PDA

View Full Version : From Top Flying Crab to Cabbage Picker supervisor in 10 weeks

Hangarshuffle
30th Dec 2013, 14:21
Thought that little headline would get you here.
One of our many in-lines for the crown has very quickly managed to bin the crabs (how did he achieve this so quickly, when everyone else has to wait 12 months?) and starts an agriculture course for posh people and that, at that there Cambridge big school....

Prince William to become a full-time student on agriculture course | UK news | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/30/prince-william-student-agriculture-cambridge-duchy-cornwall)

Nice work lad = wish I could have got out as quick when I got ****** off with it.

just another jocky
30th Dec 2013, 15:12
So you believe you should be treated the same as the next-but-one in line to the throne or that his isn't a special case?

ORAC
30th Dec 2013, 15:14
So he's moved from working with vegetables to working with vegetables. Doesn't seem much of a role change........

Linedog
30th Dec 2013, 15:30
Growbag to cabbage picker. It's another promotion. :ok:

BEagle
30th Dec 2013, 15:58
Strange that Prince William should choose to become a Tab rather than studying at the Royal Agricultural College....or rather 'University' at Cirencester - a mere stone's throw from Highgrove.

Although of course, he is the Duke of Cambridge...

ZH875
30th Dec 2013, 16:06
Poor William, he is going to have to work 18 to 20 hours a week.

BEagle
30th Dec 2013, 16:16
Poor William, he is going to have to work 18 to 20 hours a week.

Why - is he joining the Navy?

TheWizard
30th Dec 2013, 16:44
To be fair to ZH, he did say "work"!!

BOAC
30th Dec 2013, 16:59
The artist currently known as Prince has obviously been reading The Walrus and the Carpenter......................

FODPlod
30th Dec 2013, 17:26
Poor William, he is going to have to work 18 to 20 hours a week.Why - is he joining the Navy?

Now you've asked for it. After becoming accustomed to RAF Spanish practices, the shock would probably kill him leading to accusations of pre-emptive regicide. :)

Compare and contrast:RAF Working Hours (http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/what-we-offer/working-hours/)
For much of the time, most people in the RAF work similar hours to people in other jobs – a five-day week with free evenings and weekends... RN FAQs (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/FAQs)
Typically, the submarine day is divided into 4 x 6-hour slots or watches. The majority of the submarine crew is divided into 2 watches, which will spend 6 hours "on-watch" followed by a period of 6 hours "off-watch". This cycle is repeated for the entire time that the submarine is at sea. When "on-watch", the crew will be actively operating their assigned equipment. When "off-watch" the crew will basically eat and sleep.Obviously reading, TV and studying for exams will also take up time...

SSNs currently deploy for up to 10 months and defence watches in surface ships are identical.

charliegolf
30th Dec 2013, 17:46
deploy for up to 10 months

... and Curry's are selling electrical goods at 'up to 70% off'. Is that what you mean? Try and get a Mac for £300!

CG

Hangarshuffle
30th Dec 2013, 17:47
To jocky..
I honestly think he should be treat as exactly the same as any other flyer.Seriously.
Think it was a bad move on his part and the RAFs for letting him off lightly. Remember he volunteered, like we all did in our various little tribes and should have expected his fair share of the rain and the sunshine as it came(including return of service).

In getting a rare place for flying training whose to say he didn't knock off the chances or dreams of some young guy or gal who would have brought a lot more to the RAFs table. I mean, what did he bring in?

Next in line to the throne? Mate don't make me laugh - I was watching the news the other day when they all piled out of church on Christmas Day - I never realised how many of the hatched out spawn there now is - there are millions of them, lined up manoeuvring nicely for a place at the lunch table and I truly don't think at this present time the GB public are that enamoured with any of them. They all look like people er..on the make? (Hate to say that).
When he first went in to the RAF I had a online row with Peter Preston (former editor of the Guardian) about this role and I'm afraid in retrospect Peter was right - his RAF service was a waste of time - the Royal Family should get real jobs like the rest of us do (or don't).
Would have done him better than token time at Valley.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hangarshuffle
30th Dec 2013, 17:53
Hey Beags I don't understand that 20 hour dig thang either. On ships, I used to wonder if the Navigator or the Captain ever went to bed, poor buggers. Always on the bridge, I mean all the time.
My old Lt Cdr Flying used to be up in Flyco for 14 hours+..long days. For months on end.
Admit it man - service for the royals is just...mostly token. Mostly show. Its PR and in this one, William has got it wrong.

Rigga
30th Dec 2013, 18:36
Hopefully, his place at a Cambs Agriculture College is a fully paid-up private course leaving other places open for those that want to do it rather than just fancy doing it.

Or will he be using his forces resettlement allowance to get this Not-City and Guilds qualification?

When he joined the mob I sarcastically forecast that he would be awarded a bravery medal for working on some foggy night. I am disgusted that he wasn't but will settle that I was wrong.

I too feel that his cossetted time in the mob was a waste of someone else's career and that he has given little in the way of a real return of service.

Fareastdriver
30th Dec 2013, 19:00
It's amazing how people choose pseudonyms that describe themselves perfectly. I would imagine that hangershuffle would describe somebody mooching around the hanger bitching and moaning about everybody and everything.

FODPlod
30th Dec 2013, 19:59
deploy for up to 10 months ... and Curry's are selling electrical goods at 'up to 70% off'. Is that what you mean? Try and get a Mac for £300!Did I say our SSNs deploy for up to 10 months? Sorry, make that 11 months: Royal Navy submarine returns from longest patrol (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/royal-navy-submarine-returns-from-longest-patrol) (HMS Trenchant - 11 months)

Submarine returns to Plymouth after a gruelling 11 months at sea (http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2012-07-29/submarine-returns-to-plymouth-after-a-gruelling-11-months-at-sea/) (HMS Triumph - 11 months)

RN website Surprise musical ending to Turbulent’s gruelling deployment (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2011/December/15/111215-HW-Turbulent-MilitaryWives) (HMS Turbulent - 9 months)

HMS Tireless returns to Plymouth base after 10 months (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-13366850) (HMS Tireless - 10 months)

HMS Talent home from seven-month patrol (http://www.justplymouth.co.uk/articles/?p=288) (HMS Talent - 7 months)
Just out of interest, how many operational SSNs do you think the RN has these days?

Rigga
30th Dec 2013, 20:10
FED - As would 'Rigga' no doubt!

I wonder what Taxi you drive...

parabellum
30th Dec 2013, 20:24
(including return of service).

How about the rest of his life in public service, pretty fair return, I would have thought? As for cutting short the 'twelve months to get out', do you really believe he is out? William will be wearing uniforms and turning out long after you have started to draw your pension and sloped off to the golf course or pub, or both.

Stendec5
30th Dec 2013, 20:48
How much money did the Platitude Prince cost us for his training? Isn't the battered and bloodied British taxpayer entitled to get their full return on their investment before the vanishing-hair to the Throne...err sort of...swans off to do things with sheep?
Oh, what am I saying? Who gives a ----.

Just This Once...
30th Dec 2013, 20:57
Time away on a sub means nothing apparently:

Submariners enjoy their work so they are not affected by long deployments and simply get on with their duties...

skua
30th Dec 2013, 21:07
The excuse given a couple of months ago when he junked his RAF career was that he needed more time to fulfil Royal duties, as he took over more work from his elders.

The latest move into agriculture is positioned as enabling him better to run the Duchy of Cornwall's business - which is hardly the same thing.

Dave Wilson
30th Dec 2013, 21:37
Personally I think he's a decent bloke who's trying to make the best of the position he's in, let's cut the guy a bit of slack. I'm glad I'm not him. Well...apart from being married to Kate, batting well above his average there and good luck to him.

As to the submariners and indeed all HM forces, we are/were all volunteers. Nobody made us join up. I believe in the submariners case they are volunteers within volunteers. I did the 22 year bit, did as I was told and made the best of what ever situation I was in and to be frank, I get a little pissed at some, I repeat some, of the whining on here. If you don't like it don't do it.

Courtney Mil
30th Dec 2013, 21:50
Good words, Dave. One day the man will be King of England and I take my hat off to any man that works so hard to suceed in all he does. Great to have a monarch that has a sound understanding of the armed forces and the UK's agriculture leading the nation. And who knows what he may master next.

Oh, and, yes, the Duchy will need another good pair of hands to run a massive and important concern.

Goodluck to the man and well done.

goudie
30th Dec 2013, 22:02
be frank, I get a little pissed at some, I repeat some, of the whining on here. If you don't like it don't do it.

DW concur with you entirely. To some, whinging is a way of life. Poor buggahs.

FODPlod
30th Dec 2013, 23:32
...I believe in the submariners case they are volunteers within volunteers. I did the 22 year bit, did as I was told and made the best of what ever situation I was in and to be frank, I get a little pissed at some, I repeat some, of the whining on here. If you don't like it don't do it.

Don't worry. I'm just as annoying to sun-dodging submariners but I thought BEag's jibe (http://www.pprune.org/8239169-post7.html) against the dark blue deserved a light-hearted riposte. I would have left it at that but others decided to up the ante (http://www.pprune.org/8239259-post11.html). ;)

As to HRH, I say good on him. He's done much more than pay lip service to his RAF duties and I wish him even greater success for the future.

RatherBeFlying
31st Dec 2013, 02:50
Well, 1inL is assuming more of 0inL's duties and as time passes will end up with the whole lot provided he outlives his mum -- who may well go to 100+

So somebody has to look after the family farm in the meantime;)

sitigeltfel
31st Dec 2013, 06:20
One day the man will be King of England

You have just pre-empted the Scottish Referendum result.

May I borrow your crystal ball for next weeks winning lottery numbers? ;)

Ripline
31st Dec 2013, 09:27
May I borrow your crystal ball for next weeks winning lottery numbers? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

He already knew that you were going to ask him that......

Ripline

Courtney Mil
31st Dec 2013, 09:47
By the time he gets a drive, it may just be England.

31 7 23 13 12 18

Good luck everyone.