PDA

View Full Version : confusion over which PPL

artschool
26th Dec 2013, 20:13
i have been trawling through the forums to try to find out which licence i should be going for. NPPL, JAC PPL and now there seems to be this EASA from 2015 and possibly an EIEIO:p?

all i would like to do is learn to fly a 4 seater and maybe fly to northern ireland and possibly france in the future.

help!!!!!!

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2013, 22:27
EASA replaced the older JAR-FCL PPL, they are basically the same. It's the baseline international private licence, and will do everything you are after.

The NPPL is a UK only recreational licence, which is really useful for people switching over from microlights or motorgliders, or who can't get a full medical - but if you are starting from scratch and can get a class 2 medical without any trouble, go with the EASA licence - it'll almost certainly cost you the same time and money as the time to learn to fly is what is, and the paperwork doesn't really change that.

The LAPL is a European slight upgrade of the NPPL, that does most of the same things. If you do go for the NPPL, for whatever reason, it's an obvious upgrade as it gives you a pan European licence, which is a nice thing to have.

G