PDA

View Full Version : About to embark...

SunnySahota
29th Dec 2013, 12:03
Morning,

Been trawling through the forum for the last few days and have a few questions regarding EASA, the PPL, and the PPL ground school.

My understanding is that 100 hours of ground school is required before being signed off to go sit the exams. Of those 100 hours how many have to be in the classroom?

Which brings me onto the next question, are the current PPL books, like this (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Air-Pilots-Manuals-Trevor-Thom-Air-Pilots-Manual-series-Vol-1-to-9+9305) Trevor Thom series, still valid as far as EASA is concerned? This particular set has a 9th volume that states it covers EASA Operational Procedures.

And thirdly, I would like to make a start on the PPL ground school over the winter period, so that when I start the actual flying a few months down the road, I'll have a decent theoretical background to supplement the practical lessons. Is that doable? Can I even sit some of the exams before working towards the 45h mark for the PPL? I understand that certain exams need to have been sat and passed, such as Air Law before going Solo, etc... but is there anything to stop me from sitting these before I start accumulating the hours?

Piper.Classique
31st Dec 2013, 21:35
Looks like we are ignoring you here..sorry...

The Thom books should be fine, you can do all the exams before you even look at an aircraft but some of it may not seem to make much sense until you have done some flying. There are time limits on exam validity.

I have no idea how much of the groundschool needs to be done in the classroom. I suspect that this hasn't been specified, but with EASA who knows?

Have you done a trial lesson anywhere yet? Do make sure you like flying first, won't you!

Happy new year!

SunnySahota
31st Dec 2013, 23:48
Hi Piper Classique,

Thanks for the reply! That's great, especially as Transair have a sale on at the moment so I can pick up some supplies like the logbook and probably the Oxford CBT too.

Yes sir, I've done a trial lesson at Cranfield and didn't want to come back down! Best experience I've had to be honest. Well that and being on the fight deck in a 747 departing out of EGLL, but that's another story!

Thanks again,

Sunny

Grob Queen
2nd Jan 2014, 10:33
As a student nearing the end of training and having completed most of the ground exams under the old system, I do not know much about the new system. However, from what i've heard at my club, the 100hrs ground school has to be 80% in the classroom. I and still using the old Pooleys books for my final exam, but be warned the syllabus has changed a lot and (not wishing to put you off) but the papers are much harder under EASA. I took the EASA Nav and it was the hardest exam I have ever taken (harder than those for my degree).

As to study before starting to fly. personally this system would not have worked for me as I do not have a technical brain. I logged a a fair number of hours before I started ground exams and this really helped. I would not have been able to do it the other way.

Be aware as well that once you pass your first exam, you have 18 months in which t complete the rest and then ( I think) 6 months to take your skills test after that.

Good luck, hope this helps, and enjoy your flying!

Whopity
2nd Jan 2014, 13:45
Be aware as well that once you pass your first exam, you have 18 months in which t complete the rest and then ( I think) 6 months to take your skills test after that.No, you have 24 months in which to take the Skills Test and apply for the licence from completing the last exam. Perhaps more important is that you now have to pass all exams in 6 sittings including any resits. A sitting is defined as a 10 day period and any exam failed cannot be retaken in the same sitting.
Of those 100 hours how many have to be in the classroom? That is up to the ATO to propose to the CAA, and for them to approve it. It will not be a fixed amount.Can I even sit some of the exams before working towards the 45h mark for the PPL?You can take the exams at any time bearing in mind the validity periods. Also at an ATO you will need a sign off to take the exams but not at a RF. If you hadn't noticed there are now Apple and Android Apps for all the exams. They are no harder than previous exams but cover far less relevant corners of the very broad and ill defined syllabus.