PDA

View Full Version : EK : Alternate call sign. Has anyone ever used it?

Desdihold
22nd Dec 2013, 09:15
I see it is still part of our briefing package but I have yet to use it or hear of anyone else using it.

FUSE PLUG
22nd Dec 2013, 10:14
I did once a few months ago. We were back from DMM at 6am with 4 aircraft on freq that had almost identical sounding call signs. I think we were all equally sleepy and reading back each others assignments. So I asked the DXB ATCO to change our call sign. She was good about it and it solved the problem.

Haven't used since because I didn't think it was needed, but would again if the situation arose.

Truthfully, I'm surprised that more people don't use it. I think its a good idea; however, I know that there are plenty of us on here who disagree.

TCAS FAN
22nd Dec 2013, 11:15
Similar sounding callsigns on frequency, ask one or more to use the aircraft registration? Been doing it more years than I can remember in UK airspace.

ferris
22nd Dec 2013, 13:17
Had to be used a few days ago- two flights with exactly the same callsign in the airspace at the same time. Dispatch error?

GA Button
22nd Dec 2013, 13:22
It certainly has it's merits but I think it's biggest restriction is that we can only use it with DXB control.

Before that, we've been through at least a couple of control agencies with the guys with a similar call sign and by the time we're passed to DXB we're pretty much tuned in to the problem.

Still, nice to have the option.

Fromagio
23rd Dec 2013, 06:34
Used it once a few weeks back as there was another company aircraft with similar callsign on freq. Did it more for the novelty value since we'd been following the said aircraft for a few hours by the time we had reached Dubai. Worked well enough.

Desert Driver
25th Dec 2013, 01:54
I did hear it used on the company frequency, after a protracted none operational rant. Another aircraft chipped in at the end "Pr!ck!" Does that count?
DD

Plazbot
5th Jan 2014, 14:26
Just this morning there were near identical call signs trucking into DESDI hold. One of the crews cleverly decided to use a group number format that took the confusion out of it and told me that will be their callsign from now on. :D was far easier (even though the alternate callsign is not for us in the ACC) than messing about with letters that are not on the screen. Both Heavy so appending Super was not an option.