PDA

View Full Version : Private flying around Geneva, Switzerland

cattardbezzina
18th Dec 2013, 17:32
Hi all,

I was hoping someone has some insight into SEP aircraft hire (with an instructor) in the region around Geneva, Switzerland.. in particular, details of any flight schools/aeroclubs. I will be there between Jan-Apr 2014 and would love to get a few hours in the air on my weekends off, weather permitting! Perhaps also try to experience some mountain flying. France is also an option since Geneva is just by the border (from the little bit I've researched online, it also seems to be significantly cheaper compared to Switzerland!). Gliding is also something I would love to try out at least once!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Claude
JAA UK PPL (SEP land)

stickandrudderman
18th Dec 2013, 18:43
I have done some mountain flying from Bex and can recommend an excellent instructor there. PM me for details.

Zulu Mike
18th Dec 2013, 20:07
This may be of help unfortunately all in French. Club Aeronautique Annemasse (http://www.caa.asso.fr/) Annemasse 8 miles form Geneva on the banks of the lake. Flown in a couple of times great airfield and very helpful
:ok:

18th Dec 2013, 21:13
I am aware that there are places to fly from near Nyon, Lausanne, Annemasse and Annecy.

As a frustrated student who did 5 hours in UK including take offs and landings if the good lady will allow it I will be looking to take it up again. There is also the Geneva aero club but I think it's about 230chf an hour for a tecnam.

If you have access to a car i would suggest the French airports as they will be a little cheaper.

cattardbezzina
22nd Dec 2013, 20:08
@stickandrudderman: thanks for the suggestion. I had sent you an email through this forum, not sure if you have received it. if not i'll sent it again.

@421, Zulu Mike: the Club at Annemasse looks very interesting. Seems reasonably easy to get there by public transport from Geneva (I won't be driving). The Robin DR400 120 would be ideal for a few circuits and maybe nav to nearby airfields. Seems like they use the Jodel Mousquetaire for mountain flying too which is great. How is the R/T there? Do they speak English over the radios?

Thanks for the tips!

stickandrudderman
22nd Dec 2013, 22:53
message now received and acknowledged.
See here:
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/315871-fate-luck.html

As an epilogue to that story, some years later GP had an unfortunate "episode". A student didn't apply full power after touch-down and the aircraft came to a stop on a steep up-slope. The two occupants jumped out and tried to prevent the aircraft sliding backwards to oblivion but couldn't stop it. Luckily the aircraft only slid 100m or so and came to a stop after suffering a little damage to one wing. The convention at this point is to call up the heli rescue team and they come and lift the stricken aircraft off the mountain. Unfortunately the heli pilot was a budding maverick and flew in too fast and too low, blowing the unfortunate Supercub off the side of the mountain and on to complete destruction.

cattardbezzina
23rd Dec 2013, 06:35
Oh... just read your original post, and then read about the accident... how unfortunate is that! Is he back in the air with another aircraft now?

stickandrudderman
23rd Dec 2013, 06:47
Yes!:ok::ok::ok::ok: