PDA

View Full Version : ATPL expiry

Samko
30th Dec 2013, 10:30
My ATPL expires in the new year. I am presently "temporarily unfit", due to a perceived medical condition, to exercise the privileges of the licence.
I have just tried calling the CAA but they are closed until the 2nd Jan.
Does anybody know what my options are on expiry? If I cannot regain my Class 1 medical status I would at least like to continue to fly light aircraft.

Whopity
1st Jan 2014, 09:07
It looks as though you will have to wait until the medical resolves itself. You can't obtain an EASA licence without a medical. If you have to drop to a Class II then you can renew it as a PPL. One of the advantages of the EASA lifetime professional licence is that once obtained (Class I), you can drop back to a Class II and exercise PPL privileges with no change to the licence or need to renew it.

ifitaintboeing
1st Jan 2014, 11:05
I recommended to another airline pilot to obtain a NPPL and Medical Declaration whilst he sorted his Class 1. That way, you can continue to fly little aeroplanes and not affect your ability to obtain/retain your professional licence.

This chap was able to obtain a LAPL medical, and had considered obtaining a EASA LAPL whilst unable to obtain a Class 1. However, he was unaware that it would require him to surrender his EASA ATPL to do this. This would have meant re-applying for his ATPL when he became medically fit in order to carry out his airline job.

A NPPL is good for EASA and non-EASA aircraft until April 2015, and just non-EASA aircraft thereafter. Providing your SEP rating is current and you can obtain a NPPL Medical Declaration, the application process is just a paperwork exercise.

Going forward, see what medical it is possible to obtain. This may lead you down the EASA CPL, PPL or LAPL route.

ifitaint...

Samko
2nd Jan 2014, 16:19
Thank you both for your replies. I have slowly come to terms with the fact that my airline flying days may well be over but I still hope to keep my hand in one way or another.
I am completely out of touch so I will look into the NPPL medical requirements.
Thanks again.

gowaz
6th Jan 2014, 21:28
I too am without class 1/2 and hold ATPL. But don't want to downgrade ATPL to LAPL.
I have obtained NPPL doctors declaration, very simple visit to GP with form from NPPL WEBSITE see LAA.
application details on that site for NPPL and SSEA "simple single engine aircraft rating".
photocopy all relevant licences logbooks etc and get stamped by a CFI/ FI etc at flying club.
Send cash and wait two weeks.
Simples....

Samko
9th Apr 2014, 21:12
Thank you all for your advice. I got a NPPL medical and have had some instruction for the LPC, which I passed today.
So far so good.
I am expecting a visit from my son next week and would like to surprise him by taking him on a flight. The only way to do this would be to use the counter service at the CAA.

You will recall that my JAA ATPL is about to expire, so I have some more questions.

At the top of form SRG1104 it states that my medical records must be held by the UK CAA, otherwise the application for conversion to EASA licence will be rejected. I presume that the CAA has no record of my NPPL medical certificate.
I have become quite attached to my ATPL over the years but I will only have the SEP rating that is valid. Do you think it would make sense to switch to a PPL?
Finally, does anybody have recent experience of dealing with this sort of thing over the counter at Gatwick? It would be quite a treck if I were to come away empty handed at the end of the day.

Samko
10th Apr 2014, 13:29
I think I have found the answers to my questions.
I cannot renew my ATPL using the NPPL Medical Declaration so I am going to apply for a NPPL and ditch my ATPL.