PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Landing in Bristol in Strong Crosswinds

Thunderbirdsix
19th Dec 2013, 15:16
What do you guys think of this landing in Bristol yesterday in very strong crosswinds, I think its a great landing well done the flight crew.

Sideways landing at Bristol airport in strong wind - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuV7LAJDkEk&feature=youtu.be)

JW411
19th Dec 2013, 15:20
Bearing in mind that the 737-800 is not really an ideal wing-down aeroplane, I thought they did very well.

BEagle
19th Dec 2013, 15:24
A well-flown landing in unpleasant conditions.

Regardless of anything else one might think about Ryanair, it cannot really be denied that their pilots probably have more exposure to the need for manual handling skills by virtue of the diverse number of airports the airline serves. Hence they probably have more well-honed skills than many other airlines' pilots.

And hats off too to the German Wings pilots for the excellent landing I experienced at London Airport last night, despite a horrid gusting cross-wind.

Hotel Tango
19th Dec 2013, 15:27
:eek: Absolutely terrible. They didn't touchdown on the CL. :p

JW411
19th Dec 2013, 15:36
Back in my Transport Command days, it used to be said that a "C" Cat stayed within three feet of the centre line. A "B" Cat hit every single centre line light with his nosewheel and an "A" Cat managed to keep each individual nosewheel on either side of the centre line!

macdo
19th Dec 2013, 15:42
Was that with a Vapp of 65kts? :ok:

said humorously and with tongue in cheek!

Doors to Automatic
19th Dec 2013, 15:44
Looked to be going at a fair pace - I am guessing Flap 30, VREF 148kts :ok:

JW411
19th Dec 2013, 16:00
Which reminds me of a dark and stormy night at Liverpool. The surface wind was given as 310 at 55 Gusting 78. So at least the crosswind component on runway 27 wasn't too outrageous but the turbulence was moderately interesting.

At about 200 feet on finals, the right wing started to come up and despite full right aileron and a suitable amount of rudder I couldn't stop it. I was within a second of making a go-around when it all came back together again and we landed quite nicely.

On the roll-out, the Tower asked me "Is it true that adrenalin is brown?"

I am just so glad that I have never ever had to face the problem of landing a Boeing 777 at SFO in CAVOK conditions at any time during my long flying career.

It must be a truly horrendous experience.

Samba Anaconda
19th Dec 2013, 16:44
In Korean Air, it's a fail if you do that! More than 5 degrees residual crab! Not precisely on centerline! Some residual drift on a dry runway! And more.....:E

3bars
19th Dec 2013, 16:47
What ever happened kicking off the drift before touchdown?!:E

camel
19th Dec 2013, 16:56
the B:):)oeing can take it no worries..

Skipname
19th Dec 2013, 17:18
Great skills and landing however a good pilot is a pilot who doesn't have to use his special skills to get out of an unwanted situation.

5711N0205W
19th Dec 2013, 20:10
Very nicely done.

llondel
19th Dec 2013, 20:22
It was a few years ago now, but I can remember standing in the Ryanair shed watching all the go-arounds at Stansted one windy day. Most of them gave up while several hundred feet up, but some obviously got hit by a strong gust when almost down. Some even managed to land, I guess they were the ones who got lucky with the timing of the wind gusts.

MerchantVenturer
21st Dec 2013, 10:49
BRISTOL WEATHER: Wind gusts of 56mph recorded tonight | Bristol Post (http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-WEATHER-Warning-60mph-gusts-region/story-20338008-detail/story.html)

This link shows another landing in the very strong winds at BRS last Wednesday evening - a CityJet ARJ85 operating from Paris Cdg for Air France.

Click the right-hand arrow at the side of the picture at the beginning of the report to view a sequence of pictures showing the landing.

RedhillPhil
21st Dec 2013, 11:21
Apparently flight BE854 was in declared trouble coming in at Birmingham yesterday. All trains halted whilst the aircraft landed.