PDA

View Full Version : Help please MSFS on MAC

Pace
24th Dec 2013, 16:08
I have a MAC computer and would like to add MSFS which I used to enjoy several years ago.
How do I do this on a MAC with a Microsoft product?
Any tips from computer wizards greatly appreciated :ok:

Pace

dirkdj
24th Dec 2013, 16:43
I would really look at X-plane instead, they have a native Mac, Win and Linux version. You can download and install a limited version for free and see if your computer can handle it.
MS FSX may have a nicer image but the flight model of XP is much more realistic.

India Four Two
24th Dec 2013, 16:51
As dirkdh said, try X-plane. There is also a stunningly good version for the iPhone.

If you really want to run MSFS, you will have to install Parallels or set up Bootcamp to run Windows natively.

Pace
24th Dec 2013, 20:13
I used to be into MSFS big time and never hugely impressed with X plane but that was a few years back maybe its changed now?

Flight unlimited of yesteryear was probably the most immersive realistic sim which sadly never got developed to modern graphics and fast machines. The Biz jet at night past a thunderstorm was so realistic as was the glider looking for lift.

So with MSFS probably past revisted ;) Just need to know how to get it onto an apple :ok:

Thanks for the tips

Pace

Armchairflyer
24th Dec 2013, 20:42
This might help: Running Microsoft Flight Simulator X on a Mac (http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/) . If you haven't installed MSFS yet, you might also want to look at Prepar3d as a very similar alternative ("migrating" to Windows seems to have the same requirements).

Unusual Attitude
24th Dec 2013, 20:51
Pace,

If you liked flight unlimited as I also did you should try AeroflyFS, its like a modern day version with the best flight model of any PC based sim I've ever tried. The functionality is fairly limited for the moment so its basically VFR but the next big update early next year will add a huge chunk more.

Regards

UA

India Four Two
24th Dec 2013, 22:54
the most immersive realistic sim

On this topic, the only reason I have Bootcamp (Windows dual-boot system) on my Mac, is so that I can run Condor - an addictive, very realistic glider simulator with online real-time competitions.

Dave Wilson
25th Dec 2013, 02:23
Flight unlimited was my favourite sim too, thought it knocked spots off MSFS. Have tried x. Plane, contrary to other opinions I thought the flight models were rubbish. Also a big thumbs up for condor, as close as you'll get to flying a glider without being in one, it also allows you to do things you wouldn't have the balls to do in real life!

Armchairflyer
25th Dec 2013, 09:18
Regarding X-plane, my personal impression was that the flight modelling itself was indeed more "fluid" and less "puppet on strings"*) than MSFS, but that with all the blade element theory, mass and inertia of airplanes have been forgotten or almost so, even allowing for the fact that one more easily goes to full deflections with a joystick than with a real plane (even more joy)stick.

Another recommendation I can wholeheartedly make is Rise of Flight (WWI sim), if one does not insist on modern turbine and jet aircraft with all the electronic gizmos but likes old bi- and triplanes, too. Of course, it's useless for any IFR procedure and/or R/T practice and mostly useless for VFR nav training (luckily there are no shell-holed landscapes in Europe today), but even without shooting at anything (or being shot at, more likely at the outset, but one can adjust the settings and go on a peaceful and undisturbed trip), I find it the most immersive "basic flying" sim, and the flight model is IMHO excellent and very realistic. It's also the only PC sim I know that simulates ground friction well; landing a taildragger with lots of crab angle in MSFS or X-Plane is no big deal, in RoF it means a flip-over. And flying the twin-engined Gotha bomber gives an excellent illustration of adverse yaw and Vmca :}. You might want to give it a try, it's completely free with no time limit. The only limitation of the freebie version is that it comes with only two airplanes (Albatros DV and Spad XIII).

*) AFAIK a description by a developer of (excellent) add-ons for MSFS, cited by Pace

dirkdj
25th Dec 2013, 10:24
X-plane takes quite a bit of tweaking, my only complaint is that the prop disk drag on reducing power is not well simulated. For IFR procedures training it is very satisfactory. I recently added a Yoke and rudder pedals by Saitek. Compared to a real aircraft they have a large 'dead spot' right in the middle of the range where you mostly fly after trimming out.
The biggest difference in frame rates and quality was when I added a NVIDIA GTX 650 Ti card for about 100GBP. Very much improved responsiveness too.

Pace
26th Dec 2013, 14:41
Thanks guys will look at these other sims too. I mentioned Flight unlimited because although it was an old sim with old graphics some of the adventures were quite realistic.
Landing the Beech jet had a feeling of inertia lacking in MSFS and the immersion factor of FU was great giving quite a realistic and fun experience.
a modern version of FU just covering the UK and Ireland would have been great !sadly newer versions were never to be not sure what MSFS is like? I know it has been tweaked after being dropped by MS and partially resurrected

Pace

India Four Two
26th Dec 2013, 16:31
it also allows you to do things you wouldn't have the balls to do in real life!

Like climbing the north face of the Eiger with a 30kt northerly wind! Even though it's only a simulator, it gets the adrenaline flowing! :ok:

RedKnight
27th Dec 2013, 02:07
What do we think is the best sim software for IFR training? I am of the view that sims are generally unsatisfactory in replicating the general handling of a real aircraft (controls, navigation, etc), but otherwise offer a superior cost-adjusted quality of experience in training for procedural flight (holds, STARs, SIDs, etc).

Dave Wilson
27th Dec 2013, 08:58
I just use MSFS 2004 for that. I don't even 'hand' fly it most of the time due to the pants flight model but it's good for getting pictures and procefures in your head. Having said that I probably only fire it up once every couple of months but I've got my renewal in March so I might be giving it some welly shortly!

We have a super duper set up at our club, three monitors, yoke and throttles, rudder pedals etc and no one uses it.

Discorde
27th Dec 2013, 10:49
This chart (http://steemrok.com/IR%20routes%20v15) might be useful for practising holding procedures, based on:

NDB
VOR/NDB
VOR/VOR
VOR/DME

The navaids, frequencies and bearings are based on MSFS 2004.