PDA

View Full Version : cheapest flight school in australia including accomodation

airlinedream
5th Jan 2014, 10:04
Hi there im looking for a very cheap flight school in australia including accomodation. I belong to a low class family ans I have a very limited budget to fulfil my dreams.Your help would really be appreciated. Thank you

Jack Ranga
5th Jan 2014, 10:08
I'll do your PPL for 120 bucks including test fees, no worries :ok:

airlinedream
5th Jan 2014, 10:12
No offence jack but if I recall the big boy's gossip, 120 bucks was 20 years ago. Are you like serious ? Haha

Ultralights
5th Jan 2014, 10:16
cheap training usually equates to cheap quality of training.

Jack Ranga
5th Jan 2014, 10:22
No, airline dream, anybody who charges above $120 is a shonk! I will have to ask for the $120 up front though :ok:

airlinedream
5th Jan 2014, 10:32
Ok thanks jack and ultralights. Let me try rephrase my question. Up to Where can i go with 30k in australia?

SOPS
5th Jan 2014, 11:14
30k, I would think, might, just might get you a PPL. But you would have to sleep on the floor of the flight school I think. Standing by to be corrected.

airlinedream
5th Jan 2014, 12:18
Haha. Roger that.

MadMadMike
5th Jan 2014, 20:36
1) Do LAME apprenticeship
2) Acquire skills, contacts and experience in the industry
3) Complete CPL with money earned

:ok:

Horatio Leafblower
5th Jan 2014, 21:41
OR:

1/. Do diesel/hydraulic fitter apprenticeship
2/. Work in mines
3/. do a million other things with the money :8

sagan
5th Jan 2014, 22:02
Bl**dy hell, 9 posts and only 1 with any information for the guy. You lot are pathetic. I have been away from the flying school scene too long to have any reliable input. Airlinedream this site rarely gives anything worthwhile and attracts the types you have encountered. Most flying schools will have a website so you can get some idea. All flying schools will quote on minimum hours required which is a trap. Expect to pay 30 - 50% more ? Also, NEVER NEVER pay money or deposits up front. If a school 'requires' that go somewhere else. Too many people have lost big money after the school goes broke.

solowflyer
5th Jan 2014, 22:28
30k won't get you very far in oz. USA might be a better option. Other than that try for a cadetship or military.

Old Akro
5th Jan 2014, 22:31
Frankly, I'm not at all sure the cheapest place will be Australia. I'd check out New Zealand & Thailand for starters. And possibly the US

The cheaper options are more likely to be away from the major cities, although your cheapest accommodation option is probably to rent a room in a house which may be a bit easier in the city.

The cheapest way to do the flying is to study way ahead of the flying lessons. Do all the theory first. Memorise all the checklists & practice with a picture of the instrument panel. Understand the flying syllabus and prepare for each lesson. Know what you are setting out to learn before you get in the aeroplane. Probably do some simulator work too (PC at home with X-Plane), it helps get you into the routine. This will be the difference between doing the flying in close to the minimum hours vs way above the minimum hours.

If you are coming to Australia, I'd be choosing a flying school that you like and can hang around in between lessons. Maybe do odd jobs to reduce flying cost. Maybe take a job with a maintenance hangar sweeping floors so you get to see aeroplanes in pieces and see how they work. Take any rides you can with other guys. Quiz the instructors on the ground. Listen to radio calls and rehearse them on the ground.

Choose your instructors. The instructor you learn best from is the one you like best. Preferably one that is experienced and confident in how to instruct.

tmpffisch
5th Jan 2014, 22:47
Bl**dy hell, 9 posts and only 1 with any information for the guy. You lot are pathetic.

$30k for a CPL? Cost me $70k with my IR. What more do you expect?

+1 for Old Akro's advice.

VH-XXX
5th Jan 2014, 23:40
Airlinedream has also posted the same questions to the South African forum amongst others so hopefully he has some luck there.

Jack Ranga
6th Jan 2014, 00:00
Sagan, I resemble your comments :ugh: and by the way mate, I'm only asking for $120 up front, hardly going to break the guy:cool:

Aussie Bob
6th Jan 2014, 07:45
Airlinedream I reckon you are looking at something like this:

50 hours in a 172 for a PPL @ average $280.00 = $14,000.00 Now you have an Aussie PPL

Another 70 hours in command towards a CPL in a cheapie, say $220.00 would be around $15,400.00 Now you are ready to begin CPL training.

Another 30 hours in say a 182 at around $400.00 is another $12,000.00

Budget so far is $41,400.00

Add medical, exam fees, text books, accommodation etc and the budget will soon blow way past $50K and there is a huge proviso, the above hours are for a dedicated and talented student, an average punter will need more hours. It also assumes you can find an instructor who you like and a flying school who can put the package together. Good luck here although the instructor/school combo certainly exists.

$30k for a CPL? Cost me $70k with my IR. What more do you expect?I think tmpffisch is closer to the mark and my intuition tells me has has had a CPL for a while now. As others have said, America is worth a look and sure to be cheaper.

Old Acro's advice is gold. Good luck.