PDA

View Full Version : CAS Christmas Message

Lima Juliet
18th Dec 2013, 21:44
Just watched this and good on you 'Pulley' :ok:

Christmas Message from Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford - YouTube (http://youtu.be/ywaZvsnJzss)

PS. Nice to see TG8 included in the video who are feeling the heat a bit more than usual! :ok:

snaggletooth
18th Dec 2013, 21:59
Nice to see the RAF SAR Force featured... No, sorry, blinked and missed it.

The B Word
18th Dec 2013, 22:13
I'm liking this as well. Happy Chrimbo, everyone!

Martin Clunes recites "Percy Prune's Christmas", an RAF Flight Safety poem. - YouTube

PS. And SAR gets a mention! :ugh:

SOSL
18th Dec 2013, 22:48
Tremendous photography, wonderful real performance by the boys and girls, they are just the best!

Right now the RAF is engaged in so many commitments and challenged with so many cuts.

It must be so difficult but what a fantastic job they're doing.

Rgds SOS

Dick Allen
19th Dec 2013, 07:09
Glad you liked it B Word! ;)

And a Merry Christmas to all!!

Onceapilot
19th Dec 2013, 07:09
Don't worry! CDS is getting the message:
quote BBC story:
"Gen Houghton took over in the late summer, at a time when the effects of the 8% cuts to the defence budget started having a clear impact on armed forces' morale and what the UK could offer its allies on the international stage."

Too late. 20years too late!

Merry Christmas to all who serve or have served.

OAP

Al R
19th Dec 2013, 07:13
I wonder, as they ruminated and examined their navels, buffed the copy and refined the delivery, if either of them considered including a suitably pitched crumb or two of consolation for the military widows and widowers now officially condemned to choosing between picking up the pieces emotionally or financially.

Wander00
19th Dec 2013, 08:22
And only 584 people have watched it - not getting too much interest, even on PPrune.

Stuff
19th Dec 2013, 08:26
Al R while I sympathise with those left behind when the worst happens, is the Christmas message - directed at those currently serving - really the best vehicle for that?

Al R
19th Dec 2013, 09:24
In an ideal world, you're correct, it probably isn't. But the message will refer to being apart from loved ones at Xmas, so if Christmas isn't the time to remind those loved ones that in the event of their death, their loved ones are going to be disadvantaged if they decide to remarry or cohabit even, then I don't know what time is.

Are we really saying that at Xmas, a time of compassion and reaching out, and all that other corporate guff we hold so dear, that the wife is not only going to be out of the Quarter after 'x' months, but if she has the temerity to meet someone new, she loses her pension? These are (usually) ladies who follow their husbands around and who fail to build up pension entitlements of their own don't forget. Who is going to look after them?

If Christmas isn't the time to reflect, I don't know when is.

Blue Bottle
19th Dec 2013, 09:53
Al,

That info is out there for the public, cant see that the CAS christmas message to his troops would add much value to that argument.

Ministers refuse to change rules meaning military widows lose retirement pot if they remarry | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526252/Forced-choose-love-pensions-Ministers-refuse-change-rules-means-military-widows-lose-retirement-pot-remarry.html)

Al R
19th Dec 2013, 10:07
In hindsight you're right of course you are, both of you, I saw red I suppose. It makes me so angry, it's one of the few gross injustices that can be remedied, quite cheaply, yet it isn't.

Wander00
19th Dec 2013, 10:32
This constraint on widows and widowers is immoral and obscene and should be remedied.

cuefaye
19th Dec 2013, 11:52
Who is Pulley's tailor - two sizes too large.

MG
19th Dec 2013, 13:01
I was actually quite gratified to see that his jumper is the same 'gaping at the neck' size as mine.

ShyTorque
19th Dec 2013, 13:21
Jumper still a bit too big, eh? He's actually filled out a bit since we last met, he used to be known as "Pullthrough" for good reason. ;)

Anyway, well done Andy, from an old 'un of the same era.

Stitchbitch
19th Dec 2013, 15:48
Nice to see the FAF Mirage flight in some Entente Cordiale action :ok:

JTIDS
19th Dec 2013, 16:33
Interesting... I could be wrong but its almost as though he was trying to boost one specific squadrons morale.

Guernsey Girl II
19th Dec 2013, 22:17
JTIDS
You can't mean V(AC) can you?
Time was you would always get lots of Sentinel pics in this sort of thing.

Uncle Ginsters
20th Dec 2013, 14:31
I could be wrong but its almost as though he was trying to boost one specific squadrons morale.

If he is, whichever Sqn you're talking about, it's a fairly obscure way of going about it.

Just about everyone's feeling the pressure now and, heading into one of the busiest years (if forecasts are true) on record, it's only set to get harder. The only things that can boost morale now are real-terms improvements that actually (not just spin) improve the daily lives of those providing that output. It'll be interesting to see who's left in 12-18months time!

Two's in
20th Dec 2013, 15:07
You know, sometimes the Christmas Message is just the Christmas Message. Far better to take a well deserved pat on the back for a job well done during a particularly hard year than try to imagine all the perceived slights and insults between the lines...

VinRouge
20th Dec 2013, 15:15
If he is, whichever Sqn you're talking about, it's a fairly obscure way of going about it.

The story of the Goose that laid the golden egg springs to mind.

gr4techie
20th Dec 2013, 15:40
Far better to take a well deserved pat on the back for a job well done during a particularly hard year

What pat on the back is that? After mentioning our hard work, did he say he's going to get us a payrise (inline with inflation)?