PDA

View Full Version : Green Merlin lands on Hampstead Heath 12.25

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 11:29
First time i've seen that. Must assume its a CASEVAC to the Royal Free. It was down for less than a minute, too quick to get a picture. Anyone know for sure?

Nice aircraft and good flying.

airborne_artist
19th Dec 2013, 11:32
More likely there's a top secret 24SAS mission brewing - the guys will be being briefed in the extensive secret bunker complex that's under the Heath.

You did know there's a bunker there didn't you? ;)

Wander00
19th Dec 2013, 11:34
Is there a good pub in the area?

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 11:37
AA, Actually there is one in the never completed Bull and Bush station, but that's the other side of the heath. I've been down and yes they have been used for "government purposes"

Bull & Bush Underground Station (http://underground-history.co.uk/bullbush.php)

NutLoose
19th Dec 2013, 11:39
Any decent ice cream establishments?

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2013, 11:43
More likely there's a top secret 24SAS mission brewing - the guys will be being briefed in the extensive secret bunker complex that's under the Heath.

You did know there's a bunker there didn't you?

They're probably related to the Wombles, of Wimbledon Common. Attending a briefing for Christmas litter picking, perhaps? ;)

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 11:45
Is there a good pub in the area?

Strangely yes. and its only five minutes away at the double.

The Garden Gate in Hampstead - Home (http://www.thegardengatehampstead.co.uk/)

I will have to go up there now and see if its full of pongos.

whitebait1
19th Dec 2013, 11:47
They almost landed at the Royal Artillery TA field near Liverpool St. Approached, hovered, came down to maybe 50 ft, wheels still up then went straight back up and buggered off. That was at 10.45ish.

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 11:51
Seems very strange to do that when they have all of Salisbury Plain to do that sort of stuff. It took off with the ramp open so I assume someone got out.

airborne_artist
19th Dec 2013, 11:52
whitebait1 They almost landed at the Royal Artillery TA field near Liverpool St. Approached, hovered, came down to maybe 50 ft, wheels still up then went straight back up and buggered off. That was at 10.45ish.

You mean the Henries and Carolines? The HAC would be horrified at being call RA TA :}

whitebait1
19th Dec 2013, 11:58
Ha, couldn't begin to say! I'm just a civvy working in an adjacent building who happens to take an interest in stuff that flies :)

Always nice to see wokkas stopping by there, along with the occasional Merlin, Lynx, Seaking and Puma... Definitely adds a bit of excitement to my day.

Bclass
19th Dec 2013, 12:24
Must have been the same Merlin circling above the Thames by Blackfriars Bridge at about 12:45. Can’t imagine it was anything to do with a high profile verdict at the nearby Old Bailey.

Hmmmm, what’s that knock on the door….

MG
19th Dec 2013, 12:58
Seems very strange to do that when they have all of Salisbury Plain to do that sort of stuff. It took off with the ramp open so I assume someone got out.
Choice between flogging around SPTA (albeit at a good height) and flying down the London Helilanes, I'll take the latter any day.

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2013, 13:11
They almost landed at the Royal Artillery TA field near Liverpool St. Approached, hovered, came down to maybe 50 ft, wheels still up then went straight back up and buggered off. That was at 10.45ish.

They were probably embarrassed at having forgotten to put the landing gear down. They obviously cleared off quick, hoping no-one had seen it.

sitigeltfel
19th Dec 2013, 13:31
Hampstead Heath (http://pinkuk.com/venues/377/gay-cruising/london/hampstead-heath)

:hmm:

BEagle
19th Dec 2013, 13:36
sitigeltfel, I was amused to read in your link:

The main entrance onto the Gay West Heath is from behind.....

:ooh:

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 14:17
My house looks over Parliament Hill fields all of that stuff happens on the other side of the hill. The air ambulance lands behind my house most days. But the appearance of a merlin touching down without the mandatory fire engine present struck me as being odd.

airborne_artist
19th Dec 2013, 14:34
My best guess is that it was a compassionate flight.

Tourist
19th Dec 2013, 15:17
Hmmm.

Freak show.
Hampstead Heath.

Why does my mind suspect dogging/cottaging?

skua
19th Dec 2013, 15:50
Whitebait
If you worked eves/nights you would see even more interesting stuff.....!

whitebait1
19th Dec 2013, 15:53
Go on... Worked a few evenings here but usually do my utmost to bugger off home as close to 5pm as possible. ;)

TheWizard
19th Dec 2013, 18:38
Hmmm.

Hampstead Heath.

Because you are in the Navy??

Wander00
19th Dec 2013, 18:51
WB - given the Heath's reputation, that turn of phrase could be seen as "unfortunate"!

Navaleye
19th Dec 2013, 21:31
Perhaps I should rephrase my question. It landed on parliament hill fields just behind my house. The gay thing happens about a mile away. It did a touch and go and left before I could run downstairs, grab my camera and take a pic. Very impressive and hats off to the aircrew if they are reading this. Normally I ignore the air ambulance but this was different.

Its a big beast but very agile. Clearly flown very well. BZ.

cokecan
20th Dec 2013, 08:44
'touch and go' 'hampstead heath'...

snigger...

NutLoose
20th Dec 2013, 08:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/530247-green-merlin-lands-hampstead-heath-12-25-a-post8215970.html#post8215970)
Hmmm.

Hampstead Heath.

Because you are in the Navy??

He does seem well up on what I assume is all the correct terminology.... :}

Tourist
20th Dec 2013, 11:22
I was young, I needed the money......

Navaleye
20th Dec 2013, 21:43
Well I do not know who got out, but someone did because i watched it and he/she was not in the my local. If it was an army type he would be barred from everywhere anyway, most good pubs in Hampstead only tolerate naval officers. As for the RAF they have to go to Kilburn or Hillingdon and places like that. I think there are bye-laws about them congregating in civilised areas.

Merry Christmas everyone here is something fun. I wish you a Happy new year and many more to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hw0EwWKQRY

whitebait1
20th Dec 2013, 22:02
Well consider me duly chastised, I'll try to refrain from dropping the b word. I did enjoy briefly spotting the merlin again today. Still interested in what goes on at night on Bunhill fields though!