PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Place You've Ever Pinned Your Wings?

Lima Juliet
1st Jan 2014, 23:44
I've just been watching this video of the Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield and I couldn't help noticing that his RCAF wings are pinned to the wall in the ISS above the "Recording in progress" sign.

Now apart from outside the Goose in the Falklands and the Ambioryx in Leuven, where is the coolest place you've ever left your wings?

Here's Chris Hadfield's video - some stunning footage...

Space Oddity - YouTube

Trim Stab
2nd Jan 2014, 07:17
The Coolest Place You've Ever Pinned Your Wings?

On my right shoulder :-)

airborne_artist
2nd Jan 2014, 07:34
I married the daughter of a retired Major who had held that rank aged 21 in Burma. My father was serving as a Commodore, whose sword we used to cut the cake. My wings were on the cake.

That was 27 years ago. I now have the sword, and still have the same wife.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jan 2014, 10:36
Goose and Ambioryx :ok:

Also, when the F3 OCU changed numberplate and 65 Sqn became 56 Sqn, we all put our 65 Sqn wings into a helium balloon with a note. We got a letter several weeks later from a delighted Danish fisherman's daughter.

MAD Boom
2nd Jan 2014, 12:49
Not my wings, but I've placed some Nimrod lick-on tattoos in some fairly interesting places..................

Boy_From_Brazil
2nd Jan 2014, 12:59
Leon J

What an amazing video. Thanks for posting!

BFB

Dan Winterland
2nd Jan 2014, 13:06
Trader John's, Pensacola.

BEagle
2nd Jan 2014, 15:03
The superbly non-PC Czech air force hosted rather a good air show at Hradec Kralove in the early 1990s. Which included a very attractive stripper at the hangar bash.... Fortunately the infamous cloggie air force mates were prevented from creating their usual mayhem.

Needless to say, the 'velcro effect' was checked by some of the audience using squadron badges. I don't think anyone lost their brevet though...:ooh:

She took it in good heart with a beaming smile though, as no-one attempted to go too far. Although her minders looked a bit concerned at times!

Grobling About
2nd Jan 2014, 17:00
Beagle, was that '93 or '94? Memorable party, I remember the invitation said "Major General Klop (can't remember his actual name), Chief of the Czech Air Force invites you to a hangar party to celebrate Air Fest 93 (or 4). Festivities to include: free food, free drink, raffle and striptease." I bet that doesn't happen any more. The Jaguar team had just about run out of zaps, badges and Sqn knickers (oh yes and very popular they had proved), but it did prove an effective diversion while we borrowed the entrance sign from the hangar.

TheWizard
2nd Jan 2014, 17:10
Needless to say, the 'velcro effect' was checked by some of the audience using squadron badges.

A different era. You would be better off with contact adhesive or blu-tack these days!! :E

teeteringhead
2nd Jan 2014, 18:16
A different era. Indeed. One understands that the poor papillon d'amour is an endangered species due to anthropogenic loss of habitat. ;)

ShotOne
2nd Jan 2014, 19:33
Does drawing them on in biro count?

BEagle
2nd Jan 2014, 19:48
BEagle, was that '93 or '94? Memorable party, I remember the invitation said "Major General Klop (can't remember his actual name), Chief of the Czech Air Force invites you to a hangar party to celebrate Air Fest 93 (or 4). Festivities to include: free food, free drink, raffle and striptease." I bet that doesn't happen any more.

17 July 1993. I've lost the old invite, but your memory is correct - 'The Commander in Chief of the Czech Air Force and air defences invites you to a hangar party - free food, drink, folk dancing...and the aforementioned striptease.' There was also a beauty contest and my favourite was the winner.

We all changed £15 into Czech crowns when we arrived and most of us had about £5 left after the weekend.

Enjoying a drink with the old boys of the ex-WW2 Czech RAF squadrons was a real highlight though - they had such tales to tell. Then we discovered that the nice young chap who fetched the drinks was actually the C-in-C!

Grobling About
2nd Jan 2014, 20:08
I'd forgotten the beauty contest, if I remember correctly the UK Air Attache had the honour of being one of the judges.

That weekend I also learnt how many crates of beer you could fit into a Jaguar.

BEagle
2nd Jan 2014, 21:18
Being somewhat used to visiting strange places, I guessed that check-in at the hotel would be chaotic. So I briefed the co-pilot (TDLFCC) to get off the coach and go straight to reception to book us in - and we would sort out his luggage. Which worked a treat - we all had single rooms whereas some Jag Wg Cdrs had to share. Sorry chaps!

I also learned the Czech for "Very sorry, there's no transport" - "Ees ten minute valk", whether that's 5 or 20 min!

A great, eye-opening trip though as the wall hadn't been down long and the locals were still getting used to their freedom.

My hotel room had an en-suite shower. This was a shower head on a length of hose hanging down from the lavatory ceiling. I declined its use! Also, there was a radio in my 'luxury' room which only covered the old OIRT 65.8-74 Mhz FM band - no longer in use. It hissed and popped, but couldn't find any stations!

But what a friendly, hospitable country. Apart, that it is, from some rather oily ex-MiG 21 pilot we met, who was trying to make a living flying a Cessna 172 and clearly missed his previous lifestyle.

L J R
3rd Jan 2014, 07:32
ex-MiG 21 pilot we met, who was trying to make a living flying a Cessna 172 and clearly missed his previous lifestyle.

...not sure which aircraft one could count on walking away from (safely) on a daily basis though

RRAAMJET
4th Jan 2014, 03:50
BEags....
Was at that
Swapped my wings for a Czech "checker" Sqn patch...just checked downstairs: still got it here in Florida Keys....
Cheers