PDA

View Full Version : Height of Bell 206 Jetranger?

vaqueroaero
24th Dec 2013, 00:02
Can someone with better Google skills than myself, or access to some books tell me the height of a Jetranger on high skid gear?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

EMS R22
24th Dec 2013, 03:02
3.28m

1st page of google......

STANDTO
24th Dec 2013, 11:42
someone told me they were designed to fit in a 40 foot shipping container if that helps.

vfr440
24th Dec 2013, 13:08
I'm not so sure. 3.38m is over 9 feet high. At AMH we always shipped a J/R on dummy skids and baulks of timber limiting the height so the mast would go in. Or take the mast out, which is easier with the lifting plate on the Xmsn top-case. - VFR

vaqueroaero
24th Dec 2013, 14:58
Thanks everyone. We're not shipping one, but buying one so needed to know if it would fit through the barn door that doubles as a hangar (on a dolly).

Vertical Freedom
25th Dec 2013, 03:51
if all else fails try the Rotorcraft Flight Manual &/or the Supplement pages for specific skid variations :D

John Eacott
25th Dec 2013, 04:06
From the 206BIII Pilot Transition Manual, P1.4, Figure 1.3 Principal Dimensions on low skids the height to the tip of the front main blade raised against the dynamic flap restraint: 11ft 7.5in.

From the Flight Manual Supplement FMS-13 Hi-Skid Landing Gear Tubular Type Page VII, 'General Information', The Hi-Skid Gear when installed will provide an approximate 13 additional inches of ground clearance etc

So it should then be a fwd tip clearance with blades tied down at the tail boom of 12ft 8.5in.

Obviously you can reduce this by tying the blades level, but by how much I don't know. Different skids will vary, Aeronautical Accessory skids may be different to Bell, and so on. But hopefully that gives an idea.

unstable load
25th Dec 2013, 08:22
I pulled a brand new 206 out of a container with the mast on and it was on dummy skids that dropped the belly to just off the deck.
If you want to ship it in a container you will either need the dummy skids or to pull the mast and tail fin off.

STANDTO
25th Dec 2013, 13:24
I'd have thought the dummy skids provide for the easiest engineering route.

206 jock
25th Dec 2013, 14:39
My 206 is on AA high skids and I have a Paravion heliporter.

I have a barn with 3.44m clear access doors and beams running across at same height. I get the blades completely level before putting the machine away, using a front tie down installed first that is sized so that when you put a little tension on the rear, the blades are level.

It goes in with around 6 inches to spare, with the heliporter at full lift. I wouldn't go much lower on the height of the doors. And if I had a Chopper Spotter or similar, I would be in trouble as the front blade goes higher..

My aircraft came from the USA on dummy skids with mast and tailfin in place, in a standard 40' container.