PDA

View Full Version : The Shepherd

N2erk
24th Dec 2013, 01:19
As every year this time, CBC radio 1 will broadcast "the Shepherd" by Frederick Forsyth on Christmas eve, sometime between 6:30 and 8:00 PM ( 18:30 till 20:00 for some) probably EST. (23:30- 01:00 Z I believe.) CBC.ca Radio (http://www.cbc.ca/radio/schedule.html) . Also of possible interest is Where did the pilot fly in Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd" | As It Happens with Carol Off and Jeff Douglas | CBC Radio (http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/2013/12/23/where-did-the-pilot-fly-in-frederick-forsyths-the-shepherd/)

I assume it will be available in real audio. If you can overcome the 'colonial' accent,:rolleyes: is is rather good.
I first read the story, on 'Q', on boxing day, 26 Dec, long ago. :)

Gnd
24th Dec 2013, 08:13
Got it on MP3, required reading (audio book!) and requested by the little groundies every year.:)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Dec 2013, 09:03
Just confirmed on cbc, the reading will be at 2230Z on cbc Maritimes and Newfoundland.
Pour yourself a dram and enjoy!

Davita
24th Dec 2013, 09:12
Freddie still lives in UK but doubt he will answer the question of the 'Shepherd'.

I knew him when he had just left the RAF as a National Service pilot. He started as a reporter for the Kings Lynn News and Advertiser and we both used the same pub, on the corner of the square, in Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
I recall his interest in RAF Marham, where I was stationed, as it was the Valiant nuclear bomb facility...he had a nose for journalism and constantly asked me about things going-on at the base which, I confess, I wasn't aware.:oh:
However, I probably made up some typical RAF B/S just to flow our conversations, depending on how many pints of bitter I'd imbibed...it's possible he even included my stories (crap) in his books!

That's why they are fictional...:E

ShotOne
24th Dec 2013, 14:25
Fiction, maybe but I haven't read anything which so perfectly expresses the feeling of operating an aircraft when things aren't going to plan than The shepherd.

teeteringhead
24th Dec 2013, 16:48
so perfectly expresses the feeling of operating an aircraft when things aren't going to plan than The Shepherd. Had the honour of sharing a few drinks with FF earlier this year - he confirmed that "the flying is non-fiction" or words to that effect. :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Dec 2013, 21:28
on in 5 minutes
goto
CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News (http://www.cbc.ca/news)
and select
Listen
radio
'as it happens'

circle kay
24th Dec 2013, 22:36
Just done the spuds and the sprouts while listening online.

Thoughts go back to George M as the skipper reading it at a crew Christmas Dinner with all the lights turned down in the dining room of the Hotel.

We had turned the lights down to stop him reading it and let us get back to the beer; but George resourceful as always had brought a torch!

N2erk
24th Dec 2013, 23:19
Done, and excellent as always. Hopefully, all Ppruners will be around next year to hear it again. Merry Christmas everybody.

palisadesk
24th Dec 2013, 23:35
If you missed it live, you can catch it on the CBC website here:

"Fireside Al" Maitland reads Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd" - As It Happens - CBC Player (http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/As+It+Happens/ID/2425705310/)

You can also find it on YouTube:

The Shepherd - YouTube

CBC published an item on the probable geography and the possible location of "RAF Minton":

"Where did the pilot fly in Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd""
Where did the pilot fly in Frederick Forsyth's "The Shepherd" | As It Happens with Carol Off and Jeff Douglas | CBC Radio (http://www.cbc.ca/asithappens/2013/12/23/where-did-the-pilot-fly-in-frederick-forsyths-the-shepherd/)

Enjoy!

India Four Two
25th Dec 2013, 00:39
Yes, I've posted this before in a thread about The Shepherd and yes, I know it's not a single-seat Vampire, but its a great photo and highly appropriate:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/T11andMosquito.jpg

Fireside Al's readings were always a delight. One of the things I miss about Canada. This year was the 34th anniversary of the first time that Al read The Shepherd on As It Happens.

Merry Christmas to all from Saigon where it has been appropriately cool - a low of 21C the other night!

The Old Fogducker
25th Dec 2013, 02:24
You can also download it from my collection at this link .....

Cheers folks, from "The Old Fogducker."

http://www.hightail.com/download/elNJb24zQzNYSHh2TzhUQw

brokenlink
1st Jan 2014, 20:44
Read the book years ago but the broadcast is so much better. Wonder if "RAF Minton" actually existed? I know Mossies operated from RAF North Creake and also Little Snoring in Norfolk but neither of those were Pathfinder bases as they were clustered around RAF Wyton in Huntingdonshire, 12 or so miles from here.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Jan 2014, 23:50
My own guess at the locations in The Shepherd

Most of the names have been slightly changed from real RAF base names. The locations are not associated directly with the names, or the aircraft types.

RAF Merriam St George - the name is a slight change from RAF Middleton St George (now Teeside Airport). Actual location RAF Horsham St Faith (now Norwich Airport)

Horsham St Faith was the base for 105 Sqn Mosquito Pathfinders (B MkIV)

RAF Minton - the name is a slight change from RAF Milton (near Abingdon), a supply depot which closed shortly after the date the book is set. Actual Location RAF Coltishall.

Colt was a Vampire base, though not in 1957 (neither was Celle by this time).

Reasoning. An approach to Horsham St Faith (Norwich Airport) from the coast is about 15 miles, and the approach path for RWY 22 goes pretty much over Colt. The book states that the mosquito pilot dropped him short of the GCA airfield (H St F) due to lack of fuel.

Things which don't fit with the book.
H St F main rwy was 09/27,but there's no airfield on this approach path from the coast.
H St F was the real pathfinder base, not Colt, but this wouldn't fit with the approach from the coast bit of the plot.
Colt is about halfway in from the coast to H St f, not a 5/10 split as per the book.

Given FF was a Vampire pilot, I would imagine he originally plotted the story on an air chart, which means the coast - Colt - H St F path was the basis, then names and aircraft types were shuffled to fit this.

Thoughts?

p.s. FF did his training with 4 FTS(?) at RAF Worksop, which until early 1956 had been at...RAF Middleton St George.
When he left the RAF in 1958 he became a reporter in.....Norwich!

a330pilotcanada
16th Dec 2014, 17:09
Good Afternoon All:

As we come into the Christmas season I came across this 1957 radio broadcast on YouTube which is from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation "The Shepherd-Fredick Forsyth- read by Alan Maitland.

It is a wonderful story about 35 minutes so grab a port or other favourite beverage and enjoy.

To all those active and veterans thank you for giving us the freedoms we enjoy today

Merry Christmas

The Shepherd - Frederick Forsyth - read by Alan Maitland from CBC Radio - YouTube (http://youtu.be/j2_bLEqmBi0)

bike2lv
16th Dec 2014, 17:59
Also broadcast on CBC radio1, As It Happens, usually the last weeknight before Christmas, sometime between 18:30- 20:00 EST. :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Dec 2014, 18:00
..and if you like the idea of a group listen, they still broadcast it every year on Christmas Eve on CBC Radio 1 - As It Happens. 6:30pm (7pm in Newfoundland). It's usually up first.

Flash2001
16th Dec 2014, 18:02
Wonderful story! We listen every Christmas eve.

Deepest Norfolk
16th Dec 2014, 19:36
A great Christmas story.
BBC always do a ghost story for Christmas, maybe they could do this some time.
DN

Wander00
16th Dec 2014, 21:25
Great story by one of my favourite authors, and of course "one of us". Thanks Freddie

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Dec 2014, 21:56
I suspect many of us here are also 4FTS men, and probably a few women now too.

Now didn't 4FTS put down a revolt in Iraq around 70 years ago, with most of the sorties flown by students?
And didn't every one of us hope for a chance to repeat that?
And the way the World's turned, I reckon we probably could - if we could choose our own ROE.

smujsmith
17th Dec 2014, 00:04
Thanks for posting that. Something that will certainly entertain my family on Christmas day.

Smudge:ok:

bike2lv
17th Dec 2014, 14:30
Hey Fox3- you sure you posted your reply on the correct thread- wild thread drift, but not arguing with the content!:D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Dec 2014, 15:06
Frederick Forsyth learned to fly Vampires with 4FTS, then at Worksop.

Whenurhappy
17th Dec 2014, 16:55
No 4 Service Flying Training School was, indeed, at RAF Habbaniya during the siege of 1941.

RAF Habbaniya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Habbaniya)

Haraka
17th Dec 2014, 17:00
As its nearly Christmas.....
I was fortunate in my early years (late 60'S, early 70's) to spend many months resident in the No 1 Mess of the Royal Air Force . i.e Farnborough.
One of our retired Flying Medics told of being one night in foul weather , totally 'uncertain of position' ,with a misbehaving Anson and communication collapses.
As the stress levels went up,he was suddenly aware of a "presence" in the cockpit. He recognized this as a friend who had died on Meteors some months previously, and calmed down as he felt his friend "guide" him out of the situation and to a final safe conclusion.

All totally irrational, and one of the pioneer RAF Flying Doctors could have been considered well out of order in telling the story to a susceptible young officer pilot.

Equally irrational was the quiet chat I was invited to have with the RAF's then leading ENT ( Ear ,Nose and Throat) Senior Officer Medic who talked me through -with sketches, of an encounter with a large UFO which took off in front of him and his wife and disappeared up in to the sky in the Badlands of Arizona.....:hmm:

bike2lv
17th Dec 2014, 17:18
Ah now I understand the connection to 4FTS. BTW for fans of the CBC recording, if you go to the link given by A330, and access the 38:25 version listed from whodannywho, there is an initial 5-6 minute interview with Frederick Forsyth regarding the story, and then he begins a narration, fading into Alan Maitland. I'm not sure if the interview is available separately.
I used to live near Worksop!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Dec 2014, 17:31
Imagining a friend/relative appearing to help resolve a stressful situation is well known phenomenon. Singlehanded sailors report it regularly.*

UFOs in Arizona however....I've lived and flown in Arizona; I would imagine it was an atmospheric phenomenon connected to the refraction of light in heated air.

*It is 'rational'. I think it is the brain's way of resolving a belief that one is incapable of the actions which the brain understands are required.

victor tango
17th Dec 2014, 17:32
A330PC
Top quality........only meant to look but just HAD to listen to the end!!!:D

brakedwell
17th Dec 2014, 19:20
Freddie Forsythe was a National Service pilot trainnee who was a couple of courses behind me at 8 FTS Swinerby in 1956/7. This is where he gained the Vampire experience to write the Shepherd. TBH I can't remember him as courses tended to stick together socially. Worksop was a Meteor AFS.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Dec 2014, 19:54
I stand corrected. My info was from a RAF Worksop website; they 'claim' him.

ValMORNA
17th Dec 2014, 20:28
4 FTS (Vampires) was indeed at RAF Worksop while the Meteor AFS was there. I was an instructor in the Ground School there and at its previous location.
Historically, 4FTS moved from RAF Middleton-St.-George to Worksop for a short time only before continuing on to RAF Valley, which is when I left the unit. The relevant dates escape me in my dotage.

mach1photography
18th Dec 2014, 01:32
Slight drift, but my Great-Great-Uncle (Sir Hughie Edwards) was CO of RAF Habbaniya during Suez and the Iraqi Revolution in the 50's.

brakedwell
18th Dec 2014, 02:16
I humbly stand corrected. Frederick Forsyth's name came up at a 111 course reunion many years ago, after he became famous. As I said, I can't remember ever meeting him at Swinderby, but several people present were convinced he was there in 1957.

India Four Two
18th Dec 2014, 03:43
I've posted this picture in a prior year's "Shepherd" thread, but it's worth reposting:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/T11andMosquito.jpg

I encourage everyone to listen to "The Shepherd", read by the inimitable "Fireside" Al Maitland.

Flypro
18th Dec 2014, 19:22
I'm fortunate enough to possess an illustrated corrected proof copy (on proofing paper, no less!) of The Shepherd.

Best I dust it off for it's Christmas read:ok:

Guernsey Girl II
24th Dec 2014, 21:01
On in half an hour at 22:30Z if you have an Internet radio link to
CBC One St Johns Newfoundland 640 AM
Merry Chiristmas to all !

albatross
24th Dec 2017, 19:33
Merry Christmas to all ...pour a glass and listen,
'Fireside' Al Maitland reads Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio (http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-shepherd-edition-2017-1.4455219/fireside-al-maitland-reads-frederick-forsyth-s-the-shepherd-1.4458378)

kintyred
24th Dec 2017, 20:33
Thanks Albatross,

A great story by one of the best storytellers around. I read that many years ago during flying training and listening to Al Maitland reading it just now reminded me of what an excellent tale it is.
20 years ago I was flying under radar control in thick cloud over south east England when the controller said.'Standby, I've just lost my screen.'
'Roger,' says I, trying not to sound concerned.
'I'll arrange a service from.....'
'Say again.'
Silence.
There was a scramble in the cockpit to find another radar frequency when the controller piped up,
'Sorry about that, total electric failure here but we've got power back now, avoiding action turn left blah blah'
Less than a minute had elapsed and I had a crew to share the moment with, but it brought back Frederick Forsyth's story.

Merry Christmas!

Pali
24th Dec 2017, 20:40
On my way to visit my parents today I looked up and saw few contrails on the sky. I realised that most of the passengers are not leaving. They are heading home.

Pilots may miss Christmas eve because they are on duty. But I wish they could perceive all the joy they cause when they bring the loved ones to the festive table.

I am not a pilot (just being partly acquainted professionally with aviation) but I would like to express my gratitude to all of you who make it happen – we arrive safely wherever we go as SLF. You are our shepherds on seats 0A and 0B every time we want to fly somewhere.

I've heard a story today from a lady who experienced hard time 40 years ago because her mother became ill and she was placed with her brother into an asylum. Mother was released on Christmas eve and she was unable to go shopping to buy some gifts, only thing she could do was to bring the Christmas tree. Picked up her children and there was nothing below the tree. Yet the lady who told me the story said that she remembers this as the best Christmas ever. It was just being with the loved ones, at home. That was more than enough.

As I watched the sky today I was thinking of all the pilots who bring the joy to the world.

http://niejemijedno.sk/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/11/Pilot-1024x683.jpg

Thank you very much!

air pig
24th Dec 2017, 21:45
Flew back from Madeira as part of a civilian aero medical team one Christmas Eve, amazing experience, thought we were chasing Santa we moving so fast in a Lear 35. Safe journey to everyone going home tonight.

Pontius Navigator
24th Dec 2017, 21:46
My nephew managed to persuade easyJet to schedule him for a stop over in Bordeaux where he can join his parents tomorrow. He flies out Boxing Day. Thank you Pali.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Dec 2017, 21:52
Merry Christmas to all ...pour a glass and listen,
'Fireside' Al Maitland reads Frederick Forsyth's The Shepherd - Home | As It Happens | CBC Radio (http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-shepherd-edition-2017-1.4455219/fireside-al-maitland-reads-frederick-forsyth-s-the-shepherd-1.4458378)

This adaptation from the BBC is spectactularly good. Hint - download it, get some headphones, and listen in glorious stereo.

BBC Radio 3 - Between the Ears, The Shepherd (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0858nv3)

G

MrBernoulli
24th Dec 2017, 22:03
Hint - download it, ......
Whilst the audio can be streamed, it doesn't seem possible to actually download it.

BEagle
25th Dec 2017, 08:52
MrB, the CBC version ahboooot which GtE refers can be downloaded, eh, but it's not as good as the BBC Radio 3 version - for which no podcast is available.

Basil
25th Dec 2017, 09:26
Grandson had a snowy ride in a helicopter a couple of days ago although, TBH, I thought a broken femur was a bit of a high price to pay.
He thought it was great - must have a word with him ;)

flatfootsam
27th Dec 2017, 16:24
Here’s a workaround solution for the 5 part unannotated edition of the novel on youtube

Go here:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FeG3ZquZ-ow

this is part one of five, the other four parts should be sequential and pop up as you type in the first search above, if not just search for this:

The Shepherd - Frederick Forsyth Read by Robert Powell Part 1, The Shepherd - Frederick Forsyth Read by Robert Powell Part 2, The Shepherd - Frederick Forsyth Read by Robert Powell Part 3 ect

Next go here: Convert Youtube to MP3, Soundcloud Downloader - Grabfrom.com (http://www.grabfrom.com)

or just type in ‘mp3grab’ for a list of options

copy and paste the URL into the website and it will down load the audio as an mp3 file.

you will get 5 mp3 files. either play them sequentially, drop into iTunes or use an audio book builder to bind the files into one continuious mp3

A bit long winded, but you only have to do it once.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Dec 2017, 16:33
MrB, the CBC version ahboooot which GtE refers can be downloaded, eh, but it's not as good as the BBC Radio 3 version - for which no podcast is available.

I have the MP3 on my hard drive here, which I downloaded when it went up last Christmas. They've obviously pulled the podcast, but...

I may in the meantime however have accidentally uploaded it to my fileshare site here (https://c.mail.com/[email protected]/oq2ZoQ_kQ-anPMrCCswOig) and probably won't remember to close off that link for a few weeks.

G

India Four Two
28th Dec 2017, 05:14
accidentally uploaded it

G.

Forgetfulness comes with old age! ;)

radar101
24th Dec 2019, 20:26
Just had my annual reading of Forsythe's "The Shepherd" read by Alan Maitland - now available on Youtube

Merry Christmas

Radar101

NRU74
24th Dec 2019, 21:16
At the risk of further thread drift, I’ve just downloaded his ‘Biafra Story’ from the local library ebooks bit.
It’s interesting for me as I was, relatively briefly, in Nigeria, in the ‘60’s.

MightyGem
23rd Dec 2020, 21:38
Something that the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation broadcasts every year on Christmas Eve:
The Shepherd?a Canadian Christmas Classic > Vintage Wings of Canada (http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/206/The-Shepherda-Canadian-Christmas-Classic.aspx)

The audio reading:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-shepherd-edition-2017-1.4455219/fireside-al-maitland-reads-frederick-forsyth-s-the-shepherd-1.4458378

India Four Two
23rd Dec 2020, 22:30
A wonderful Christmas tradition in Canada. Read by Fireside Al Maitland. I remember hearing the very first broadcast in 1979

I received the same link that MightyGem posted. It is well worth a read, before listening to the story:
The Shepherd?a Canadian Christmas Classic > Vintage Wings of Canada (http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/206/The-Shepherda-Canadian-Christmas-Classic.aspx)

It has some great pictures. Here's one:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x868/shepherd2014_04_1_cf9a326cb3e1ea17bea903b2f6c0420a10b66e95.j pg

Here is a link to an As It Happens interview with Frederick Forsyth in 2015:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.3260571

The interview starts at 17:40 and there is a discussion of "The Shepherd" at 25:20.

OvertHawk
24th Dec 2020, 07:46
A wonderful story. The first "grown up" book i ever read, when i was about eight years old.

Going to pick it up again now having seen this thread.

Happy Christmas one and all!

bobward
24th Dec 2020, 08:42
I bought a copy when it was first published. It's everything a short story should be: short, concise, well written and deeply moving.
I still enjoy it today, after over 30 years.

Watson1963
24th Dec 2020, 09:43
Me too Bobward, I lost the original and bought a replacement a few months back, what a treat to read it again. The illustrations really give atmosphere. Reminded me of a fictional story in late 70s(?) "Pilot" mag, where a pilot flying in foul weather formates with a four engine piston which turns out to be an Avro Tudor. Our pilot is confused because the lettering on the nose is reversed, REGIT RATS .. one of the BSAA Tudors that went missing of course​​​​​​. Anybody else come across this story? Many copies of The Shepherd on abebooks or the bay that is E, for less than £5.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/630x1054/81tjm52jf2l_3ac622800a02f80c0ac3e84be2b146529cdc4178.jpg

Fonsini
26th Dec 2020, 06:33
I wish a safe landing to every pilot around the world this Christmas.

Maxibon
14th Oct 2023, 06:43
Just seen this trailer. No idea when it’s out but was filmed in West Raynham in 2022/23.

https://youtu.be/o3-5U1I-wRk?si=iTSnc6FiN_J5JEjY

Really looking forward to it, albeit I still love the original artwork in the book.

Senior Pilot
14th Oct 2023, 06:49
Just seen this trailer. No idea when it’s out

Streaming from 1st December, I shall be keen to watch this; always a great read 👍

India Four Two
14th Oct 2023, 07:05
I hope the "Hollywood" radio transmissions in the trailer are not an indication of the overall quality of the film.

VM325
14th Oct 2023, 12:12
I hope the "Hollywood" radio transmissions in the trailer are not an indication of the overall quality of the film.
I also hope the "Hollywood" advert poster isn't an indication of the overall quality of the film...! :confused:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1100x1742/screenshot_2023_10_14_at_13_09_56_60ba38bfdba3fe8339073833d0 37c7065949d50b.jpg

charliegolf
14th Oct 2023, 12:21
Ha ha, took two responses before it started...

CG

Timelord
14th Oct 2023, 12:44
I’m looking hard at the poster and trying to see twin booms on the Vampire, or is my sight going? Looking forward to the movie though!

Mogwi
14th Oct 2023, 12:57
I’m looking hard at the poster and trying to see twin booms on the Vampire, or is my sight going? Looking forward to the movie though!

Defence cuts! (Boom, boom!)

Mog

Video Mixdown
14th Oct 2023, 12:58
Always liked the book and radio version. I wonder if one of his own flying experiences drew John Travolta to the story:
"On November 24, 1992, Travolta was piloting his Gulfstream (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulfstream_II) N728T at night above a solid undercast (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercast) when he experienced a total electrical system failure". Should get a good audience as a classic Christmas ghost and getting-home story. Looking forward to seeing it.

India Four Two
17th Oct 2023, 06:06
An observation about the "Disneyfication" of "The Shepherd" by the hosts of CBC Radio's "As It Happens", home of the wonderful reading of the story by "Fireside Al":

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-2-as-it-happens/clip/16016228-situation-critical

Scroll to 24:15.

Avionker
18th Oct 2023, 10:59
Defence cuts! (Boom, boom!)

Mog

Surely you mean "Defence cuts, (Boom!)"?

Kiltrash
24th Nov 2023, 13:05
Released on Disney + 01 December a short film adapted from a Frederick Forsyth novella..

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-google&source=android-browser&q=disney+the+shepherd

skua
25th Nov 2023, 09:07
Travolta says in Beeb interview his decision to do the film was informed by his own experience:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67518127

Null Orifice
25th Nov 2023, 11:04
Is there a 'tail' chase sequence?

Lima Juliet
25th Nov 2023, 12:52
I see that Travolta has one of those Wokeston celebratory beards…

Buster Hyman
26th Nov 2023, 02:06
Must be Bill Kenwrights last hurrah.

MJ89
3rd Dec 2023, 11:59
Very smart, the outgoing scenes at night were beautiful. twiddled with he source material a lil but hey ithink its really good.
And some nice close ups of the aircraft.

Martin the Martian
3rd Dec 2023, 12:00
Watched it last night. As a longtime fan of the book (I read it every Christmas Eve without fail) I was hopeful but worried at the same time, and..

...actually, it was not bad at all. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of everything, though as the Vampire used was a former Swiss FB.6 I happily overlooked the bang seat and conventional control column rather than spade grip. The way the in-cockpit sequences were filmed made it very claustrophobic and the young actor brought across the pilot's increasing worry, frustration, desperation and eventually acceptance of his fate very well. The external shots showed how lonely a big, empty sky can be when you have problems with your aircraft and while the CGI was not perfect, it was quite acceptable.

The screenplay stuck pretty well to the book, with a few extra sequences at Celle at the beginning to overcome the fact that for a good part of the story there is little or no dialogue, and let's be honest, to have the pilot talking to himself all the time would be daft (I would not dare to say that most pilots of my acquaintance prefer to talk to themselves than others. No sirree, not me:oh:). Other dialogue is put in to overcome the same issue, though I know some people will not approve.

Talking of not approving, there is an extra sequence at the end which is going to be marmite. Personally I liked it and felt that it leaned into the story well, but others will hate it and see it as an unnecessary deviation. I'll let you make your own minds up.

Ultimately, it is worthy of 39 minutes of your time. To me it captured the heart and soul of the original novella, was clearly made with love and affection, and is a well made little piece of Christmas television.

MJ89
3rd Dec 2023, 12:16
"Talking of not approving, there is an extra sequence at the end which is going to be marmite. Personally I liked it and felt that it leaned into the story well, but others will hate it and see it as an unnecessary deviation. I'll let you make your own minds up."

guessing your alluding to the 2nd spectre/spirit.
Thought the landing part could have had abit more work into to build tension, and as a pay off, but i guess the largest factor is the north sea sequences as many pilots will be able to empathize with that feeling of being over the black and over the fog to ominously descend through, to get home to the east coast.

Timelord
3rd Dec 2023, 14:56
Do Disney + films ever make it on to other platforms (Sky, Netflix, Prime?) and if so after how long. Or do I have to stump up?

Video Mixdown
3rd Dec 2023, 15:26
Do Disney + films ever make it on to other platforms (Sky, Netflix, Prime?) and if so after how long. Or do I have to stump up?
What can you get for £4.99 these days? Just use it for a month then cancel.

Timelord
3rd Dec 2023, 15:37

OK you smooth talker, you convinced me!

Video Mixdown
3rd Dec 2023, 15:45
OK you smooth talker, you convinced me!
:).....

Timelord
3rd Dec 2023, 23:04

So, you talk me into it, I join Disney + using my I pad only to discover that my (not very) smart tv doesn’t support it and I’ll need a fire stick or similar at £40+ or have to watch it on the I pad. I blame you!

TURIN
3rd Dec 2023, 23:38
Just watched it. It's okay. There's a load of things that looked odd to me though. Was it commonplace for military aircraft back then to leave the nav lights off... at night?
When he spots the shepherd why didn't he dive along side immediately instead of buggering around with a dodgy radio and risk losing sight of it?
Did those early gas turbine exhausts really glow in the dark?

bspatz
4th Dec 2023, 08:57
Not a bad effort spoiled for me by a few slip ups which could easily have been avoided by using an ex RAF advisor from that era. The main thing that annoyed me was the 'american style' saluting which was particularly egregious when saluting without a hat which just would not have happened. Flying at night without any lights was suprising given that JT is a pilot also I don't think the vampire pilot would have got away with the length of his hair and the actors continued the long standing tradition of not knowing how to wear a beret. However, I suspect that these things would not be noticed by most of the viewers who would have enjoyed it as heartwarming Christmas tale.

charliegolf
4th Dec 2023, 09:05
bspatz
​​​​However, I suspect that these things would not be noticed by most of the viewers who would have enjoyed it as heartwarming Christmas tale.​​​

My wife (whom I assumed was not following the story): "That was lovely, I really enjoyed it!" So did I.

At the end, one of those film 'footnotes' suggested shepherding saved many aircrews' lives. Is that so, or just an occasional occurrence?

CG

Sallyann1234
4th Dec 2023, 09:18
So, you talk me into it, I join Disney + using my I pad only to discover that my (not very) smart tv doesn’t support it and I’ll need a fire stick or similar at £40+ or have to watch it on the I pad. I blame you!
Can't you 'cast' it from your iPad to the TV? You certainly can with a Android tablet.

NutLoose
4th Dec 2023, 09:34

You can either cast it onto the TV or plug your Ipad into an HDMI on the TV, see

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-an-iPad-to-a-TV

Video Mixdown
4th Dec 2023, 10:04
Technology sets traps that we all fall into sooner or later😞.

Timelord
4th Dec 2023, 11:32
Thanks Sally and Nutty, casting has failed but I have found a cable that fits the I pad at one end and the tv at the other so that is tonight’s project. As to the lack of nav lights that has been commented on; didn’t he have a total electrics failure?

Maxibon
4th Dec 2023, 14:51
There's some very amusing criticism here. Having watched it last night, it was very enjoyable, particularly the end twist; but let's get real, beards, saluting, aircraft lights; it's about a ghost!!!

NutLoose
4th Dec 2023, 16:13

You need to look at the shadow cast by the Vampire to see it.. ;)

lightonthewater
4th Dec 2023, 16:55
re lights: if you read the original book, (as I did last night) it makes a specific point that the accompanying mosquito was deliberately flying without lights in the fog / cloud to avoid being blinded by the reflection. (haven't seen the film yet)

TURIN
4th Dec 2023, 17:01
As to the lack of nav lights that has been commented on; didn’t he have a total electrics failure?

I noticed it when he was taxiing out and on the take off roll.

Timelord
8th Dec 2023, 10:05
So, finally got to watch it: Disney+ £4.99, Firestick £34, and it was….Ok. But the credits indicated that there were such things as “ Shepherd” pilots in WW2. Obviously there were cases of helping a wingman down but were there really specialists in that role?

ORAC
8th Dec 2023, 10:44
Not just aircraft, an entire organisation, though mainly to rescue those that ditched rather than lead them home - though that undoubtedly happened when a damaged aircraft was located and an escort reached it. ( P-47, not Mosquito.)

https://toflyandfight.com/down-in-the-drink-air-sea-rescue-in-the-english-channel/

….”The duty day at Saffron Walden started much the same as at the bomber and fighter groups, with the arrival of the 8th AF Field Order, by teletype, in the early hours. The duty controller then plotted the “IN” and “OUT” courses to be flown by the bombers and fighters, and based on this, he chose the rendezvous points in the Channel and the North Sea, where he would place his boats.

The same would be done for Detachment B’s P-47s, and all units were then notified of courses and RV points, and times to be on station. The boats required 3 hours minimum notice, with 1 hour for the P-47s and the other spotter aircraft.

The P-47s always operated in pairs, one to stay low and orbit the customer in the water, the other to stay high and handle communications and to provide a “target” for the fixing stations, and to provide armed cover. When their fuel state required it, they would be relieved by another pair.

The duty controller also brought all of his fixer stations, ground and air based radio relay units into operation, and the ASR service was ready for the day’s work.

From the beginning of 1944, all Allied aircrew’s direct link with ASR assistance was through channel “B” on their VHF radio. Using the universal distress code MAY-DAY, they were in immediate contact with the ASR controller, who would often ask for a long transmission if the pilot’s circumstances allowed it.

This improved the chances of the fixer stations getting a bearing. A pilot wounded or with damaged equipment could often only provide a brief and fragmentary transmission, which made it very difficult to obtain a fix.

This data was passed on to the appropriate rescue squadron and the closest launches. (The boats routinely monitored “B” channel themselves.) With the passage of time and experience the system worked well for the aircrew with the proper training to do their part, and a healthy dose of good luck.

The contributions of anonymous ASR controllers and the operators of the fixer stations brought hundreds of airmen home from the deep.”….

ve3id
8th Dec 2023, 11:10
An observation about the "Disneyfication" of "The Shepherd" by the hosts of CBC Radio's "As It Happens", home of the wonderful reading of the story by "Fireside Al":

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-2-as-it-happens/clip/16016228-situation-critical

Scroll to 24:15.
Would you be so kind as to tell us what day it aired - the link simply gives the radio show's main page and then you have to scroll through the days. As an instructor and examiner for the for the ROC-A certificate (formerly RRO-A) I cringe when I hear American misuse of ICAO radio procedure. Recently I heard an ATC recording of a speedbird calling 'Mayday' and ATC asked him 'are you declaring an emergency'!

MightyGem
8th Dec 2023, 19:08
Would you be so kind as to tell us what day it aired - the link simply gives the radio show's main page and then you have to scroll through the days. As an instructor and examiner for the for the ROC-A certificate (formerly RRO-A) I cringe when I hear American misuse of ICAO radio procedure. Recently I heard an ATC recording of a speedbird calling 'Mayday' and ATC asked him 'are you declaring an emergency'!
Go to post #10 on Page1. There's a YouTube link to a recording of the broadcast.

Thud105
9th Dec 2023, 10:42
I've heard - but not seen, that there was an almost identical story - the Shepherd is also a ghostly Mosquito - published in "The Aeroplane" in 1954, It is called "A Christmas Story" by an R. Leach. Can anyone confirm/deny?

NutLoose
9th Dec 2023, 12:29
One I always thought would make a good film is Franz Stigler’s

https://youtu.be/jNCgjIhzG4g?si=MdLSGWSx-d5urc5N

Kiltrash
9th Dec 2023, 15:37
Just watched it on my Android Tablet in Gibraltar. With no additional costs....however I did enjoy it as a piece of Christmas hokum.
Regarding the lights surely the Mossie would not have been running with lights on...there was a war on don't you know??
Did show as others have noted the feeling of loneliness single aircraft single pilot at night over the sea with instruments not working.... Surely in real life there would have been a wingman from Germany to Norfolk ...just in case .... This happened

bobward
10th Dec 2023, 07:35
Kiltrash,
The story was set in the 1950's, old boy.........

charliegolf
10th Dec 2023, 08:27
Kiltrash,
The story was set in the 1950's, old boy.........
But JK was flying his Mossie and doing his shepherding in the 40s, old boy:ok:

CG

condor17
10th Dec 2023, 08:30
Turin , don't know about early turbines . But certainly modern ones do , taxy close up directly behind the jet pipe and you'll see a cherry red glow .
Memory fades as to whether it was behind a B737 with JT8s or CFM56s . The turbine is 'burning whilst 'turning at up to 800C or so these days .

rgds condor .

RetiredBA/BY
10th Dec 2023, 08:45
No engine I have ever flown has torched as much as the Goblin on start up. On my first night start on a Vampire ( 8 FTS Swinderby, last course, 60 years ago !) it was truly amazing ! We knew it torched but was not particularly noticeable in daylight, but at night it could be quite spectacular , , just as shown in the trailer ! Dont know about a glow in flight, we never did night formation in the Vampire !
A really great story !

MightyGem
10th Dec 2023, 11:32
The Canadian version is an abridged version. The full 5 part reading by Robert Powell can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeG3ZquZ-ow&list=PLCrNpe-CIayFPpW8zgwM__Fepl07J6V1D&index=1

If you can't see anything, click on "Quote"

hec7or
10th Dec 2023, 19:32
Read the book as a teenager and I was based at West Raynham (where it was filmed), seeing the dilapidated OM made me shed a tear or two.

RetiredBA/BY
17th Dec 2023, 16:02
Watched it this afternoon found it quite emotional having trained in Vampires, so long ago.,
Same uniforms, flying kit and the Vampire night start.
The west Raynham mess, now so sadly dilapidated, reminded me so much of Binbrook one of my last stations which hosted so beautifully, our wedding reception
Yes, there are a few technical errors but still a wonderful short story, not a single expletive or profanity just a good story, , so refreshing

bspatz
17th Dec 2023, 16:51
I recall my father saying that they used to put an asbestos blanket on the tailplane of vampires during start up to prevent it burning.

Buster Hyman
18th Dec 2023, 09:20
... but still a wonderful short story...
Pretty much sums it up! :ok:

Innominate
19th Dec 2023, 21:46
I've heard - but not seen, that there was an almost identical story - the Shepherd is also a ghostly Mosquito - published in "The Aeroplane" in 1954, It is called "A Christmas Story" by an R. Leach. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I found it this afternoon - published on 24 December 1954, pages 932 and 933. The story concerns an airliner flown (i.e. captained) by a former Mosquito pilot. Over the North Sea the radio fails after the radio officer reports "the whole of the South is clamped". After the Mosquito leads them to a safe landing the mess servant tells our pilot about a man for whom he was batman, who used to "hang around if there was anyone in trouble and help guide them back... Poor chap. Disappeared just ten years tonight. Never seen again."

The WIkipedia page for the book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd says "Many have speculated references to preexisting RAF folklore. While Forsyth is a former RAF pilot and could have heard and adapted such a story (either with or without the intent to do so) no references or anecdotal evidence have been put forward to support such claims."

skua
20th Dec 2023, 07:50
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x2000/w_raynham_3_9577414c8f1eacd9145f8647a778e717947c0b96.jpg
West Raynham last week. Atmospheric (if you disregard the solar panels). There is a board saying "Caution - Active Runway" - which seems a tad optimistic.

Downwind.Maddl-Land
20th Dec 2023, 08:14
No mention up-thread of the "Darkie" system that rendered assistance to a myriad of distressed aircraft over the war years and could be considered the precursor of the modern Distress and Diversion Cell. Which system was in use during the timeframe of the subject story, I don't know; but of course Darkie required at least a serviceable receiver. (I do recall - as a Plt Off ATCO - after making some (well deserved, actually!) off-hand and facetious remark to a senior Flt Lt to "get back on the tube and look for aeroplanes flying right-handed triangles!"........)

MightyGem
25th Dec 2023, 07:48
Played it at a family gathering last night. Suffice to say it crashed and burned.

“How long did you say this lasts?”
”What was all that about?”
”Well I suppose you have to be a pilot to appreciate it”

Philistines.

RetiredBA/BY
25th Dec 2023, 16:00
Played it at a family gathering last night. Suffice to say it crashed and burned.

“How long did you say this lasts?”
”What was all that about?”
”Well I suppose you have to be a pilot to appreciate it”

Philistines.…..
???

MightyGem
25th Dec 2023, 22:05
…..
???
Philistine:
A person deficient in liberal culture and refinement; one without appreciation of the nobler aspirations and sentiments of humanity; one whose scope is limited to selfish and material interests.

PICKS135
26th Dec 2023, 15:35
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/950x634/img_0442_fa0ee7e351f69899dee8c906dcaeb621702fd4d3.jpg
Lovely sight in daylight. Leuchars 2013

Dr Jekyll
27th Dec 2023, 13:17
Was it really that difficult to bale out of a single seat Vampire?