PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Medical Dec on old UK CAA Licence

S-Works
2nd Jan 2014, 13:47
Is the NPPL medical declaration still valid in conjunction with an old lifetime UK CAA PPL?

I seem to recall something about it being extended?

Whopity
2nd Jan 2014, 14:11
ORS4 No 995
The use of a Medical Declaration or Light Aircraft Pilot Licence Medical Certificate
with UK Pilot Licences other than NPPL when flying SSEA, SLMG and Microlight
Aeroplanes
In this exemption a specified pilot licence is a pilot licence issued by the CAA, other than a
National Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) or a licence issued or deemed to have been
issued in accordance with the Aircrew Regulation, which permits the holder to fly simple
single engine aeroplanes (SSEA), self launching motor gliders (SLMG) or microlight
aeroplanes.Valid till 30 Sept 16

S-Works
2nd Jan 2014, 14:12
Thanks Whoppity. That will please my student no end!!

Whopity
2nd Jan 2014, 14:27
It was news to me but I guessed where to look first time!

BEagle
2nd Jan 2014, 15:48
That will please my student no end!!

How will it benefit a student?:confused:

S-Works
2nd Jan 2014, 19:05
Oh let me think...... Lapsed rating by a number of years due to medical issue. Now has an NPPL medical so was doing training as required in order to pass an LPC which has now been done. He thought he would need to get an NPPL in order to fly but can use his existing licence for the moment.

I assume I don't need to cut and paste the definition of a student?

BEagle
2nd Jan 2014, 21:33
The ORS4 No 995 exemption cannot be used for renewal of a lapsed SEP Class Rating.

You need to read the (admittedly badly written) Explanatory Note in http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4%20995.pdf .

The fact that a person has been flying on the basis of this exemption will not be sufficient for the CAA to be satisfied that a person is physically fit for the purposes of the grant, renewal, or reissue of any specified licence under article 64(1) of the Air Navigation Order; or a licence issued under Regulation (EU) No.1178/2011; or the inclusion, revalidation or renewal of any rating that may not be included in a National Private Pilot’s Licence under article 65(3).

So if your 'student' (and yes, I do know what one of those is, thank you :rolleyes: ) doesn't hold a valid rating, he will need to apply for an NPPL. But why not persuade him to obtain a LAPL medical and convert to a LAPL(A)?

Level Attitude
3rd Jan 2014, 00:50
The ORS4 No 995 exemption cannot be used for renewal of a lapsed
SEP Class Rating.A valid medical is not a requirement to revalidate or renew a rating by an
FE "in the field".

There will be some people who will revalidate their SEP Rating and then
not believe the Examiner who told them it can now not be used for SSEA
privileges using a GP Medical declaration - and that they must pay to have
an actual SSEA Rating added to their Licence.

S-Works
3rd Jan 2014, 07:51
He has applied for an NPPL, I was hoping that his would provide him with a way of flying until it arrives.

He does not want a LAPL at the moment as he fully expects to get his normal Class 2 back in due course and get an EASA PPL.

Like many of us, he thinks the LAPL is a crock and just a route to pigeon hole private flying.