PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing or Rotor wing (in the long term)

PPRuNeUser0179
5th Jan 2014, 16:43
Hi everyone
Hope you are all having a great start to the new year.
I'm interested in knowing your opinions about whether to go for fixed wing flying or for rotor wings...
I've currently got my ppl for rotors and currently going for my cpl,yet I am also doing fixed wing as a side line hobby.ive always wanted to go for choppers-career wise,it's honestly my passion,fixed wing coming in second.but I've spoken to a lot of airline pilots and they are all saying that airline flying is a MUCH better career choice after the age of 25.ive spoken to a few rotor pilots and they seem to disagree,but to an extent...could any of you gentlemen/ladies give me some advice here as I'm indeed curious to find out...I'll definitely fly rotors for a couple of years but I'm curious as what is the best long term.

PS:I'm only 18 and have two more years of school.

Thanks everyone.much appreciated :ok:

Regards,
Daniele

[sent from iphone]

what next
5th Jan 2014, 17:04
...ive always wanted to go for choppers-career wise,it's honestly my passion,

Doesn't that answer your question?

There are less jobs for rotary wing pilots than for fixed wing, but there are also less pilots. Therefore, I would say that the chance for getting a good job is almost equal. In my part of the world (Germany) some of the most sought-after jobs (rescue/ambulance) go mostly to ex military pilots, the waiting time for civilian trained people can be quite long. At least that's what I have seen with helicopter pilots I know.

flyboyike
5th Jan 2014, 18:26
Are you actually in Africa?

PPRuNeUser0179
5th Jan 2014, 19:11
Hi guys...
What next-I know that if heli's are my passion then I should continue but here's my point of view on the subject:I've noticed that chopper pilots often lead instable lifestyles.Now I do not mean that in a negative way.what I mean is that heli pilots are always being called out to different areas for contracts and thus,find it difficult to settle down with a wife and kids.

Whereas airline pilots follow a roster and know when they will be gone and for how long.More organized if that's the right word.

I could be wrong but this is what I have seen and heard.
Opinions?
And flyboy-yes I am

Thanks
Dan

Pappa Delta
13th Jan 2014, 20:48
Where ever you are going to go in aviation, you are going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Now, do you HAVE a wife already? I assume not. What are you worrying about. You are 18, have a PPL already. Get a CPL, go fly whatever in Africa for a couple of years. Have fun. Get experience. And when you are 23 or 24, you can still go to airlines. During a chopper job you can study an ATPL. Do a fixed wing course on the side. Just do it.

Klimax
17th Jan 2014, 04:30
Follow your heart son, follow your heart. If you' wanna fly rotors - do that. Don't aim at airline fixed wing flying or something like that - if you guts tells you heli's. You don't wanna sit up at FL360 in twenty years from now - looking down at the continents wishing you did differently. If you'd go for the "money" and end up in an airline too soon, you'd likely be "trapped" on the money wagon and find it hard to let the "benefits" of that go - on top there will be pressure from your future wife, kids etc - it will be to hard to justify then. If you go for the Heli licence now - you'd get it - later on - you may not!

Good luck to you :ok:

PPRuNeUser0179
17th Jan 2014, 17:51
PD-It makes sense what you are saying.It definitely is not a thing to worry about now.Im just concerned for the future.

Klimax-Thanks for uplifting my spirit about the scenario :ok:
I figured out that airline pilots brag about the benefits but they keep quiet about the negatives :E

Im definitely going to tackle my comm for heli's and consider fixed wing on the side as it is not necessary to jump into both at the moment :)

Thanks guys :ok::ok:

Dan