PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP, endorsement and Piper Cheyenne II

flyer06
19th Dec 2013, 11:16
Hi all,

I'm a French pilot with JAA licences CPL/IR/ME and C525 type rating. I hold 2150 flight hours (1350 jet, 700 as captain).

I'm planing to get a FAA ATPL + endorsements (high performance aircraft, complex aircraft and high altitude), in order to fly a Cheyenne II in north Africa and Europ, registered in the US;
As I don't hav any experience on Piper Cheyenne, nor on any turboprop, I'de like to have part of this trainings on the Cheyenne.

Most of FAA ATP skills training and test are on light twins (like DA42).
I'm seeking a training organization who can provide part or the whole training on Cheyenne II. Minimum is the endorsement trainings (high perf and high altitude). The whole training on Cheyenne II would be perfect.

Do you know about any training center in the US who can provide this trainings based on Cheyenne II?

Thank you for your help,

Olivier

MarkerInbound
19th Dec 2013, 17:47
Simcom does Cheyenne training. I know nothing about them, if people are happy with the training or what it costs.

His dudeness
20th Dec 2013, 18:14
What MarkerInbound says:

ORLANDO, FL, AUGUST 17, 2011 —SIMCOM Training Centers is announcing the acquisition of 14 simulators and training programs from FlightSafety International. With the addition of this equipment, SIMCOM will operate a total of 59 simulators in five training center locations in the United States. The list of devices SIMCOM acquired includes a King Air B200, King Air C90B, Cessna Conquest I, Cessna Conquest II, Piper Cheyenne III, Piper Cheyenne I/II, Turboprop Twin Commander 1000, Turboprop Twin Commander 690A, Cessna 421C, Beech Baron 58, Piper Navajo, Cessna 300/400 and Saab 2000. The simulators range in sophistication from advanced flight training devices for the piston-powered models to full-motion simulators for the turbopro

The King Air 90, 200, Cheyenne I/II, Navajo, Beech Baron 58 and Saab 2000 simulators and training programs will be positioned in the Company's Orlando, FL training centers.

SIMCOM Expands with Acquisition from FlightSafety International | SIMCOM Training Centers (http://www.simulator.com/about/press-center/news/487-simcom-expands-with-acquisition-from-flightsafety-international)

jetopa
20th Dec 2013, 23:02
The Cheyenne II is a good but demanding airplane. You should get sim and as much real aircraft training by somebody should knows the bird. I. Inhe old days, FSI in Lakeland, FL was the place to go.

Ask around and you'll find the right choice.

Good luck, stay safe and enjoy!

Jetopa

gaunty
24th Dec 2013, 05:27
flyer

My earnest advice would be to consider 2 facts about this type.

Go here, read and absorb.

The weight - and the balance - Air Facts Journal (http://airfactsjournal.com/2013/05/the-weight-and-the-balance/)

The UK CAA when asked to certify the aircraft for their register refused to do so after some flight testing and in fact queried the original certification data, what followed is not for here but would make the plot of a ripping yarn.

IMHO the US certification should have been revoked, but that has never happened.

My guess is that whatever work the aircraft has been tasked for has been won on the basis the the aircraft can purchased for very little as a result of the aforementioned issues. Cheap as. I hope you are not the bunny "dying" for the job.

Be very careful and if you do persist a U/S SAS is a NO GO, period. If it goes U/S in flight then you will have a very interesting flight with hopefully an alive but very chastened young pilot at the end.

His dudeness
24th Dec 2013, 13:32
With enough ballast (and a REAL W&B sheet) in the nose there is no problem IMHO.

Having said that, the II - again IMO - is a handful on a G/A or worse, a SE G/A.

There was an accident at EDNY involving a swiss reg II a few years ago, said airplane crashed inverted on the airfield. My private theory is that the pwr levers where advanced quickly when realizing a slow speed situation and then one side 'bit' faster than the other. Low speed(high AOA) and high power is when the II gets nasty. (there is a torque restriction SE with SAS off/ u/s)

The airframe is basically the pressurized Navajo that sported some 350 horses (IIRC) and the II has 628 per side....it also needs the tiptanks for stability, as they found out when they flew the 1 without...

When you get to know the airplane its a delight to fly, like a sports car, just don´t push it close to the envelopes boundaries.

I have a few hours in it and compared to a B200 its way more demanding.
A close relative of mine flew the first II in Europe in 1974 and stayed on the type til 1990 - there were tears involved when being 'forced' to fly the B200 instead of the II....

gaunty
29th Dec 2013, 11:39
So why? :hmm:

My staff are forbidden to even sit in one.

God save us from hairy chested pilots. :{