PDA

View Full Version : Navigational Flights in C152 vs C172

Stanley1985
7th Jan 2014, 09:32
Hi everyone

I am a Singaporean currently undergoing PPL training full-time at Bunbury. I will be commencing my Nav training soon, and am seeking some advice on the abovementioned title.

Will it be cheaper to conduct Nav flights in a 152 vs a 172? According to my syllabus here, I have 8 sorties about 3 hours each before my final PPL test.

Also, I will convert my licence to a Singapore PPL when I get back home. Is it recommended to undergo the training for controlled airspace procedures here in Bunbury and Perth, bearing in mind that the procedures are different for the 2 countries? Or should I leave this part till when I get back to Singapore, which I will be doing most of my flying in?

Thank you all for your time and advice!

Stanley

Jack Ranga
7th Jan 2014, 10:14
Stanley, do it in the S211, Singapore knows it well.

Tinstaafl
7th Jan 2014, 10:34
If each nav exercise is based on time eg a 3 hour flight, then each one will be cheaper in whichever aircraft is cheaper by the hour. If, however, each nav exercise is based on flying a specific route no matter what aircraft you're in, then you'll need to calculate the flight time in each type and multiply that figure by the hourly cost to find the cheaper option. Don't forget to include any weight/size related additional fees.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Jan 2014, 13:33
HI Stanley,

I suggest that you do the navs in the '172'......it being the next aircraft 'up the line', and therefore, a 'step up' in the scheme of things.

Yoy may also enjoy the opportunity of taking some passengers for a ride when you have finished.....3 passenger seats vs ONE!!

Go for it!!

Happy Landings...:ok:

SOPS
7th Jan 2014, 13:59
And there is a bit more room to 'work' in a 172.

T28D
8th Jan 2014, 00:24
There is a but, the C152 will surely teach you dead reckoning particularly if there is some wind about.

You are there to learn, don't take the easy way out.

717tech
8th Jan 2014, 01:49
Can you do a few flights in the C152 then move to the C172?

BPA
8th Jan 2014, 02:43
Way back when I did my NAV's I did my first 3 NAV's in a 2 seater and then moved on to the 4 seat aircaft to complete the NAVs. Saved money doing it that way.

tecman
8th Jan 2014, 03:01
Some C152 experience will make you a better pilot for the reason that T28D mentions and also because it forces you to be a little bit more organized. If you don't have long-range tanks you need to be particularly on the ball with the fuel management. And the smaller cockpit definitely makes you more organized at handling maps and other items. Flying with a range of individuals, I find the organization thing to be a bit like table manners: some people are taught well and some aren't. Nothing looks more amateurish than hurling bits of paper, pens etc around the cockpit! That said, things do happen faster in higher performance aircraft so the suggestion of doing a couple of later navs in the C172 is well worth thinking about. If you're at BAC don't ignore the mighty P2002 - great view, faster than the C152, plenty of fuel and a proper joy stick :)

VH-XXX
8th Jan 2014, 04:16
If you're at BAC don't ignore the mighty P2002

Shouldn't that have read... "If you're at BAC don't ignore MY mighty P2002" :ok:

djpil
8th Jan 2014, 04:36
It will become obvious when you plan the flight for anything other than a very short nav. Regardless of tank size, two up in a 152 will probably require an intermediate fuel stop.

tecman
8th Jan 2014, 04:40
XXX..no..he's a couple of hundred km too far south :) With a couple of others to choose from, mine might be a poor third (and maybe they don't make you wipe your feet before emplaning).

Old Akro
8th Jan 2014, 06:05
I haven't flown in Singapore, but I have flown in Thailand. Frankly, I would have thought that the differences in topography, ATC procedures, weather and visibility would mean the experience gained navigating in country West Australia had little relevance to Singapore.

I'd get your licence the fastest / cheapest way and save some money for revision in Singapore.