PDA

View Full Version : Church Fenton

Top West 50
23rd Dec 2013, 13:02
Does anyone know the status of RAF Church Fenton? They don't seem to be putting out METARs anymore. There was a parade announced in the local newsletter but this was cancelled. Where has YUAS gone? What will become of the airfield? Any rumours gratefully received.

NutLoose
23rd Dec 2013, 13:07
Read

Former RAF fighter base to be closed (From The Northern Echo) (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/northyorkshire/yorkharrogate/10311797.Former_RAF_fighter_base_to_be_closed/?ref=rss)

And weep

Archived Report - RAF Church Fenton - Church Fenton - December 2012 (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/military-sites/76776-raf-church-fenton-church-fenton-december-2012-a.html)

Archived Report - RAF Church Fenton, December 2012 (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/military-sites/76821-raf-church-fenton-december-2012-a.html)

MAINJAFAD
23rd Dec 2013, 13:41
The ATC Tower, Radios and Navaids are going the be ripped out in the very near future (if it hasn't started already).

ShyTorque
23rd Dec 2013, 14:05
Another classic RAF station gone forever, what a huge shame.

I carried out my first jet solo from there in 1977 and ten years later I lived in the Officers' Mess for a while whilst with Refresher Squadron. I hold some very happy memories of those times.

Flying Serpent
23rd Dec 2013, 14:15
Think the Met Office closed the Church Fenton met station a couple of weeks ago in advance of the main station shutdown.

cargosales
23rd Dec 2013, 14:18
From the Northern Echo ..

"The five RAF personnel at the base ..... will be redeployed"

Says it all really

1.3VStall
23rd Dec 2013, 16:01
Anyone know what will happen to the airfield? Will we be losing yet another runway?

Top West 50
23rd Dec 2013, 16:43
I instructed there, on Chipmunks, c 1969. On reflection, one of the happiest tours of my career. Two of my students made 3* so I must have done something right!

Monsun
23rd Dec 2013, 16:55
Visited Church Fenton several times with the ATC. First was on 20 April 1969 when I flew in Chipmunks WK624 and WP845. Happy days!

Dave Wilson
23rd Dec 2013, 17:57
Matz deactivated on 1 Jan. At least getting in and out of Sherburn will be a tad easier. Sad to see a great airfield go though. By the way the Fenton Flyer is still open and a splendid CAMRA pub.

BEagle
23rd Dec 2013, 19:23
Which brings the total of RAF flying stations closed in the UK since I joined the RAF to....64 :sad:

Why the heck anyone would wish to join the RAF these days is frankly beyond me...

4Greens
23rd Dec 2013, 19:29
Only problem with Church Fenton was the proximity of the main road parallel to the runway. On a foggy day it could be confusing. Had a look myself once in a Vampire.

Flypro
23rd Dec 2013, 20:08
Aug 15, 1973. Church Fenton.

I was the First RN student to solo in the Bulldog.

I remember it well!!!!:ok:

Rakshasa
23rd Dec 2013, 22:19
Never served there but did fly in with the UAS. Lots of history, seeing the old Spitfire blast pens and dispersal - overgrown but intact - was a massive surprise. Not something you expect to see on an airfield active into the jet age.

NutLoose
23rd Dec 2013, 22:23
Think there still there?

Rakshasa
23rd Dec 2013, 22:27
The Spitfires? :E

God alone knows. I haven't set foot in the place in almost 18 years.

Wensleydale
24th Dec 2013, 08:08
Lots of Memories!

First every flight in an aeroplane (AEF); first RAF Solo (Bulldog on YUAS); first jet solo (1FTS); but perhaps more significant - my mother was born in a farm under the downwind leg (for those who used it as a marker, it used to have a yellow roof).

Tankertrashnav
24th Dec 2013, 09:50
Did a thing called the Short Academic Refresher Course there in 1969 prior to transferring to Nav training. In addition to lots of sums we did interesting things like going on the bang-seat trainer which was great fun and the nearest I ever got to ejecting.

Great camp, and some good runs ashore in York.

I agree with Beagle - I have no comprehension of what the present day RAF must be like to serve in, but I have no real wish to find out :(

sapperkenno
24th Dec 2013, 10:30
Real shame the place will be no more. I went to one of the last Air Displays there as a kid, in the final year of the RAF Vulcan display (when it had "FAREWELL" written inside the bomb bay doors). My dad used to go in the 60/70s an had fond memories of the EE Lightning.
Spent some time there as a cadet while 642VGS were temporarily based there, and also flew twice from there in a Bulldog years back during "Air Experience" sorties as a cadet with a fantastic bloke (ex Jaguars) called Sqn Ldr T Steen. I was chuffed to bits when I climbed in the bulldog for my second trip (about 6 months later) and he remembered who I was from the previous trip without me saying anything more than "hello Sir". I was doing my PPL out of Leeds Bradford at the time, aged 15, and asked if we could go and look at Holme on Spalding Moor as it would be a turning point on an upcoming Nav trip (I couldn't solo yet so had jumped ahead a little with the PPL training to doing some Navexs) and I wanted to have a cheeky look to easily identify it in future. So off we went, first flight of the day, giving his wife a wave as we flew over their house in Cawood, then onto H-S-M.
Then in more recent years, flying for leisure, and instructing locally, it was always nice to work with the Fenton controllers and get the odd (freebie) ILS approach to 2 miles.
Many happy memories of the place.

NutLoose
24th Dec 2013, 11:30
sSpent some time there as a cadet while 642VGS were temporarily based there, and also flew twice from there in a Bulldog years back during "Air Experience" sorties as a cadet with a fantastic bloke (ex Jaguars) called Sqn Ldr T Steen.

Small world isn't it, I had my jag trip with him in Gib on 14 Sqn :)

sharpend
24th Dec 2013, 12:17
Hi Flypro, I was a QFI on RNEFTS when you were there. I own a Bulldog now XX614! Derek Sharp

ShotOne
24th Dec 2013, 14:15
Well if you want somewhere to fly it from, RAF Church Fenton was up for sale a few months back, and maybe still is,

Flypro
24th Dec 2013, 14:17
Derek,

Unfortunately, we never flew together - but I certainly remember your name!

Lucky you to own XX614. My first solo was in XX519 with Lt Jennings and subsequently Sqn Ldr Jim Villus as my Beefers.

Stendec5
25th Dec 2013, 14:12
Has anybody calculated just how much damage has been done since this so-called "government" slithered into office?
Nimrod MR.4, Harriers, Ark Royal, Kinloss, Church Fenton, troop reductions,
troops being tossed aside by text-message, the ongoing carriers fiasco, and a whole lot more besides...
Yet this same rabble will happily lavish billions on "foreign aid" and then billions more on their beloved "EU". Clearly, it's not a question of money as those wasted billions will testify.
One wonders just what their real motivation is. Meanwhile the vandalism continues. Breaking-point can't be far off now.

Wensleydale
25th Dec 2013, 18:52
Such vitriol. Perhaps if Mr Brooon hadn't completely wasted our national reserves then some money would be available to pay for the items on your list! It was almost as if he knew that Labour couldn't maintain in power and he played scorched earth to make the successive government look bad - the other reason is that he was a complete incompetent. You choose.

NutLoose
25th Dec 2013, 19:19
In one, it was the systemic plundering of the Country and the reserves before the Conservatives got into power that forced some unpleasant cuts on the Services.

It really rankles when you see the likes of Balls blaming the cuts on the current bunch of muppets, when the truth is they are simply trying to clean up their mess.

Dave Wilson
25th Dec 2013, 19:38
It was almost as if he knew that Labour couldn't maintain in power and he played scorched earth to make the successive government look bad - the other reason is that he was a complete incompetent.

You've missed out the other other reason. Did he have mental health issues. I'm not joking either.

Wander00
25th Dec 2013, 21:48
I'm with Nutloose on this one.

ShotOne
26th Dec 2013, 08:58
I agree, Nutloose. Had a company director behaved with Brown's financial recklessness he would be facing jail time. But many of the issues stendec's complaining about would be happening whatever; even if we had an unlimited sack of cash would we need two major airbases a few miles apart in Northern Scotland, or three (or four) flying training stations in Central England?

V_J
26th Dec 2013, 09:20
I was one of the fortunate students on YUAS in recent years able to enjoy the airfield before it was closed. Got about 70 hours on the Tutor there with some very good instructors. I joined in 2009 and after the best three years of my life went into civ street after the pilot intake for severals years had been 0. Never mind, hoping to be flying for a different sort of flag carrier soon.

The base deteriorated dramatically in my time on YUAS but I can confirm that the Spitfire pens are still there, although overgrown. Still a nice piece of history that hopefully won't be allowed to disappear. The Sqn HQ is essentially derelict now and it was a real shame to see it on my last visit.

Church Fenton had a great send off on the 13th of December with a responsible drinking session in 3 Hanger. You'll all be pleased to know that the burning piano was supervised with a full RAF fire crew complete with a full size RAF fire truck.

NutLoose
26th Dec 2013, 09:32
ShotOne
I agree, Nutloose. Had a company director behaved with Brown's financial recklessness he would be facing jail time.

And now he appears to be travelling the world selling his bile, whilst appearing to take little part in representing his electorate, a job he is being paid to do.

Wander00
26th Dec 2013, 09:52
I suspect that in time Broon will be seen in his true light, as the worst Chancellor then worst PM in UK history, IMHO of course

Lima Juliet
26th Dec 2013, 10:11
I agree that Broon is a buffoon and in no way financial genius that Bliar had us believe. He also should have 'made hay whilst the sun was shining' during the boom years. However, look at this:

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/ukgs_line.php?title=Public%20Net%20Debt&year=1930_2011&sname=&units=p&bar=0&stack=1&size=m&spending0=161.58_171.49_175.76_177.57_172.91_165.01_156.08_1 45.95_145.65_137.71_109.97_119.79_137.54_156.77_182.34_215.6 4_237.12_237.94_213.97_197.77_193.89_175.34_161.99_152.16_14 6.66_138.19_129.03_122.18_118.14_112.44_106.76_103.06_99.87_ 98.15_90.97_84.82_82.07_79.41_78.33_72.27_63.99_57.99_55.46_ 49.48_47.87_43.48_44.81_45.70_46.76_43.61_42.11_44.40_44.55_ 43.13_43.59_43.45_41.81_39.14_34.98_29.30_26.69_25.27_26.70_ 30.97_36.05_39.55_41.20_41.93_40.14_37.85_35.38_30.58_29.34_ 30.46_31.84_33.80_34.85_35.57_36.61_44.26_52.08_59.71&legend=&source=a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a _a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a _a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a_a

If you look at this the spending started in 1997 when the idiots on the left got in and only the financial boom saved the debts spiralling prior to 2007. However, I do think the idiots on the right are doing an 'ok' job, but I also agree that they 'could do better' (sounds like my old school report!). Frittering money away on schemes like over-seas aid and the EU is bad but sadly I suspect this is down to be being in a coalition with the idiots in the middle.

What we really need is a post-war expansion of manufacturing like we did in the 50s/60s that drove the debt down. Unfortunately, the idiot known as Major turned us into a nation of shopkeepers and as some-one (I can't remember who) stated "We can't all cut each others' hair!".

LJ

Dengue_Dude
26th Dec 2013, 10:23
Top West 50

Two of my students made 3* so I must have done something right!

. . . or, perhaps more would have made it if they had someone else . . . ? :confused::confused::confused:

Biggus
26th Dec 2013, 10:38
I've never been to Church Fenton myself, but, because I'm a sad giffer, I was looking on satellite images of it a couple of days ago trying to find the Spitfire pens. Can anyone give me a few pointers for where on the airfield I should be looking?

I don't know if Cosford/Duxford count, but in the same way as examples of collieries, railway works, etc are preserved as part of our "cultural heritage" it would be nice to see a military airfield or two preserved, as opposed to being turned into yet another housing complex/light industrial estate.

Lima Juliet
26th Dec 2013, 11:08
Biggus

Look to the East of the 34 threshold and you'll see a loop of taxyway. They are around that loop.

LJ

MrBernoulli
26th Dec 2013, 11:25
I wasn't even aware that Church Fenton had closed for good! A shame. It was the friendliest little RAF station I can recall, when 7 FTS was still in operation. I also spent time there as a QFI on YUAS.

What has happened to YUAS, has it moved to Linton-on-Booze?

V_J
26th Dec 2013, 11:29
It has indeed moved on to Linton. Good luck getting there on a Friday night from Hull as a student...pffffft.

NutLoose
26th Dec 2013, 14:44
The sites are listed

1021191 - The National Heritage List for England | English Heritage (http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1021191)

Biggus
26th Dec 2013, 15:19
LJ,

Thanks....!!

Nutloose - you too!!

Army Mover
26th Dec 2013, 15:27
I guess the fate of Church Fenton was sealed when they put a brand new "RAF Church Fenton" sign off the old A1 at Brotherton a few months ago. Local rumour mill is that new houses will be going up in the next 5 years.

ShyTorque
26th Dec 2013, 16:22
At least the folks living in those new houses will get a good view of HS2....

Stendec5
26th Dec 2013, 17:27
Why "vitriol?" Expressing an opinion forcefully perhaps but what's wrong with that?
My point was that with £11,000,000,000 lavished on "foreign aid" and I believe
£50,000,000 per DAY handed over to the so-called "EU" (you work it out) it is as I mentioned in my previous post, NOT a question of money.
If those billions were directed inwards Britain's military capability could be maintained at a respectable level AND the crumbling infrastructure of the nation might also be reversed.
Why do you keep droning on about Gordon Brown? Red Dave has been in power for over three years now. Using their own figures he must have handed over 3 x £11,000,000,000 = £33,000,000,000 in "foreign aid" on top of the additional billions he;s handed over to the so-called "EU". With that kind of money Britain's armed forces should have all they need...and deserve.

Sir George Cayley
26th Dec 2013, 17:41
Does anyone else think CF would have made a better choice than Yeadon?

Looking now at the adjacent rail line and reasonably close M1/A1 it makes me think it was a missed opportunity just like Burtonwood in place of Ringway and Speke.

SGC

Dave Wilson
26th Dec 2013, 19:09
Does anyone else think CF would have made a better choice than Yeadon?

Runway at Yeadon 400 or so metres longer?

1.3VStall
26th Dec 2013, 20:34
DW, Yeadon was a lot shorter before they extended it - twice!

N707ZS
26th Dec 2013, 21:40
I went on what was probably the last visit to Church Fenton in late November. There were half a dozen grobs still active and the based jet provosts and other vintage aircraft were getting ready to move over to Linton.

The ILS was due to be dug up and moved to Topcliffe.

There was some hope that the airfield might be developed into a civilian airfield with development being effected by listed areas.

clicker
28th Dec 2013, 02:35
Strange how some things come home to you but after I first saw this post I decided to bring my personal radio freq list up to date (still wip).

It was only after I deleted various airfields, including Church Fenton and then deleted various stud list entries for disbanded units that I noticed how much has gone. And that's only after a few months of neglect. The database is quite a bit smaller now.

Gone are the days of being able to stuff in a few LJAO freqs and get a few of you folks going hither and dither. In fact some freqs I've not heard for a while its gone that quiet at times, mind you living in the SE is not quite the best place for military traffic. :(

That said I'll get back to the boxes and see what gaps I can fill in. You never know I might catch something similar to a Harrier deployment a few years ago where the conversation caught was about the best place to put the sarnies without them getting too hot or too cold. :ok: Important stuff first eh?

ShotOne
28th Dec 2013, 08:56
Nothing wrong with a bit of vitriol, properly directed stendec. In what you say about foreign aid I can only agree, particularly as much of it seems to get spent less than wisely. As for EU, "red" Dave is the only politico likely to deliver a vote on the issue.

But if you just want rows and rows of shiny jet fighters like 1980, dream on.

Roland Pulfrew
28th Dec 2013, 08:57
RAF Church Fenton; probably the friendliest station I ever served on. Criminal that it is closing and more criminal that it has been allowed to go the way that it has. It is/was the best example of a 1930s fighter airfield left in the country think Bicester but with a couple of "modern" buildings). For those wondering, all the married quarters were sold off in the late 90s; when I drove past a month or two ago all were looking well cared for. The bit that is up for sale/sold for a housing development is the old Officers' Mess site. Plans and a planning app for 65 houses shoe-horned into the area shown in the Google Maps shot below

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x133/RolandPulfrew/61b1922910b14b13c41d7a5165b585e5_zpsed4a2245.jpg

A large chunk of the site is/was also up for sale is part of the technical site which comprised the old Sgts' Mess, the Airmans' Club and all of the accommodation blocks. The bit that was kept for the EFT units, YUAS, 9 AEF and the ATC unit was effectively all of the waterfront, supply (as overspill for L-o-O) and the old SHQ; other bits such as Stn workshops, MT, the church were inside the wire but derelict. On my last visit it was sad to see the the pre-war parachute packing/store building had joined the list of recent demolitions.

YUAS and 9 AEF have moved to Linton (one wonders how long for given the rumours surrounding the disastrous MFTS programme), not sure what has happened to the ATC Sqn though.

ShotOne
28th Dec 2013, 09:02
PS. Totally agree on cf being better than Yeadon which is a horrid place to try to land big metal when it's windy. Unfortunately CF was spoken for at the time the decisions were taken.

Roland Pulfrew
28th Dec 2013, 09:07
And of course you can't really extend the runways at Fenton without destroying any number of villages, rerouting main railway lines and diverting a few roads. Actually road access to Fenton isn't exactly easy nowadays and was much more difficult until they built the new section of the A1. Mind you, none of this seems to be an issue for Heathrow and Stanstead (apparently:ugh:).

Failed_Scopie
28th Dec 2013, 12:16
I was one of the fortunate students on YUAS in recent years able to enjoy the airfield before it was closed. Got about 70 hours on the Tutor there with some very good instructors. I joined in 2009 and after the best three years of my life went into civ street after the pilot intake for several years had been 0. Never mind, hoping to be flying for a different sort of flag carrier soon.

What an absolute waste of talent! I hope that your new choice of career works out for you...

thrusts a must
28th Dec 2013, 17:39
SGC

Yeadon was bought from Messrs Whitely and Dawson by Leeds and Bradford city councils. CF and other propositions e.g. to build N of the chevin were always blocked by Bradford. Before Cat 3 I do recall the odd occasion when LBA got diversions from Man, as it poked out of the fog.

Nobody asked the drivers

davski
28th Dec 2013, 18:52
Roland Pulfrew: The ATC Squadron are staying put, their building and a sizable chunk of concrete has been fenced off.

Finningley Boy
28th Dec 2013, 21:08
I was there as a child in the 60s and 70s for the SSAFA Air Displays, I first saw the Red Arrows there in 1965, I also seem to recall a magenta painted fighter with red cheat lines? Can't recall what it was as I was so young, but I clearly remember it, the mind may play tricks now but I'd put money on it being an F-86 Sabre even though I've never seen any photos of such a beast since but imagine there would be given how unique it would be. I also recall the Reds arriving in 1973 and 1976 each time pretty spectacular with the team all over the public enclosure dowsing one and all in display smoke, on one occasion I felt the need to not so much duck as throw myself on the grass as one nose light seemed to point at me at considerable speed, between the cars.

I also flew from there as an Air Cadet in 1975 in a Chipmunk of 9 AEF.

FB:)

ShotOne
28th Dec 2013, 21:15
Diversions from MAN?? LBA poking INTO fog very much more common than tother way round!

Stendec5
28th Dec 2013, 21:35
I was around at the time and despite Maggie's efforts, there were no rows of shiny jets all lined up. Far from it. I recall a headline from the late 70s (possibly Express or Fail) announcing that the RAF had just 78 fighters to defend the UK.
I was simply making the point that the money IS there, it's just that these out of touch public-school disasters would prefer to spend it anywhere but HERE.
I read today that "we" send £27,000,000 in "aid" to CHINA, whilst British troops still have questionable gear in Afganistan...due to "lack of money."

BEagle
28th Dec 2013, 22:10
...given the rumours surrounding the disastrous MFTS programme...

Interesting - do tell!

I don't normally go in for schadenfreude, but would certainly make an exception for the UTTER bolleaux of MFTS!

Toadstool
28th Dec 2013, 23:24
I don't normally go in for schadenfreude, but would certainly make an exception for the UTTER bolleaux of MFTS!

Interesting. Why is it you delight in what you say is the utter bolleaux of the MFTS programme? Those that are around, and have been involved in combat operations for quite a while, still want a programme that fits for the new roles, types etc that are still around and will be in the future. We recognise that in the smaller forces that we have now, we have to make do with what we have. We may not like it, but that is the reality of the here and now, rather than living in the past. As a former member of the RAF, and presumably someone who has an interest of HM forces, why do you delight in something going wrong?

I presume it is because you have some magical solution that fits in with the economic and military situation in which we find ourselves in. In that case, as a respected former member, perhaps you could come up with the ideal solution which would obviously be far better than those who have an understanding of the current capabilities and financial situation.

I apologise if this seems a little harsh, but I am starting to get slightly annoyed at those highly respected former members who seem to have no grasp whatsoever of the current economic and military predicament in which we find ourselves in. In fact, the world geo-politial situation has changed to such an extent that to have a force designed to oppose the Red Army coming across the Inner German Border is now seemed as an anachronism. Hence the first part of the cuts as Options For Change and subsequent defence reviews. Both you and I may not agree this but, instead of lamenting the current state of training, we should instead be lauding the fact that as a force we have been acquitting ourselves quite well and will be able to train for that in the future. I would like to think that we are quite adaptable and could change our policy in the future. I am of course a glass half full sort of person.

BEagle
29th Dec 2013, 07:09
An organisation which cannot even invest in training its own instructors and which thinks that a contractor with a non-sustainable plan for future military training is the solution, is an organisation which has a serious problem.

First question to the MFTS snake-oil salesmen is "And where do you think your next generation of QFIs will come from?" - which usually elicits a guppy fish at feeding time response. They have no idea - it's all about short term savings and contractor's profits.....

So if the pyramid collapses, as a former QFI and civil FI, I won't be sad. Along with many of my former colleagues, many of whom are still serving, it'll be a case of "We told you so....".

Because the MFTS concept is complete and utter bolleaux; the training courses and aircraft may be one thing, the sustained availability of high-quality instructors beyind the initial cadre quite something else.

I would like to think that we are quite adaptable and could change our policy in the future.

And therein lies the rub. The UK armed forces are now so small that there are virtually no aircrew in ground tours or surplus to other needs who could be sprung to be trained as QFIs and to build up instructional experience. There is no-one left to augment CFS for any surge need and there are neither aerodromes nor aircraft available to facilitate such a requirement. Too much has now been sold off and too much reliance placed upon contractor solutions.

thrusts a must
29th Dec 2013, 09:17
ShotOne,

True! But I meant fog as in radiation not fog as in cloud.

Infrequent I agree.

Lifts a gift

sharpend
29th Dec 2013, 14:38
Talking of Church Fenton, am I the only pilot ever to do a Cat 3C landing there? Read on:

One incident caused me particular concern and I’ll come onto that in a while. Years after my tour on the mighty Chippy at RAF Church Fenton, whilst flying for British Airways, I was trained to fly what was termed ‘Category 3c Autoland; that is landing at an airport which was completely fogged out. That procedure is totally safe if the aircraft is properly equipped with Cat 3 landing avionics, the crew are properly trained and current and the airfield is certified for Cat 3 landings. However, my first ‘Autoland’ was actually in a Chipmunk, which I don’t think is ‘properly equipped’.

Anyway, one starry night my student and I found ourselves plodding on across the North York Moors. We navigated partly by the lights of towns (fat lot of good over the moors), accurate heading and time (difficult with an antiquated P11 compass) and as I said, the occasional true bearing from the very few RAF airfields open at night.

But at least it was peaceful and the flying was smooth.

Just before we were due to make our final turn for home, ATC called me to suggest I hurry up as fog was beginning to form over the airfield. Well in my trusty ancient flying machine all I could do was to increase speed by a few knots and thus we started our labourious trek home.

Then the bottom fell out of my world. ATC “R83, hurry up, we are now down to 250 metres”. Well with at least 20 minutes flying time to go I made the sensible decision and decided to divert to RAF Leeming, a large airfield and closer by. Sadly, upon stating my decision, I was told that too had gone out in fog. So too had the local civil airport, Leeds Bradford. Given that I had insufficient fuel to reach anywhere else, I had no choice but to continue at top speed towards base.

Amid more and more gloomy met reports, we gradually approached Church Fenton. As I flew into the Military Air Traffic Zone, ATC piped up to tell me that the visibility had now dropped to a mere 50 metres. It was now impossible for me to land.

Was this going to be my first for real parachute jump? Church Fenton was my only option and I was down to my last ten minutes of fuel. I was worried! I had a right to be ☺. However, as I flew into the overhead, I could make out the runway, albeit bathed in a rather ghostly haze. No problem, I thought. I was wrong!

ATC cleared me to land and I started my approach. By now I was flying the aircraft from the rear seat, hardly able to trust my teenage student. Actually I think he was wetting himself! Initially all seemed fine, but as we approached two hundred feet above ground I entered the fog. Mega pea soup. Trouble was I had to continue, as for the last 20 minutes or so I had been flying on full throttle and I was rapidly running out of fuel. Not that I could see how much we had anyway. Moreover, we had nowhere else to go and I probably had insufficient fuel to even climb to 2000 feet to bail out. But at just two hundred feet per minute rate of decent, I thought that the landing might not be any worse than the usual student touch down.

I was right. I felt the main wheels touch Mother Earth and I closed the throttle, keeping straight by the direction indicator. I could see nothing, not even the runway lights, however I knew that that there was nothing serious to hit. In a very short space of time we came to a halt and I breathed a great sigh of relief. We were alive and had even stopped on the black stuff! A short transmission to the control tower told them I was down safely and they replied that a Landrover was on its way to pick us both up. There was no way I was going to taxi back to dispersal in that pea soup.

Minutes later we were on our way back to the crew room for the usual tea and medals. However, having managed to perform a miracle and successfully land my aircraft in thick fog, I was less than pleased to be almost killed by the ATC Landrover nearly mowing us down as it hurtled passed us in the zero visibility. My pent up feelings that night were directed towards the hapless driver, but we lived to fight another day!

BEagle
29th Dec 2013, 15:56
Great tale, Blunty!

You must have more lives than a cat - what with engine fire in a Canberra whilst 'getting some hours for the boss' wall' and your Close Encounter of the Goose Kind.....:eek:

Happy New Year, you old rogue!

Flypro
29th Dec 2013, 16:22
How nice to be back on topic, thanks Sharpend!

My memories of Church Fenton are all happy ones. A great bunch of studes and instructors, hard work both in the air and on the ground, Chippies and Bulldogs sharing the circuit, and some stupendous Mess Dinners - which usually incurred the displeasure of the station C.O. (or should that be O.C.?)

two dinners spring readily to mind even after all these years.

The first was a Taranto Night (demanded by the RN as a right!) where we studes invited the pale blue hierarchy outside the main doors of the (C shaped )mess to watch a re-enactment of the attack, whilst unbeknown to them the doors behind them were locked tight. At the climax of the valiant attack by cardboard Swordfish models they were assaulted with rockets, hosepipes and bags of flour dropped from the roof above. There were very few blue uniforms of any hue, light or dark, that didn't end up white that night!

The second was the dining out of a very unpopular station C.O. who had made the decision that "Officers do not ride bicycles".
As he made his farewell speech odd bits of bicycle were floating above his head and above the assembled throng via a very complicated pulley system kept loaded with bits from outside the french windows. I think this man also decreed that "Officers never run"!!!

Ah, the rosy wine-fuelled memories of yesteryear:):)

Top West 50
30th Dec 2013, 12:00
Ripping yarn Blunty!

I'm just trying to place the student flying training syllabus that required night navigation in a Chipmunk? And was that before the Cat III experience or after?

Surely you should have been able to read the fuel guages with the torches that the SOP required both of you to carry? And if you could not read the guages, how did you know you only had 10 minutes left?

What on earth were you doing so far from home? It would have taken you at leat 20 minutes to get to Pickering and the pretty inhospitable parachute country beyond.

You don't mention the instrument approach but I assume it was an ACR7 or a QGH, those being the only aids available at Fenton in Chipmunk days I seem to remember. Nice bit of flying and controlling accordingly!

As I said, ripping yarn!

SFCC
31st Dec 2013, 08:38
Slight whiff of BS about all that, but a thrilling read!

Incidentally, Cat 111c doesn't exist in the real world

sharpend
31st Dec 2013, 17:30
Top West, read the script. We had plenty of fuel until the fools at base recalled me urgently. Flying flat out in a Chippy uses 3 times more fuel. Of course, I did have suitable diversions, and all TAF'd CAVOK. But the met man got it very wrong. Like he did that day at West Raynham.

Fly Pro, I was at that dinner... You owe me for dry cleaning! :ok:

sharpend
31st Dec 2013, 17:32
SFCC, my story is complete true. Ask Beagle about the duck. I very much doubt if you would believe that either!

Dendmar
31st Dec 2013, 18:56
Having insructed at Cranwell, Swinderby and Barkston Heath, I took early retirement in 2010 as for the first time in nearly 40 years of aviation, I no longer enjoyed it. The military has gone from training for excellence to one of adequacy - it is such a shame.

BEagle
31st Dec 2013, 19:35
Ask BEagle about the duck. I very much doubt if you would believe that either! From 't Interweb:

Sqn Ldr Derek Sharp and his navigator Flt Lt Lester Pearce, a former Vulcan navigator, were flying at low level when they hit a duck as the Hawk was flying at around 500 mph. The duck shattered the cockpit canopy. The Daily Telegraph reported the event in detail as described by Sqn Ldr Sharp:

"Suddenly there was a great big thud in the face and I couldn't see any more. The wind was making an infernal noise. I pulled back the stick and closed the throttle. I felt no pain. I wiped what I could away from my eyes and I could just see a little out of my right eye. There was muck and blood and feathers everywhere. I couldn't open my left eye. I could just about make out the cockpit, but couldn't see out. I latched on to the instruments and crouched down under the dashboard because of the gale. As we slowed down to 150 mph I was able to talk to the navigator in the rear seat."

Les Pearce helped to keep the dual-controlled trainer jet in the air, reading out the speed and height and they headed for Wittering, Cambridgeshire, about six minutes flying time away.

Then the aircraft's speed reduced as it came into land, and the fierce air flow into the cockpit eased.

"I said we would probably be ejecting because I couldn't see, but in the end I just had sufficient vision to put her down in the middle of the runway. The fire crew couldn't believe it. They just stood and stared when this gory, blood covered character got out. It was a bit like driving up the M1 at 150 mph with a shattered windscreen while only being able to see out of one eye."

Sqn Ldr Sharp had three operations, including, he says, "Chromo-therapy and welding the eye back with a very cold gas." He explained, "My nose is better than before I broke it as a kid and the surgeons have finally straightened it out."

Sqn Ldr Sharp was awarded the Air Force Cross ( AFC) for this action.

Only Blunty could have recovered the Hawk in such circumstances! How's the book coming, by the way.....??? And a Happy New Year to you, Derek!

NutLoose
31st Dec 2013, 21:16
Surprised you never edited the names out.

PPRuNe Pop
31st Dec 2013, 21:34
Why would he/we? The story is in the public domain and it is a 'good' story, which deserves a view. I hadn't heard of it before and I very much admire the skill shown. That is what flying is all about. HNY.

PPP

NutLoose
31st Dec 2013, 21:40
I realise that, but some people like to hide behind the anonymity of their forum name. Maybe they do not mind, and maybe he asked first... Who knows.