PDA

View Full Version : M1 Visas still issued?

black olive
13th Nov 2001, 01:56
Hello, I'm considering going to States in Winter to do PPL. I have two questions:
1. There was a posting last month stating that the US were suspending M1 visas for flight training for 6 months. Has this happened? Can anyone who has received an M1 recently let me know.
2. If I complete my PPL in the states on an M1 and decide later to continue trainng commercially at the same, or a different school, would I then be able to obtain a J-1 Visa?

flying albatross
15th Nov 2001, 20:30
As the International Admissions Manager for a prominent flight school in the US, I can tell you that M1 visas are being issued. We recently had a student interview and obtain an M1 student visa from Nigeria US Embassy (About 2 wks ago). He has consequently arrived and will be starting training today.

If you come to the US on an M1 visa and obtain a PPL, you will not be eligible to get a J1 visa thereafter. This is according to a letter received directly from the United States Information Agency (USIA), that oversee the J1 Exchange Visitor Program.

I wish you the best of luck in training, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me via email. Cheers... :)

QUERY
15th Nov 2001, 21:16
There has been plenty already on this and if you hold British, or other eligible, citizenship, you don't need a visa as you may enter under the tourist visa waiver program(me) as a PPL course is recreational, i.e. non-vocational, training. Just fill in the green form which will be handed out during the flight from UK. However, the visa waiver does not apply if you intend to take vocational, includes commercial flight, training or, of course, work in the US, in which case you must have the appropriate visa, before you enter.

black olive
16th Nov 2001, 04:00
Thank you both for your comments. Flying Abatros, I was going to send you an email, however your email address seems to be blocked. I'd like to know which school you represent, how much do you charge for the PPL etc, and do you accept students if they are not entering on an M1 Visa. I'd like to keep the option of a J1 open if possible.