PDA

View Full Version : ETS EU Madness .. any update ?

PorcoRosso
18th Dec 2013, 11:17
Hello all

I am in charge of a medium Bizjet based in Europe
We don't fly much , therefore don't emit much
I am in discussion with the greek office in charge of monitoring our emission.
Before applying, signing, paying anything to those guys, I would like to know what is the situation now ?
I have heard some ops decided not to bother with that crap, and "wait and see" what will happen
What kind of penalties / prosecution for those who decide to ignore the madness ?
Regards

Sop_Monkey
18th Dec 2013, 11:38
Anything that comes out of the EU is madness. Wait for more madness.

Yogibaboo
18th Dec 2013, 20:48
ETS exemption for private aircraft

The European Commission has listened to representations from IAOPA and other aviation bodies and is introducing an exemption for small non-commercial operators of aircraft over 5.7 tonnes from emissions payments. IAOPA has been able to quantify and document the fact that the cost of administration and external audits will by far exceed the actual CO2 payment for many small private operators. Yet in the existing regulation only small commercial operators were exempt.
Jacob Pedersen of AOPA Denmark reports that this has now been resolved with an exemption for non-commercial operators emitting less than 1,000 tons, and simplified procedures for those emitting less than 25,000 tons. The Commission now says that: “no enforcement shall be taken against non-commercial aircraft operators in respect of emissions from small aircraft operators emitting less than 1000 tonnes CO2 per annum. This is expected to reduce the number of aircraft operators regulated by member states by around 2,200 representing 0.2% of emissions. Alongside other measures being taken to simplify administration for small aircraft operators, this is a significant lightening of administrative tasks for aircraft operators and for member states’ competent authorities, in line with the EU’s better regulation agenda.
“As of 2013 small emitters emitting less than 25,000t – whether commercial or non-commercial – can use simplified procedures.” This involves estimating rather than auditing emissions.
The concession is particularly important because under ETS legislation, only those with an AOC were able to engage in emissions trading.

Booglebox
19th Dec 2013, 00:26
Seems to me that the cost and hassle incurred by following the rules is significantly more than not following the rules, especially when the rules are so volatile.

Opsbeatch
19th Dec 2013, 10:12
Yogi, it was voted in then? I can't find the results anywhere of the vote.
This does make it more simple, however, how do the operators that use under 1000 tons monitor it...and get it verified? This will still cost money.

OB

PorcoRosso
19th Dec 2013, 13:57
Hello guys

Thanks for the input .

I have already read about that exemption rule/project , but could not find yet a publication about the vote.
For sure , we are falling in the low emitters . Our medium size jet having flown less than 50 Hours those last 18 months (I estimated we have burned a maximum of 60 tons of Jet A1 .. )
Right now, I am dealing with the greek office, which seems to be only able to copy and paste extended regulations books, rather than giving a straightforward answerss to my straightforward questions .

Thanks for your help

Opsbeatch
19th Dec 2013, 18:02
Porco, any particular reason you are using the Greek office?

OB

noneya
20th Dec 2013, 11:27
They are randomly assigned, he has no choice!

Ours is France, so lucky we are! :ugh:

J

Kak Klaxon
20th Dec 2013, 12:26
I don't know if this link works but this is the UK list of fines.....

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/EU_ETS_Aviation_Civil_Penalties_Guidance.pdf

http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802554eb38a24458b98ff72d550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/geho0112bukt-e-e.pdf

HyFlyer
23rd Dec 2013, 12:29
Maybe if we all close our eyes at the same time and make a wish....it will all go away......
;)

His dudeness
24th Dec 2013, 13:33
Maybe if we all close our eyes at the same time and make a wish....it will all go away.....

Worth a try !

PorcoRosso
30th Dec 2013, 08:52
HyFlyer Maybe if we all close our eyes at the same time and make a wish....it will all go away......

You mean : All the EU mess , or only the ETS ;) ?

closed my eyes .... made a wish .... eyes opened ... sighh