PDA

View Full Version : Seafire Rebuild

Bevo
30th Dec 2013, 00:25
I don't think this has been posted before. Some nice airborne video also.

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/TneYPcyGbbY%26autoplay=1%26rel=0

Fly3
30th Dec 2013, 01:05
Thank you so much for posting this video. Not only a great tribute to the builders but it was also lovely to see John Beattie whom I served with in the FAA for many years. Anyone know his whereabouts now?

WhiteOvies
30th Dec 2013, 01:19
Fly3,

Up until recently John was the manager of the RN Historic Flight at Yeovilton. I believe he retired recently but you may be able to contact him via someone through the Historic Flights website?

Sorry it's not a full answer.

Pheasant
30th Dec 2013, 06:59
John is alive and well and still displaying all manner of historic aircraft. Contact via:

HOME (http://www.fnht.co.uk)

RNHF_PILOT
30th Dec 2013, 07:52
John retired as the civilian General Manager of Royal Navy Historic Flight in 2009.

He is still around and acts as a flying mentor to the RNHF pilots as he has wealth of Warbird and display knowledge to impart.

If you served with him and you are a member of the Fleet Air Officers Association you can get he contact details from the membership section of their website.

Hangarshuffle
30th Dec 2013, 18:05
Hope/pray it lasts longer than most of the others on the RNHF.

RNHF_PILOT
30th Dec 2013, 18:26
Hangarshuffle, the Seafire in question belongs to Wes Stricker in the USA.
The other Seafire that John flies belongs to Kennet Aviation at North Weald.
RNHF sadly does not at present operate a Seafire.

JEM60
30th Dec 2013, 18:50
The Kennet Aviation Seafire [which Mr. Beattie also flew] was accidentally landed wheels up at an Air Show in France a couple of years ago by a well-known lady driver. Does anyone know of it's current rebuild status?

treadigraph
31st Dec 2013, 20:41
JEM60, I think Kennet's Seafire 17 is close to flying again; hopefully it'll be around next year? I think they might have a late mark Seafire on their books as well - I'm sure I saw something about one of Peter Arnold's recoveries being well under way to flying again.

lauriebe
1st Jan 2014, 00:21
Talking of late model Seafires, there is this one, the ultimate Mk 47, which presently lives in Montana and is maintained in an airworthy condition.

FR-47 Seafire "The one and only" - YouTube

Lyneham Lad
1st Jan 2014, 11:11
Talking of late model Seafires, there is this one, the ultimate Mk 47, which presently lives in Montana and is maintained in an airworthy condition.

Hopefully those contra-rotating props did not have the same effect on the pilot's eyeballs as they did on mine! :ooh: