PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical

The_Captain320
3rd Jan 2014, 16:08
Hi.

Can anybody tell me what medical certificate i will receive if i take my initial class one medical test in Reunion island at the CEMPN? Will it be EASA?

Thanks.

Ulster
3rd Jan 2014, 18:24
Can anybody tell me what medical certificate i will receive if i take my initial class one medical test in Reunion island at the CEMPN? Will it be EASA?

Seems more than likely, since Reunion is a French administered territory, and France is now a fully operational member of EASA. Sorry, I have no idea what CEMPN stands for !

The only query I would have is whether INITIAL class 1 medicals would be done on a small remote outpost like that. In most countries, including the UK, initial class 1 examinations are done by the Authority itself, at Gatwick or Heathrow. This would be rather like the CAA permitting an AME on the Isle of Skye to conduct initial class 1 medicals ! :confused:

The_Captain320
5th Jan 2014, 18:51
CEMPN stands for "Centre d'expertise medical du personnel naviguant" which basically means a medical centre for flight crew.

I think you raised a good point about the initial class one. I'll try to call them and ask.

Btw, if i hold an EASA class 1 and decide not to fly in Europe, do i need another class 1? If yes, will it be easier for me to obtain the class 1 in a non-european state (considering the fact that i already hold an EASA class 1)?

Ulster
5th Jan 2014, 20:44
BTW, if I hold an EASA class 1 and decide not to fly in Europe, do I need another class 1? If yes, will it be easier for me to obtain the class 1 in a non-european state (considering the fact that I already hold an EASA class 1)?

Basically, the medical you need depends on two things ; firstly your State Of Licence Issue (SOLI) ; and secondly the privileges you are exercising at any given time. If you were flying on a non-european licence, which was supported by a medical certificate also from elsewhere, then it would be OK to let an EASA certificate lapse in the interim. But beware ! In the UK (maybe elsewhere in EASA-land too), if you let a class 1 lapse for more than four years (ie more than five years since its issue), then you may find you have to return to Gatwick (or wherever) for another initial class 1 medical. :=