PDA

View Full Version : Jump Pilot minimums?

Munz
5th Jan 2014, 11:48
G'day,

Considering applying to some local sky diving companies to help bring in some extra cash to help fund a future instructor rating (hopefully!). Could anyone help me out as to what are the general minimum requirements? I am aware I will need 10 hours on type (182/206/210 or similar), however as i'm in Adelaide, there are no rentals around I could use. Could I expect to use their company aircraft for this time, or will I have to go interstate?

Cheers for your help

pilotchute
5th Jan 2014, 12:48
Your first mistake was using the words "skydive companies" and "cash" together.

Very few of the skydive places I know actually pay anything close to a wage.

The big ones in Sydney and up in FNQ do pay a wage (usually a decent day rate) but are very difficult to get in to and you will generally be expected to stay a while. You will crank out some pretty big hours though.

dhavillandpilot
6th Jan 2014, 20:45
Munz

If you get a gig just remember jumpers have an evil sense of humour.

Like you I built hours in the early 70's down at Winton on an old 182.

The jumpers favourite trick was the last one out would turn the fuel cock to off. Wised up their next trick and put my right hand down to cover it they to use the fuel cock guard as a push off point, many a sore hand and fingers.

Then I discovered steel gloves like butchers use suddenly they all decided I wasn't to be messed with.

No matter what you will enjoy the experience and jumpers have a particular sense of comraderie

airwolf117
6th Jan 2014, 21:38
This may be of help..Jump Pilot Authorisation (JPA

Jump Pilot Information - Australian Parachute Federation (http://www.apf.asn.au/Docs---Forms/Pilots-and-Aircraft/Jump-Pilot-Information/default.aspx)

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Jan 2014, 09:36
The jumpers favourite trick was the last one out would turn the fuel cock to off. Wised up their next trick and put my right hand down to cover it they to use the fuel cock guard as a push off point, many a sore hand and fingers.

So next time wait until 3000' and 8 miles out frpm the AD and "create" your own emergency (something involving rough running). They all go "See Ya!" and bale, the problem miraculously cures and they have a long walk back...:E

Seriously though, Munz, don't fly for free and watch your own personal standards. I ended up doing my instructor's rating purely because I knew my own standards had slipped so badly. You will be able to climb, find standing waves and sideslip beautifully, but you may find everything else suffers and PJE hours aren't the most well regarded for the first real job.

CharlieCharlie78
7th Jan 2014, 09:42
Minimums :hmm:...... A tough Liver!

NNB
7th Jan 2014, 22:56
give Al Gray a call at Lower Light once you have read the APF jump pilot manual. Most of your questions are answered in there.
YES - it will cost you money!
NNB

VH-XXX
7th Jan 2014, 23:11
I spent a Saturday night at the Lower Light parachute club about 10 years ago. It was quite an occasion and when I first learnt that jumpers can be a wild bunch!

Biggles78
9th Jan 2014, 23:17
Also watch out for gaseous expulsions from your temporary passengers (and they seem to save the damn things up) as the gas always seems to waft to the front left side of the aircraft. Very unpleasant until you can get an appropriate airflow to clear said gas out of breathing vicinity. Jeez, I can still taste some of them....... :yuk:

Munz
9th Jan 2014, 23:20
Cheers NNB, i'll give him a shot a see what happens :)

Biggles78
10th Jan 2014, 00:31
Also watch out for gaseous expulsions from your temporary passengers (and they seem to save the damn things up) as the gas always seems to waft to the front left side of the aircraft. Very unpleasant until you can get an appropriate airflow to clear said gas out of breathing vicinity. Jeez, I can still taste some of them....... :yuk:

mcgrath50
10th Jan 2014, 01:31
It's amazing how much better the meat bombs are at controlling their bowels when you and the TMs institute a slab penalty each for all onboard when someone drops their guts.