PDA

View Full Version : Were you at Laarbruch 75 (ish) onwards?

oldmansquipper
7th Jan 2014, 15:08
If you were, you will probably have used Willi`s Taxis from/to Weeze.

Willie Cox was renowned for his understanding of us cold war warriors and our need to "unwind" in the local hostelries. There are many tales of pfennigless and somewhat puddled singlies (Of all ranks and persuasions) getting delivered back to camp in his taxi at no cost. Willie would happily pick up the fare at the end of the month!!

Sadly, Willi passed away last Sunday... but I am sure he will not be forgotten by those who knew him.

RIP Willi Cox

OMS

dctyke
7th Jan 2014, 15:26
Many happy memories riding back to camp in the back of the cream merc having had far too many in Weeze. He always looked after us. RIP

Bladdered
7th Jan 2014, 16:14
He would willingly deliver chicken and chips etc from the Brattie Shop in the AMQs in Weeze to a hoard of drunken zobs in the mess after happy hour or post taceval.

Laarbruch72
7th Jan 2014, 19:43
In the late 80s and early 90s Willy and his band of men preferred to drop off pfenigless airmen at the main barrier post where we held a float for such eventualities, one show of a 1250 and a quick notebook entry later, Willy was paid out of the float and said airman could settle with us later. Maybe he'd had trouble collecting at some point in the 80s! Whatever the reason it was a system that worked well and it was rarely abused.

He also used to go out of his way to hand in a lot of lost property including wallets etc which had been dropped in his cabs, remarkable honesty and integrity really, many others wouldn't have bothered.

Best wishes Herr Cox, a special bloke and likely not forgotten by anyone who ever used his taxi / food / anything delivery service.

matkat
8th Jan 2014, 06:32
Yes have to agree with all of the above used his services on many occasions, great guy RIP Herr Cox:D

claron
8th Jan 2014, 11:01
RIP Willi

Many thanks for all the times you picked me up. literally!! and delivered me safely home.:D:D:D:D

Taxi to Laarbruch!!!

Rigga
8th Jan 2014, 11:20
Spoke to him a few years ago when visiting - he was still driving. A mate of mine had retired from MOD in Germany to drive for him.

RIP willy

sittingstress
8th Jan 2014, 16:30
An utterly outstanding man for all the reasons already mentioned.

I have been posted alles uber der Platz yet could not tell you the company let alone the name of the driver of any other taxi service.

I hope that Kev's Bar in Weeze has ladled out a few Wobbly's in Herr Cox's honour.

RIP

I have just spoken to the office of Cox Taxi and have been asked to ring tomorrow to speak with his son Rudi. I will pass on commiserations if that is acceptable.

RuCox
13th Jan 2014, 10:00
Dear all,

accidentally I found this forum and read all these heartwarming things about my father that deeply impressed me.
My mother, my wife and I thank you very much for your contributions wich are not to be taken for granted.

Thank You - Gisela, Silvia & Rudi Cox