PDA

View Full Version : 1974 Chipmunk Challenge

AndrewClark
31st Dec 2013, 07:23
I've been advised to ask for help on this forum.

Back in August 1974, as a young ATC cadet on summer camp at RAF West Raynham in Norfolk, I had my first air experience flight in a Chipmunk. For many years after that I kept a logbook which contained the details of every aircraft that I had been inside, or flown in. Sadly, somewhere down the line, this has been lost and I have often wondered what the serial number of that Chipmunk was. I'm hoping that the knowledgeable people who post on this website may be able to help me to identify the aircraft. I'm pretty sure that it will be imposible to get a definitive answer, as if my failing memory is remotely accurate, there were two in use during the camp.

Any help at all that anyone can give will be very welcome - thanks in advance and optimism!

longer ron
1st Jan 2014, 17:58
It was always going to be a long shot Andrew,have you any pictures from that summer camp ?

lowlifebrat
1st Jan 2014, 18:09
Could have been the one I flew in 1968 G-AOST I have a photo of it also
[email protected]

Geezers of Nazareth
1st Jan 2014, 22:21
I know it's not much, but ...

as far as I remember, there were no Chipmunk flights based at RAF West Raynham at the time, but each year the various AEF units did deploy a few aircraft around the UK for Cadet flying ... known as 'Summer Camps'.

The first step might be to try to find out which AEF were doing their Summer Camp at W-R during August '74, and then try to work out which aircraft they had on-strength at the time. A typical AEF might have between 5 and 7 aircraft at any one time, but they usually only sent 3 or 4 aircraft away on Summer Camps, leaving some back at base for maintenance or training of their own local Cadets.

A couple of 7 AEF Chipmunks were recorded at West Raynham in the middle of July 1974 ... maybe it was them and they stayed until August?

sycamore
2nd Jan 2014, 18:17
Try a search oa AH &Nost,as there was a long thread there,I think,; alternatively try `Historic....` on `Flypast/Key publishing....