PDA

View Full Version : US Pilot looking for advice for flying in Europe

ralphperea
27th Dec 2013, 16:47
I am looking for some advice for my carrier and training. I am hoping that some of you can please give me your advice and opinion on what I should do.

I currently live and work in the US as a CFI. I have 1000hrs FAA Commercial Single/Multi(150), IR, CFI, CFII, and MEI. I am studying for my FAA ATP. I should be able to get the reduced mins for ATP at 1250. My long term goal is to fly in Europe for a Major Airline. I have the right to work in Switzerland and next year Ill apply for Swiss citizenship. I am doing research about getting my FAA licence converted to EASA. I am just undecided on what direction I should go. Convert my CPL over to a FATPL then do the required IR time and then MCC or wait until I get my FAA ATP +500 multi crew? I will start a part 135 job in March flying SIC in a C208 (Passenger) here in the US so I am required crew, does anyone know if will this count towards my Multi crew time? The reason I'm asking this is because this aircraft does not require a type rating in the US and under part 91 it is rated for single pilot, but under part 135 it is required to have two pilots.

Another option is, should I wait until I get hired for a regional carrier in the states and fly a few 1000hrs then try to break into the European Market? I honestly do not know what I should do.

My next question is jobs in Europe, What is the demand for low time pilots? and what is the average experience level companies are looking for? (1500& ATP?) I'm not going to be picky on the job. I am willing to fly Cargo, Corporate and or Airline as long as I feel safe in the aircraft.

Also I am wondering if anyone knows a good website that posts jobs in Europe?

If you are able to answer one or all of my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

flarepilot
27th Dec 2013, 18:18
my advice is to stay in the USA.

galaxy flyer
27th Dec 2013, 21:46
Cruise around Pprune for awhile, you'll see why flarepilot said that. The market for pilots in Europe, especially CH is very thin.

zondaracer
28th Dec 2013, 10:05
This: wait until I get my FAA ATP +500 multi crew

And this: Another option is, should I wait until I get hired for a regional carrier in the states and fly a few 1000hrs then try to break into the European Market

There are way too many low time pilots and few jobs. It all comes down to luck, who you know, time on type, and possibly paying a ridiculous amount for a type rating.

Do some research on here and you will see how messed up the pilot market is in Europe compared to the US. At least in the US, there is a logical ladder progression system with a realistic outlook of obtaining your goals.

EMB-145LR
29th Dec 2013, 10:06
I'm a British airline pilot flying in the USA. I've been at a regional in the US for the past three years, before that I flew for an airline that ended up going out of business. I've got just over 3,000 hours, I'm type rated on the ERJ-145 on both my EASA and FAA licenses, and I am also type rated on a light turboprop on my EASA license.

I've been trying to get back to Europe for the past two years with no success. I've interviewed with one company and sadly got cut at the final stage. Later this year I am going to move to the UK and start commuting to the East Coast of the US for each trip at work. While that sounds mad it's the only option for my wife and I. She has been offered an extremely good job in the UK that we can't turn down. For me, I'll keep applying to jobs in Europe, but frankly the market is more than saturated there, mainly with cadet pilots who will work for next to nothing (contrary to popular belief, if you join the right company in the US, after the awful first year pay, you can actually do rather well financially. I'm making a very decent salary on 4th year pay at my regional, comparable to similar airlines over in Europe).

Commuting from Europe to the US is more common than you think, at my company we have several guys that commute to EWR or IAD from LIS, ARN, DUS, LHR, DUB, SNN and CDG. My schedule generally consists of three four day trips a month, with between 4 and 6 days off in between. That being said, I am a relatively senior First Officer and I learnt all the tricks for trading my trips.

If you're hoping to move to Europe after 1,000 hours at a regional or so, I think you're in for a real disappointment. It may well happen, but you'll need to have significant amounts of time on a 737 or A320, be extremely lucky or just join the back of a very long line.

I am also applying to many of the majors and low cost airlines in the USA. I can continue commuting to the US from the UK with them, and if I'm lucky I hope to get time on a valuable type and get a job back home. If not, I'll keep commuting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Going to a regional in the US is definitely a decent option.

ralphperea
29th Dec 2013, 16:56
Thanks for all your information. I'm fearing the worst, I will have to stay flying in the states until I gain more experience and complete the theory portion of the ATPL and then get typed in the US. Then come to Europe after I have 5000+ hrs.

EMB- I like your idea about commuting. This may be my best option for me at the moment. Who do you fly for? Do you ever have issues jump-seating? Do you have a crash pad in the states? If you have 4 days off. How many days are you at home?

I have spent hours on this forum and there is a lot of great information.

Does anyone know about flying cargo here? I know in the states if you have 135 IFR mins and 50 multi you can get a cargo job. Is there anything in Europe that is like this?

Is it worth spending 30000 Euro for a type rating here? or would it be better to pay for it in the states then do a check-ride here?

Also, is it worth while to get my CFI converted as well?

Thanks again for all your information

zondaracer
31st Dec 2013, 14:42
Does anyone know about flying cargo here? I know in the states if you have 135 IFR mins and 50 multi you can get a cargo job. Is there anything in Europe that is like this?

They don't have the same regulation system in Europe. No 135 really. They do have aero taxi and small cargo outfits but its like comparing a apples to oranges. Getting hired at an outfit like this in Europe is all about who you know.

Is it worth spending 30000 Euro for a type rating here? or would it be better to pay for it in the states then do a check-ride here?

An FAA type rating does not transfer to an EASA type rating until you have 500 hours on type. As far as getting a €30,000 type rating, I would say don't do it. I have a few friends who have done this and only one landed a job, but only because he was promised the job before he paid for the type rating.

Also, is it worth while to get my CFI converted as well?

That depends... I don't know what the going rate for instructors is in Switzerland. As a non European citizen, flight instruction is your best chance at getting a frst flying job in Europe. I know that on Spain there are lots of flight instructors looking for a job. In most cases it pays minimum wage. I worked at a flying school and there was a waiting list of guys wanting to work there. I have some friends in France and the UK who easily gt flight instructor jobs but the weather conditions, particularly in the winter, resulted in little pay and flight time. I started out as an instructor then went back to the US to continue instructing, mainly because I get paid 2x-5x better and I'm flying 3x more in the US.

The situation for low time pilots in Europe is tough. It is tough for all pilots. I read that the rate of pilots looking for a pilot job in Europe is double the European unemployment rate. I've even had experienced captains ask me how they can immigrate to the US. It is not impossible to forge a flying career in Europe right now, but it is an uphill battle, especially if you don't have the European citizenship yet. At some point you will realize you keep throwing money at renewals which cost more than keeping current under the FAA system, then you will wonder if it is worth the cost.