PDA

View Full Version : 2014 New Year Honours (merged)

Faithless
30th Dec 2013, 21:59
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-years-honours-lists-2014

Hangarshuffle
30th Dec 2013, 22:20
New Year Honours 2014: list in full - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/honours-list/10542766/New-Year-Honours-2014-list-in-full.html)

The list sums up the nation we now are?

The B Word
30th Dec 2013, 22:26
From the Telegraph:

MILITARY DIVISION - ROYAL AIR FORCE
ORDER OF THE BATH
KCB
Air Marshal Stephen John Hillier, CBE, DFC. Royal Air Force.
CB
Air Vice-Marshal Lindsay John Irvine. Royal Air Force.
Air Vice-Marshal Ross Paterson, OBE. Royal Air Force.
ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE
CBE
Group Capt Christina Reid Elliot. Royal Air Force, 9557V.
Air Commodore Stuart Charles Evans. Royal Air Force.
Group Capt Ian Steven Pollitt, MBE. Royal Air Force.
Group Capt Steven Roger Thornber. Royal Air Force.
OBE
Wing Cdr Philip Alan Brooker. Royal Air Force.
Wing Cdr Richard Ian Langley. Royal Air Force.
Wing Cdr Allan Paul Marshall. Royal Air Force.
Wing Cdr John Finbar Monahan, DFC. Royal Air Force.
Wing Cdr Roger Lee Morgan. Royal Air Force.
Group Capt Simon John Spence. Royal Air Force.
MBE
Sqn Ldr Alistair John Allsop. Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr John Ian Chappell. Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Paul Thomas Hamilton. Royal Air Force.
WO Brian Jeffrey. Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Alasdair Ian Craig Kirk. Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Joanna Madin. Royal Air Force.
WO Barry Anthony McEvoy. Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Christopher Melville. Robert Royal Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Peter Mockeridge. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (Training).
WO David Mark Palfreman. Royal Air Force.
Flt Lt Philip John Powell. Royal Air Force.
Flt Lt Walter Dewar Sutherland. Royal Auxiliary Air Force.
Sqn Ldr Angela Unsworth. Royal Air Force.

Damn, missed me again! :{

Corporal Clott
30th Dec 2013, 22:30
Good to see Steve Hillier, Lindsay Irvine and Chrissie Elliott on the list (although Chrissie is now a 1-star I believe?). All fantastic air-rankers IMHO.

Congrats to all :ok:

CPL Clott

ShotOne
30th Dec 2013, 22:43
Does it? It seems mostly filled with government servants rewarded for doing no more than the jobs they were paid to do...just as it always has been.

TheWizard
30th Dec 2013, 22:50
Royal Air Force list
RAF - New Years Honours 2014 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/newyearshonours2014.cfm)

Dave Wilson
30th Dec 2013, 22:51
Depressing to think all of them are younger than me..:( Dave Wilson LS+GCM. Seriously, well done to all and enjoy the day.

middleground
30th Dec 2013, 23:55
Always has been, but at least Pete Tong recognised....WTF!!

Services to night clubbing and the rave scene......:rolleyes:

iRaven
31st Dec 2013, 00:03
I note on the RAF link it says: Order No 3 MSM, Order No 4 CAS Commendation, Order No 5 DCOMS' Commendation, etc...

What happened to Orders No 1 and 2?

iRaven

Lima Juliet
31st Dec 2013, 00:05
Mods - dupliclated thread material. Please can you merge? :O

blimey
31st Dec 2013, 02:48
Nauseating - especially with reference to those who've simply done a bit of dressing up and showing off.

Jayand
1st Jan 2014, 01:42
No one below WO deserved an MBE or OBE, Really??

muttywhitedog
1st Jan 2014, 10:10
Of course not :=. The erks can be given a commendation and be grateful ;).

God forbid someone with mere stripes on their No1's (even if they have twice as many campaign medals) being allowed in the Palace!!!!

Sloppy Link
1st Jan 2014, 10:37
Those at the higher echelons are in a position to be noticed for acts worthy of the award. Pleasing to see a Private Soldier from the Army recognised, more power to the elbow of whoever wrote him up. Regardless, well done all.

CoffmanStarter
1st Jan 2014, 11:13
Forgive ...

HQ 22 (Trg) Gp

Team Commendation

Business & Finance Management Team

What's one of them then ... have 22 Group opened a Bank :cool:

Jimlad1
1st Jan 2014, 12:17
For those moaning about the lack of junior presence, I would ask this. What have you actively done to push for those junior to you, who you believe are worthy of such an award to get one?

I passionately believe in recognition of effort, and always take enormous pleasure in writing a congratulatory note to people I know who are recognised, because they deserve it.

Its all very well bitching about how life isn't fair, but unless you actively push for the recognition of your people, you are hardly in a position to complain that they arent rewarded. New Years resolution for all of us should be to champion the cause of our people!

SASless
1st Jan 2014, 12:47
Who is this "John Chappell" chap.....does he hail from Nottinghamshire? Perhaps named for the Master of the Good Ship "Speedwell"?

Pontius Navigator
1st Jan 2014, 14:42
I passionately believe in recognition of effort, and always take enormous pleasure in writing a congratulatory note to people I know who are recognised, because they deserve it.

In my first year in command I was able to make a direct recommendation to the AOC. One of my men got the commendation - team awards were not available - and this female came in spitting feathers.

Later, when the branches on the tree drooped my recs were intercepted by my parent unit. One rec was downgraded to a Stn Cdr's commendation and the other was refused. The Stn Cdr didn't know either person and had never visit his lodger unit.

Pour encourager les autres :(

Willard Whyte
1st Jan 2014, 15:05
May I express my unfettered joy at the fact that the Queen's Swan Marker has been awarded a well deserved MVO, and I look forward, along with tens of thousands of others, to the Swan Upping activities this July.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/royaleventsandceremonies/swanupping/swanupping.aspx

tmmorris
1st Jan 2014, 15:52
Good letter in today's Telegraph suggesting part of the problem is that the abolition of the BEM (reintroduced for civilians in 2012 but not military) has left a vacuum. In theory anyone can be written up for an MBE; in practice officers aren't doing so.

Whenurhappy
1st Jan 2014, 16:30
Congratulations to one and all.

I find it mildly disconcerting that, although still serving, I know none of the recipients, except the Air Ranks, and then only by their names do I need to get out more?

Hangarshuffle
2nd Jan 2014, 22:33
You are not alone, I did not recognise a single name from the RN, and I used to get out loads. Always a lot of bitching when these awards come out. Many people just do their jobs as well as they can, receive nothing, expect nothing anyway and simply fade away. Not that's there's anything wrong with that and all the better for it.

Jayand
3rd Jan 2014, 00:41
Jimlad,

Perhaps I was bemoaning the lack of junior rank inclusion from the position of a "junior".
We're not all Officers here you know.
I feel quite sure their must be a junior rank more than deserving out there.

Heathrow Harry
3rd Jan 2014, 12:36
seems odd to give awards to SO's at all TBH

Bravery awards certainly but a gong just for turning up at the office??

gr4techie
3rd Jan 2014, 12:41

It did cross my mind, which rank did all the work and which rank took all the credit for it?
Did the air ranks work over christmas and new year de-icing runways?

Willard Whyte
3rd Jan 2014, 13:51
Did the air ranks work over christmas and new year de-icing runways?

All that hot air must be of some use...

STANDTO
4th Jan 2014, 08:51
Blimey - AVM and another gong.

Ross was my flight commander at Cranwell back in 1988. Someone I wish I had perhaps paid more attention to than I did. No messing type of chap.

If he is reading this - congratulations.

BATCO
13th Jan 2014, 12:43
I note that latest Personnel Bulletin exhorts us to do better at identifying exceptional performance and writing suitable citations.

Maybe not unconnected, DT has presented some data on broad rank spread of State awards since demise of BEM in Military Division of Order of British Empire (see link: Honours bias 'favours officers over soldiers' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10565747/Honours-bias-favours-officers-over-soldiers.html)).

Whilst broadly in agreement that what we have ended up with seems unfair, I do think that to some extent the award of LS&GCM to a high proportion of OR makes up for lack of other State awards. As a wild-arsed guess, I'd say that a greater proportion of OR with 15+ years of service have LS&GC than officers and WO of same service have been admitted to Order of British Empire.

Other than that, well done Rich Langley (OBE).

Batco

Photoplanet
13th Jan 2014, 18:40
BATCO
Whilst broadly in agreement that what we have ended up with seems unfair, I do think that to some extent the award of LS&GCM to a high proportion of OR makes up for lack of other State awards. As a wild-arsed guess, I'd say that a greater proportion of OR with 15+ years of service have LS&GC than officers and WO of same service have been admitted to Order of British Empire.

I'm not sure what direction that statement is heading in, but the LS&GCM is awarded to non-commissioned personnel (and, I believe, Officers commissioned from the ranks) after completing 15 years qualifying service (without being disbarred for any reason).

The Long Service aspect most often means that the individual has been around the camps a bit, and is willing to put up with the current employment for a while longer, it is certainly not an 'honour' award...

So, whilst the quoted statement is factually correct, the award of a LS&GCM does not usually leave the recipient with the warm, fuzzy feeling that all of their efforts so far have been noticed and appreciated. It just confirms that the RAF have not got enough evidence to halt their career before pension time.

I have known some truly excellent non-commissioned personnel, many of whom would be truly deserving of some recognition, but because of their rank (at the time), it would have been a no hoper. (Has an SAC ever been awarded an MBE...?)

Bob Viking
13th Jan 2014, 19:48
Have you ever noticed on threads like this that it seems perfectly reasonable to rubbish the efforts of Officers and accuse them all of being chinless wonders who just take the credit for others work but you very rarely, if ever, see anyone saying the opposite?
I am absolutely certain that there are more hard working JRs and NCOs who are deserving of awards who don't receive them (and it genuinely disappoints me that more don't) but I feel certain that, whilst those Officers weren't out de-icing runways, they were probably still working their respective dangly bits off in order to receive the recognition they have garnered.
BV:oh:

Tiger_mate
13th Jan 2014, 20:38
Has an SAC ever been awarded an MBE...?

Maybe not, but a Private soldier has won the Victoria Cross, which in my opinion userps all of the medals associated with levels of ( principally commisioned ) rank. LS&GC medal is nothing more than a tick on the board; although I do know someone for whom it never came :{

I myself am quite nonchalant about the process although I do disagree with individual crew members receiving awards in cases where the whole crew have been courageous. The common argument of all = nothing is unacceptable IMHO.

NutLoose
13th Jan 2014, 21:04
Jimlad,

Perhaps I was bemoaning the lack of junior rank inclusion from the position of a "junior".
We're not all Officers here you know.

Totally agree, the whole system is abhorrent, awarding people OBE's and knighthoods for simply doing their jobs, one reason I refuse to call anyone Sir whatever... And have told them to their face

I myself am quite nonchalant about the process although I do disagree with individual crew members receiving awards in cases where the whole crew have been courageous. The common argument of all = nothing is unacceptable IMHO.

Yep, there was one I remember where the pilot and Nav were awarded the VC, the LAC gunner nothing..

Fairey Battle P2204 PH-K of 12 Squadron RAF as it might have looked in May 1940. This aircraft was lost on May 12th 1940 while attacking the Veldwezelt bridge at Maastricht. All the crew were killed but only the pilot and navigator Flg Officer Garland and Sergeant Thomas Gray were awarded VCs. The air gunner LAC Reynolds was not given any recognition.

That is SO wrong.

Flying Officer Garland VC, Sergeant Gray VC - 1940 - WW2 Talk (http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/20568-flying-officer-garland-vc-sergeant-gray-vc/)

And I totally agree with this

Getting back to LAC Reynolds,it appears to be irrational that he was not mentioned in the citation and was not recognised for his bravery.This lack of appreciation of Reynolds still appears to be apparent as at Waddington,in 2001,I saw a parked No 12 Squadron Tornado bearing the dedication at the rear end of the fuselage "Garland VC and Gray VC".Its a pity that Reynolds name could not have been included.

Union Jack
13th Jan 2014, 21:31
I refuse to call anyone Sir whatever... And have told them to their face

Oh dear! I probably "resemble" that remark, but hope that you wouldn't take umbrage at me addressing any man I meet as "Sir" if I don't initially know their name.:ok:

That said, I don't disagree with the overall tenor of your post, and I speak as someone very involved in the Honours and Awards process

Jack

PS You'd better not go abroad, M'sieu:)

NutLoose
13th Jan 2014, 21:55
I mean as in the title, I was told you can call me Sir XYZ, and I said XYZ it is then.. And that was that, got on like a house on fire once my views were understood and accepted..

I don't mean any offence in it, just my personal view, in the past knighthoods were awarded for deeds, not simply doing your job. Far different from gallantry awards where they have my total and deep respect for what they have done.

Re LAC Reynolds, it appears 12 Sqn at the time tried to get it overturned, shame he couldn't be recognised retrospectively.

RAF BINBROOK HERITAGE CENTRE - Fairey Battle (http://www.binbrook.demon.co.uk/html/Fairey_Battle.html)

P2204 - Shot down in flames by intense flak - crew killed - F/O Donald Garland and Sgt Tom Gray received the first air Victoria Crosses of WWII posthumously.
LAC Roy Reynolds received no recognition because it was not felt that he merited a VC and no other award could be made posthumously.
This caused considerable distress to his family and to the squadron who have tried unsuccessfully since then to rectify the omission.

Cows getting bigger
14th Jan 2014, 06:49
Don't know about SAC but I had a female Cpl working for me in the '90s who had an MBE.

TheWizard
14th Jan 2014, 07:01
There are a fair few out there if you take time to look. All very well deserved.
For example:

Corporal to Raise Flag at Olympic Opening Ceremony (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafleuchars/news/index.cfm?storyid=018AB787-5056-A318-A8CC6EF8EC5957D3)

David has raised more than £200,000 for charity, mainly for terminally ill and disadvantaged children, his efforts leading to him being awarded the MBE in 2008. While serving in the Falkland Islands in 2006 he raised £2,600 in just 16 days including running 36 miles on a treadmill in 5 hours and 55 seconds.

Union Jack
14th Jan 2014, 11:02
:ok: Sir Nut! :D

Jack

teeteringhead
14th Jan 2014, 11:12
Nutloose

Just for interest, what are your views on Knighthoods for actors, pop-stars and sportsmen? (eg Sir Larry, Sir Cliff and Sir Wiggo).

Are they not "just doing their job"? And for considerably more money than anyone in uniform or any other sort of public service.......

Wrathmonk
14th Jan 2014, 11:24
Has an SAC ever been awarded an MBE...?

A quick google shows this thread

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/400443-new-years-honours-list.html

with SAC Swift listed as a recipient of the MBE in the NY Honours 2010.

And 1996 must have been a good year as there were three (SAC Mackell, SACW Richford, SACW Walker) - click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_New_Year_Honours#Members_.28MBE.29)

Probably more can be found by those with better google skills than me!

NutLoose
14th Jan 2014, 11:24
My apologies for not clarifying that point, all Knighthoods. I can understand it for doing great services to the Crown, etc, but the rest is just piffle.
These days for some strange reason they seem to hand them out just to make up the numbers. Why knight someone for winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics or singing a song?. Its like the MBE to Camerons hairdresser.

The Nip
14th Jan 2014, 13:56
In my old fashioned way of thinking, I always believed that you were recognized for honours for actions above and beyond your normal duties/responsibilities.

As to sportsmen/celebrities, whilst training for a major event all the hours, sacrifices etc, is not the Gold medal/trophy etc your reward? Most Olympians are successful due the the hard work they put in. But they are also funded by substantial amounts of money to enable them to train and not work. Not all but most.

teeteringhead
14th Jan 2014, 14:16
Thank you for that clarification Nutloose - I think I agree with you on the "slebs" getting Ks, particularly while they are still active.

So I guess you would approve of KCVOs and similar, which are awarded by HM herself, rather than by Call-me-Dave?

NutLoose
14th Jan 2014, 16:47
Totally depends on what for, though some appointments that are awarded I feel are just wrong, such as appointing Prescott a Lordship for being part of the failure of the Labour Party in power.

Heathrow Harry
14th Jan 2014, 17:47
I doubt a lady of 80+ actually "selects" anyone for an honour - unless it is the Victorian order

She has no real knowledge of SO's and their performance - they just suggest each other

No-one - military, politics or civil service should get any honour just because they've been in the right post for a couple of years

The classic example is the Lord Mayor of London of course - he/she shells out a small fortune on banquets, meetings, conferences etc etc and at the end of his year in office gets a Knighthood at least

Theyu should just take the money up front TBH

teeteringhead
14th Jan 2014, 18:26
Harry

I doubt a lady of 80+ actually "selects" anyone for an honour - unless it is the Victorian order ... er .....So I guess you would approve of KCVOs and similar, which are awarded by HM herself, rather than by Call-me-Dave? ... I refer the Hon Member to the remarks I made a few post ago.

NutLoose
14th Jan 2014, 18:37
I replied.