealing from the pilots pocket will continue . Wont be able to make that wonderful profit target without it.
​​​

greenfields
18th Jun 2018, 21:18
Don that was A+.
:ok:

PositiveRate876
19th Jun 2018, 07:29
Here's a roster from a mate who is looking at leaving. Judge for yourself the reason why he is looking at pulling the plug. Take note of the total hours at the bottom of this roster: 102 hours excluding the sim for which there is no credit.

Left Seat A380:https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/962x1198/screen_shot_2018_06_18_at_18_01_15_0dbdcca143cbccdf8b1efd364 10aa5bc61585941.jpg

Hey, this one is not too bad.

Mine is a lot worse!!!

zero/zero
19th Jun 2018, 10:27
Man, that’s horrendous!

The Outlaw
19th Jun 2018, 11:33
Does your 'mate' know you put his roster on here? =/

I think the point here is the rostering abuse. In reality it doesn't matter if a roster is posted or not. According to EK, they are all safe and legal so whats to hide?

givemewings
19th Jun 2018, 12:27
Because Outlaw, they are vindictive enough that should they so choose, they can go after the individual for making confidential company info known and/or disseminated on the internet which is a breach of the ERM and they can (and have) got people for this in the past. Be careful.

motley flight crue
19th Jun 2018, 12:57
Good old EK. Legal legal yes, but don’t show anyone.

The Outlaw
19th Jun 2018, 15:24
Because Outlaw, they are vindictive enough that should they so choose, they can go after the individual for making confidential company info known and/or disseminated on the internet which is a breach of the ERM and they can (and have) got people for this in the past. Be careful.

But how is it confidential? We say our names on the PA on every flight, thousands of flights per day, right there it puts the roster information into the public domain. Everyone who has access to FOIP can look at anyone's roster so its not really private or confidential. EK has taken "great effort" to ensure that all rosters produced follow the industry practice to avoid fatigue and meet all regulatory and legal standards. So why would they not want us to champion this high standard and show the world how good we are here? They certainly can't be embarrassed about them, they are probably the worlds most cost effective rosters! Maybe if those looking to get into EK actually saw real EK rosters and all the exciting (many) destinations (many) we fly to every month, they'd solve their recruitment issues and get those 170 pilots kicking down the door!!

givemewings
19th Jun 2018, 16:42
I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying they're right. But it's there. If you look, it basically prohibits the sharing of any company document, app, program, screenshot, printout, email etc etc etc etc without the express written permission of the company. We've all done it- sent a screengrab from FABS or our roster to the boyfriend/wife/flatmate whatever, but should they choose to, EK will pursue it and will be in the legal right to terminate you if they want to. I personally wouldn;t risk it if still in Dubai.

zero/zero
19th Jun 2018, 17:29
Well HH already posts example rosters very happily on ‘Future Pilots of Emirates’ on LinkedIn so this is obviously just more of the same and the company should just be grateful for the positive publicity 😂

JammedStab
20th Jun 2018, 04:12
Not a very good roster. One needs at least 48 hours to be able to truly enjoy their layover station, maybe even an occasional 3 or 4 day stint;)

felixthecat
20th Jun 2018, 06:23
The 777 rosters are very similar in number of work days and days off BUT to add insult to injury the 777 is paid less. I have one day off less than this but 'ONLY' in the low 90s, so paid a considerably smaller sum.

Now don't get me wrong and think it's about the money, because it is not. I would prefer to be nicely under the productivity threshold and spending time at home recovering and enjoying my family, but whilst I'm not it does grate a bit at times.

These rosters are crazy, legal, but ridiculous. You could on occasion, understand once in a while but this is month in month out year after year. Why anyone would join this place now is beyond me, yet apparently, we do have joiners. I fly with guys who joined because they had read all this stuff and didn't believe it, thinking all these posts were just a plot to keep this plum job to ourselves!

fliion
20th Jun 2018, 09:19
MEL SIN DXB CDG DXB BKK

I see the 120h east west swap rule that was imposed on us for years - is in the trash can of history.

So many missed birthdays, school plays, anniversaries...

Wait....do you hear that in HQ...it’s the sound of no one caring

donpizmeov
20th Jun 2018, 10:51
Fliion you have to wait for them to return from their public holidays before they can start to not care.

SOPS
20th Jun 2018, 10:58
Whoever has that roster above, I feel very sorry for you. If you are still walking at the end of the month, it will be a miracle !!!!!!

serf
20th Jun 2018, 11:01
Seems BA pilots have rostering issues too, in Terms & Endearment.

SOPS
21st Jun 2018, 01:52
That is a good point. Should not the report time be 1.25 prior to departure.

JAARule
21st Jun 2018, 02:10
Really? Not one single turn around? A lot of your colleagues seem to push back from F17, spend a few minutes with the tug disconnected and then return to the stand. That looks a lot like a turnaround for those of us on the profitable fleet.

That's still funny 4 years later....

The most recent month that fits this 31 day roster with the first of the month being a Tuesday would be....
Why would you point that out? Other than trying to look clever. It's possible the muppets had the ineptitude or lack of interest to do the digging themselves until you make it easy for them. No one blew your previous (plainly obvious) identity, you should retract that post.

GKOC41
21st Jun 2018, 10:13
2335 off duty before a day off that's asking for trouble (day7)

BigGeordie
21st Jun 2018, 10:43
2335 off duty before a day off that's asking for trouble (day7)

It's not a legally required day off so crewing/rostering don't care.

BigGeordie
21st Jun 2018, 10:44
It is obviously a fairly old roster (one hour report times were changed to 1:25 a while back) so the unfortunate recipiant will not be easy to identify. However, it is still typical of what is being inflicted on us today.

Kakaru
21st Jun 2018, 14:39
Could anyone please explain what empty lines mean in the attached roster (06, 12, 18 etc)? A stand by day? If yes, do you have to be available during 24h on these days?

KippaLippa
21st Jun 2018, 15:23
Could anyone please explain what empty lines mean in the attached roster (06, 12, 18 etc)? A stand by day? If yes, do you have to be available during 24h on these days?

Hi Kakaru, those are working days. Some are so called "rest days", days when you don't actually work in their 24 hours, but they definitely can't be counted as days off, for example if you leave the next day at 2 am.
Others are plain working days, it just doesn't show so immediately. Take the 18th, the day before the flight ends at 08.50(+).
Means it actually arrives at 08.50 but not on that day, one day "plus" (+). So on the 18th.
Also, the 18th and 12th and the 20th are layovers. So maybe you are not working in the airplane, but you are where you are for your duty.

Cheers
KL

BANANASBANANAS
21st Jun 2018, 16:04
And don't forget all the on line courses that have to be done at home in your own time. Dangerous goods, sim technical, crm, etc etc.

Kakaru
21st Jun 2018, 16:29
Hi Kakaru, those are working days. Some are so called "rest days", days when you don't actually work in their 24 hours, but they definitely can't be counted as days off, for example if you leave the next day at 2 am.
Others are plain working days, it just doesn't show so immediately. Take the 18th, the day before the flight ends at 08.50(+).
Means it actually arrives at 08.50 but not on that day, one day "plus" (+). So on the 18th.
Also, the 18th and 12th and the 20th are layovers. So maybe you are not working in the airplane, but you are where you are for your duty.

Cheers
KL

Thanks KippaLippa and BananasBananas, now it makes sense.

LHR Rain
22nd Jun 2018, 11:40
Thanks KippaLippa and BananasBananas, now it makes sense.

I don’t think anything makes sense here.
It’s all going to Hell in a Hand Basket very rapidly.