PDA

View Full Version : Lake Hume ultralight crash. 2 years on...

YMAYguy
1st Jan 2014, 22:47
Just curious to know if anyone knows where this investigation is up to? Is it a Police matter? CASA?

It made for some sensational news down this way 2 years ago and was the subject of a pprune thread.

Captured: 'Buzzing' before Hume crash | The Border Mail (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/13658/captured-buzzing-before-hume-crash/)

and from the Border Mail this time last year...

Lake Hume buzz, crash probe continues | The Border Mail (http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1237785/lake-hume-buzz-crash-probe-continues/)

"AN investigation into an ultralight crash at Lake Hume a year ago still has not been finished.

A Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman said it was not known how much longer the probe would take.

Initial separate investigations revealed the ultralight pilot was unlicensed and his plane unregistered."

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/473096-pilot-survives-crash-into-lake-hume.html

Saratogapp
2nd Jan 2014, 10:03
Good question..... How often. Do the news services report these spectacular stories with no follow up? You could always ask the Border Mail Rag for an update.

kaz3g
2nd Jan 2014, 11:38
The media also quoted NSW police as saying that the matter had been referred to CASA.

One would have hoped, based on the allegations, that police would have filed charges independently of CASA for conduct endangering life, etc.

Kaz

VH-XXX
2nd Jan 2014, 20:19
But the pilot said in the video that he never went below 500ft. Perhaps the qnh changed after takeoff as how do we REALLY know the height of the ground or water below us? :ouch:

Volumex
2nd Jan 2014, 20:54
CASA are too busy regulating non-issues such as licence labels or Go-Pros to be worried about anything that actually causes crashes.

bankrunner
2nd Jan 2014, 21:39
So according to CASA, I'm quite welcome to fly around buzzing people at low altitude in an unregistered aircraft, without a license with no problems from them. As long as said unregistered aircraft doesn't have an unapproved GoPro mount :ok:

But should I have a single 't' not crossed on my paperwork if I'm an AOC holder... watch out! :eek:

Jabawocky
3rd Jan 2014, 01:28
bankrunner........now ya getting the idea :D

If it were not so serious, it would be funny. :sad:

Aussie Bob
3rd Jan 2014, 05:50
But the pilot said in the video that he never went below 500ft.

Not totally honest our man, Lake Hume is slightly above 500ft. Maybe he sunk a bit before rising to get to the 500ft mark.

Wallsofchina
3rd Jan 2014, 21:35
As I recall RA Aus went into a "nothing to do with us mode" because the aircraft was not registered/had no reg markings and the pilot was not licensed, and this was followed by a series of four CASA audits, each one failed by RA Aus, which unearthed big numbers of non conforming aircraft, incorrect certification, incorrect approvals, etc and CASA had to step in and set up a procedure where every single aircraft was checked, photos taken and filed, correctly identified by external markings, and in some cases virtually turned into a prohibited import which could never be used.
This process caused a backup in registrations of hundreds of aircraft, with many owners unable to use their aircraft.

kaz3g
3rd Jan 2014, 22:28
WOC said:

As I recall RA Aus went into a "nothing to do with us mode" because the aircraft was not registered/had to reg markings and the pilot was not licensed, and this was followed by a series of four CASA audits, each one failed by RA Aus, which unearthed big numbers of non conforming aircraft, incorrect certification, incorrect approvals, etc and CASA had to step in and set up a procedure where every single aircraft was checked, photos taken and filed, correctly identified by external markings, and in some cases virtually turned into a prohibited import which could never be used.
This process caused a backup in registrations of hundreds of aircraft, with many owners unable to use their aircraft

I don't quite see the correlation between somebody allegedly breaking the Act and the CARs while behaving in a manner dangerous to the public (evidenced by the photos and video footage that were available at the time) and the audit problems faced by RAAus.

The latter were a disgrace and those in charge are now largely part of a sad history, but they in no way account for or excuse the alleged behaviour which reflects on us all who drive machines that fly.

Kaz

Aussie Bob
4th Jan 2014, 02:50
I don't quite see the correlation between somebody allegedly breaking the Act and the CARs while behaving in a manner dangerous to the public (evidenced by the photos and video footage that were available at the time) and the audit problems faced by RAAus.Kaz, I think what WOC is saying is the all too frequent behavior of CASA which is: If we can't get you for this (dangerous idiot in aeroplane) we will get you for that (full audit). I don't know if that is what happened but I would not be surprised.

The latter were a disgrace and those in charge are now largely part of a sad history, but they in no way account for or excuse the alleged behaviour which reflects on us all who drive machines that fly.
Disgrace is a bit harsh, I am sure those in charge at the time had good intent. CASA are the kings of wanting perfect paperwork. Any AOC holder/chief pilot will agree. Incorrect paperwork does not always mean shoddy business and fortunately CASA know this as well. And sadly, yes, a single halfwit can do a lot of harm which reflects on all of us.