PDA

View Full Version : Atpl ground study

aerofoil1
6th Jan 2014, 08:12
Hello all
I'm starting to study for the atpl exams this year and I'm wondering if there is a compulsory requirement to study at an authorised training centre ie Bristol ?
Is it possible to self study at home and book the exams? Or is there a requirement to attend a trainking organisation ?
Thanks

Dash8driver1312
6th Jan 2014, 08:45
You must take part in a recognised training organisation. There are a number of these around the country, offering either residential or distance learning courses.

There is no reason why you couldn't attend eg CATS and also read from Bristol's books at the same time.

RTN11
6th Jan 2014, 10:47
Just to add to the above, if you go distance learning, you will still need to complete a minimum number of hours classroom time, usually structured as a "refresher" week leading up to the exams.

If you go for a residential course, again there is a minimum study requirement.

Either way, you can't just buy the books and book the exams yourself, it needs to be through a training provider.

RMP2
6th Jan 2014, 12:36
It depends on your experience. If you already have an ATPL from an ICAO country you can study by yourself and sit the 14 exams whenever you feel ready.

aerofoil1
6th Jan 2014, 14:02
thank you all just wondered if that approach was possible obviously not! EASa and CAA rules!
Pro pilot at coventry is looking favorable to me has any one studied there?

byrondaf
9th Jan 2014, 11:00
ctbrown92 and for anyone else considering CATS, this is my honest assessment so far. (8 passed 0 failed, 6 left)

It's great for people close to Gatwick, for those with full time jobs, and also for people who enjoy reading stuff. And it's good value. The brush up courses are excellent, the instructors are very good at getting things to sink in, they always respond to email questions and provide good explanations.

The only thing for me, is that I've felt that if I hadn't supplemented the CATS stuff with Oxford CD-ROMs for those tricky subjects (met and gen nav for me) then I think I wouldn't have done so well in the exams. You really need to use more than just the CATS notes to do well (in MY opinion). Combine their notes with SOME of the Oxford stuff and of course the Bristol QB and then you will sail through the exams. I find interactive learning easier so each to their own.

Maybe this is the same for every distance learning course, but then I guess nobody would know about more than 1...if you're not based around London, I probably wouldn't suggest CATS specifically in favour of another organisation closer to home that can provide the same thing.

aerofoil1
10th Jan 2014, 08:04
Ctbrown
Ive signed up with pro pilot and will be using padpilot with the iBooks downloaded from iTunes
Travelling distance was the major factor and they seem very helpful it's all or nothing now !

Exiled Martian
10th Jan 2014, 10:37
Hi OP,

Propilot was my first choice, seeing as I'm from the midlands it only made sense to go DL with them!Nothing bad to say, the material was Grade A on the Ipad & if you are looking to embark on the self learning /DL path, I suggest you knuckle down & get really acquainted with the tablet/digital format of the material in the course (I believe you are able to download samples from Itunes) is presented.

My experience with Propilot was overly great, took me 9 months (DL & finsihed all exams in October 2013) to knock out all 14 exams alongside full time employment & thank god for passing all that first time around (Mean Mark of 91% overall):ok:. They also encourage past/present/future students to come along on various organised events (tjhey tend to host various PDP's, lectures & talks & recently a CBT program/project) that take place over the year.

Goodluck on your ATPL endeavours mate

mglepd
20th Jan 2014, 11:13
i've just started the DL course with Propilot Coventry.
IMHO they are head and shoulders above the competition now. They've just installed Boeing and Airbus sims so you can learn by doing stedda just reading.

aerofoil1
21st Jan 2014, 10:16
Thanks for all the input guys course now started with pro pilot have all the study material just a case if knuckling down I also have. A full time job and work part time as a dj which helps towards the flying costs
Struggling a bit with POF there seems to be no end of equations to remember this is going to be tough

Lightning Mate
21st Jan 2014, 15:23
When I taught PoF for the ATPLs, I constructed a document with everything required in it.

I have it somewhere on my computer.

Past students of Cabair and BCFT will know it.

Darfung
21st Jan 2014, 19:01
Hi i have been tutoring a mate of mine through CASA
it goes with any type of training you have to keep at it and work hard

BUT RTFQ if you know what i mean