PDA

View Full Version : TC is now Sir TC

SOPS
31st Dec 2013, 19:54
Congratulations to TC

Emirates CEO Tim Clark knighted - Business Traveller (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/100091/emirates-ceo-tim-clark-knighted)

myekppa
1st Jan 2014, 04:10
I'd second that.

Praise Jebus
1st Jan 2014, 08:36
How very British.....he's spent decades in foreign lands, forging an alliance with the Natives, gaining their trust and doing jolly well for him self to boot...I say give that man a Knighthood. Who cares if its led to some pretty rough patches for good old Big Airlines...he's one of us after all what! hear hear... now pass the Pims old boy...

Emma Royds
1st Jan 2014, 17:50
No surprise there then, the rumours have been doing the rounds for a while. It will be interesting to see if the rumours of his departure after his Knighthood turnout to be true as well.

With the sponsorship of the 2014 Commonwealth Games, the Queen's Baton Relay as well as the recent introduction of the Thames 'Emirates Air Line' link and the 'Emirates Aviation Experience' in London, it could be argued that the timing of his knighthood is perhaps a little more than simply a coincidence.

After all, cosying up to Boris won't have been done out of the goodness of his heart! ;)

Capetonian
1st Jan 2014, 18:21
Whilst he has indisputably done well for Emirates and for the loathsome Emirate which is its base, I would have thought that he way he has taken Emirates to such a dominant position on so many routes would have made him persona non grata as far as the UK was concerned. No doubt he has been good to the right people.

awblain
1st Jan 2014, 20:13
So, you can still get what you pay for!

kumul1
1st Jan 2014, 22:32
Come on guys, New Yorks Mayor Giuliani was knighted in 2002, and I doubt if he even knows what a Gin & Tonic looks like.
Well done TC.

Tankengine
1st Jan 2014, 23:46
Surely he should be made a 'Sheik" or "Sultan" instead of "Knight"!:rolleyes::zzz:

crewmeal
2nd Jan 2014, 05:57
If Cameron's cronies can get 'gongs' for doing absolutely nothing along with one or two going to whistleblowers, then I feel TC deserves his. He has done some hard work to get EK where it is today.

I wonder why WW hasn't received his for services to BA?

awblain
2nd Jan 2014, 06:52
It's not so difficult to "work hard" when you have slave laborers and free fuel.

I wonder what will be on the citation? For services:

… against the airline services of free states?
… against his native land?
… to the sovereign wealth funds of despotic feudal dictatorships?
… to launch-aid repayment from wing factories in Wales?
… to dangling Boris Johnson in front of the world's media?

White Knight
2nd Jan 2014, 07:09
… against the airline services of free states?

Those'll be the airlines that have either Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection then? Or state sponsered airlines? Or those that should have been allowed to die out and fade away years ago:rolleyes:

… against his native land?

Not the impression I get. Airports such as Newcastle and Glasgow were very happy to get EK operating into them; a big boost to local economies and 'oop north' needs it... Whereas BA has pulled out of the regions totally except for franchise operators:hmm:

He may not be on my Christmas list but whatever anyone says I believe that he has done well at what he was tasked to do...

kumul1
2nd Jan 2014, 07:16
Without risking a thread drift, Free Fuel??????:ugh: How many times has this MYTH been dragged through this forum?

Give the guy his dues. He saw an opportunity to make money for a company entrusted to him by using all available sources, and he did.

5 A380's to Heathrow, 3 B777 to Gatwick DAILY and numerous other UK destinations certainly deserves some sort of recognition from HM for services to the people, I would think.

DCS99
2nd Jan 2014, 08:18
TC has done more for MAN, BHX, NCL et al than the resident national carrier.

Emma Royds
3rd Jan 2014, 01:31
With the amount of EK branding that you see in the UK nowadays in one form or another, you would be forgiven for thinking that EK is actually the national carrier of the UK.

crewmeal
3rd Jan 2014, 06:06
Careful for what you wish for. I'm sure there is a lot of political work going on behind the scenes to close the the gap across the Pacific and the Atlantic. When that happens it will be 'Lord Dubai'

motojet
11th Jan 2014, 06:16
Article on TC and EK for those interested:

Emirates President Tim Clark Is Person Of The Year (http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_01_09_2014_p0-653064.xml)

DCS99
11th Jan 2014, 06:34
20 more years of Sir TC...!

The interviewer speculates, but who knows...

Capetonian
11th Jan 2014, 06:45
Excellent article and very fair, showing TC as a visionary whose determination and business prowess resulting in a massively successful airline.

Whilst not disputing the value of what he has done for the Emirate and the airline, I fail to see why he deserves recognition from the UK just because he happens to be a British citizen (born in the Netherlands Antilles by the way.). EK has certainly provided employment opportunities for people in the UK at and around the regional airports from which it operates, but it has taken revenue from UK carriers by doing so. One might argue, correctly, that they should have seen and availed themselves of those business opportunities.

RexBanner
11th Jan 2014, 07:23
Capetonian Terry Butcher former English football captain was born in Singapore, Boris Johnson was born in New York. Are they not British as a result of having popped out of the womb outside of our shores?

Capetonian
11th Jan 2014, 07:28
RexBanner : I'm not disputing that he's British, you may have missed my point.

What I'm questioning is why he was awarded a knighthood for services to British prosperity and to the aviation industry, when the beneficiaries have been the Emirates, Dubai specifically, and Emirates Airline. He has done stuff all for the UK airlines' prosperity, rather the opposite.

RexBanner
11th Jan 2014, 07:53
It's a fair point. Although he has done a sterling job of lining the pockets of many British expats in Dubai! (Historically of course, this forum gives me the impression those are now days of the past).

Al Murdoch
16th Jan 2014, 05:54
The honours system recognises achievement and service, among other things. They don't necessarily need to be in relation to the UK.

Capetonian
16th Jan 2014, 06:40
So on that basis, Ariel Sharon should have been awarded a knighthood for services to Israel perhaps?

falconeasydriver
16th Jan 2014, 07:00
No Cape, even your attempt at sarcasm misses the point..

Citizens from the 15 Commonwealth Realms (countries which have The Queen as their Monarch, in addition to the UK) are eligible to receive a number of honours, both via the UK Honours system and, where relevant, the honours system of their own country.

Note the word citizens...Ariel Sharon was neither a British or commonwealth citizen, so was therefore not considered! maybe he might qualify for an honorary one.

Foreign citizens occasionally receive honorary knighthoods; they are not dubbed, and they do not use the style 'Sir'.

Such knighthoods are conferred by The Queen, on the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, on those who have made an important contribution to relations between their country and Britain.

Foreign citizens given knighthoods over the years include Chancellor Kohl, President Mitterrand and Mayor Giuliani of New York.

Capetonian
16th Jan 2014, 07:05
I know that, my remark was entirely flippant.

falconeasydriver
16th Jan 2014, 07:36
Then perhaps Cape you could get off your high horse for long enough to acknowledge that TC is at the very least, no less deserving than many many others who have received similar awards?
I'm no great fan of the man either, but I do recognise that outside of London he has done a very great deal to improve access via the airline to the rest of the world. BA have for years neglected the regions, numurous wanderings through water-world with a longtime BA chum who has described at great length the almost allergic reaction that BA had to any thought of even a token presence beyond LHR/LGW merely confirmed to me what many have already said.
You can lament as much as you like about the double standards and hypocrisy that you perceive in a place like Dubai, but the fact is, that is the reality of the place and neither you or I can change it.
Along the way TC has led a highly successful business to the point where he has been recognised for its contribution to the UK, by default it has also led many of us to pursue successful tenures in our time with EK, allowed us to educate our kids, my wife has been able to complete her masters degree, and in general lots of us have experienced the type of job security (within the usual cultural caveats that exist in the Middle East) that many of us would never had experienced back home in Blighty.
I personally own a few rental properties (purchased essentially derelict and rebuilt by myself and local tradespeople) all funded through UK banks on the back of my EK salary, now rented to working families in the UK.....and I am only one of 3400 pilots, 14000 cabin crew who for their part contribute financially to their own home economies. I haven't mentioned the Bangladeshi guy I spoke to on the ramp the other day who was driving a loader who told me his "meagre" EK salary has supported his extended family for the past 8 years and helped him buy a farm.
If all that is detrimental to the wider UK economy, then I'm yet to see it for myself.

Capetonian
16th Jan 2014, 07:51
That's an interesting and valid alternative view, and I'm glad to see that there are people who have benefited from the growth and success of EK.
For every credit, there has to be a debit, so for all those who, like yourself, have profited, others have lost or suffered. That is always going to be so.
My view of the airline and the emirate remain unchanged, 'high horse' or not. You are of course entirely right about BA's arrogance and lack of foresight, but that's another story.

Wizofoz
16th Jan 2014, 11:29
For every credit, there has to be a debit,

Only in a zero-sum game, which global commerce isn't.

momo95
16th Jan 2014, 11:48
I fail to see how EK operating to Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Gatwick has been detrimental to UK carriers. I mean it's hardly as if BA would have connected those cities to Dubai and the world. They also have Dublin in the bag, a route which Aer Lingus tried a few years back but it proved to be a failure. This guy does deserve recognition.

8sugarsugar
16th Jan 2014, 12:34
who cares, our boss is a knight. Sounds a bit silly.

crewmeal
16th Jan 2014, 16:52
I fail to see how EK operating to Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham and Gatwick has been detrimental to UK carriers. I mean it's hardly as if BA would have connected those cities to Dubai and the world.

Before EK operated (BHX excluded) their vast network many BA flights from the regions connected to the LHR hub with onward connections to DXB SIN and BKK, so BA have all but lost that market to EK. Don't forget BA only have one flight a day through to SYD, but EK have many connections via DXB all available from your local airport. A small price to pay who knows? BA's tired old frames also contribute to the popularity with other carriers to the Gulf (see plenty of threads on here and flyertalk).

Now if EK break into the UK - Atlantic market which I'm sure they will be looking at then that certainly will have a detrimental affect on BA. Infact I bet many BA domestic flights will go.

momo95
16th Jan 2014, 19:01
"Now if EK break into the UK - Atlantic market"

Fair point, they've done a similar Atlantic thing with Milan and JFK.

Craggenmore
17th Jan 2014, 12:35
Capey

EK has certainly provided employment opportunities for people in the UK at and around the regional airports from which it operates, but it has taken revenue from UK carriers by doing so. One might argue, correctly, that they should have seen and availed themselves of those business opportunities.

EK put 5 380's in and out of LHR each day. These planes are mostly full. APD for each of the 76 business class seats to DXB is £130 per person.

That's £18 million a year just for Business APD.

Now add in 14 first class seats and 427 economy seats daily X 5 X 365.

Now add in fuel, airport charges, catering and every thing else.

Now add....

2 GLA's a day 777's
3 MAN's a day 2 x 777's and 1 x 380
1 NCL's a day 777
1 BHX's a day 777
and lastly 3 LGW's a day 3 x 777 (380 from late March)

I'm surprised that the UK government actually care for BA anymore especially as all it's helping to do is keep Iberia afloat.

EK's contribution to the UK economy is large!

WW a knighthood - really? He's done nothing. He's taken over the running of a backwards looking airline. Why aren't BA sending 5 747's to Dubai each day?

Capetonian
17th Jan 2014, 13:16
Craggenmore Interesting points you've raised, but I think the fallacy in your argument about APD is that if EK didn't offer such a huge range of origins and destinations, that APD would still be paid by other airlines operating the same route, so if EK didn't exist or operate, it wouldn't be lost to the Exchequer, it would simply come from a different source.

I appreciate that EK may generate a certain amount of new traffic because of their low fares, but that is limited. For example, I have friends who used to travel on EK two or three times a year to ZA and CN, whereas if they couldn't find such cheap fares they would travel less. As it happens, their last two experiences with EK have been so bad that having used their Miles for upgrades on their last flights, they are now switching their loyalty to other carriers. The APD will still be paid on those flights.

BYMONEK
17th Jan 2014, 17:04
CAP

Same money but lost to other airlines? Not really, that would have to assume that the other airlines would also operate A380's on those same 5 slots into LHR AND that most of those flights had a high load factor in the premium cabins. 90 potential premium pax per single departure is a lot of revenue for the UK government.

glofish
18th Jan 2014, 04:51
A remark on the sideline, applying to all flights and used as argument here:

Does anyone know how many passengers effectively pay premium and how many are upgraded?

I am a bit sceptical, recent flights I could follow (all fleets) showed F around 15%, C 25% ........ rest is upgrade / filling.

These premium seat equations do not convince me.

Capetonian
18th Jan 2014, 05:06
BYMONEK

Why? If the passengers are travelling anyway in premium it makes no difference which airline they travel on. Only if Emirates are generating hitherto untapped business then your argument is valid.

And potential revenue is worth zero.

crewmeal
18th Jan 2014, 06:33
Why aren't BA sending 5 747's to Dubai each day?

Because BA don't have a hub in DXB. I can't give a percentage of transit pax that go onwards from DXB, but I bet it's high.

2 GLA's a day 777's
3 MAN's a day 2 x 777's and 1 x 380
1 NCL's a day 777
1 BHX's a day 777
and lastly 3 LGW's a day 3 x 777 (380 from late March)

Slight ammendment - it's 2 a day.

Wizofoz
18th Jan 2014, 09:37
Why? If the passengers are travelling anyway in premium it makes no difference which airline they travel on.

It does if EK is the only airline on the routs using the A 380, or if the EK 777 is the largest aircraft to that destination (which is the case with most European flights)

Airport slots are a finite resource. EK can put more passengers and therefore more revenue into an airport per slot than anyone else.

Wizofoz
18th Jan 2014, 09:38
I can't give a percentage of transit pax that go onwards from DXB, but I bet it's high.

70%- and a lot of the 30% are only breaking the journey before travelling on to other destinations.

BYMONEK
18th Jan 2014, 10:04
Roughly 85% are transit.....and some of those are rough too! :ooh:

Glofish raises a good point. There are certain destinations where Y class is often overbooked so J gets filled with SFU pax. J paying pax then spill into F which ends up full even though there was only one or two to start with. My question is do we as staff pax get our tax back on ticket refunds if we're downgraded into Y from J or F? With only two people departing from UK, that's 160 quid difference in tax!

glofish
21st Jan 2014, 03:47
In business terms TC might deserve knighthood, even from the likes he shafted!

If you look at his peoples skills however ..... A true knight would need some of that as well.

The staff travel-gate of now is just one proof of complete absence of the latter. Just as being the only self appointed legacy carrier that took away jump seat travel. Having a pilot sibling he knows perfectly well that it is only a matter of contempt of pilots (envy?) and nothing else, because it would even increase revenue. Another thing is the bunk saga. Any decent aiine offers a seat for rest and meals, not Timmy. You have to lie for 7h at 10am and if he had it his way, this could be done 4h on, 4h off eternally!! Safety? What is that? Take it or leave it.

On the human level i give TC a dwarfhood.

crewmeal
21st Jan 2014, 05:34
That said he's made money for the airline so they can expand in the future. I can't comment about internal politics on how the airline is run. I'd leave that to those that run the various depatments.

Compared with some of Cameron's cronies I'd definately say he deserves his knighthood for achievment to the business world.

dartman2
21st Jan 2014, 19:49
Wasn't he the muppet quoted in FI a few years back as planning to run the 380 like a submarine? I think his plan was to have the crew basically live on the thing for a few days. He said the crews would love it because the savings in hotel accommodation would be passed onto them...

ROKAPE
23rd Jan 2014, 04:36
Shouldn't he have been awarded an OBE (Other Bastards Efforts)?