PDA

View Full Version : ALT for EK travel

apron
17th Dec 2013, 06:26
Hi guys,
without trawling through a manual that gets changed as often as it does, for an ALT are we guaranteed not to be offloaded? I understand a cat c can get bumped but your confirmed on a sector with an ALT and checked in it that it?

Also can you, after 3 years, fly into one destination and out of another within the same zone??

Many thanks
A

Wizofoz
17th Dec 2013, 07:13
It's a firm space ticket, but staff are still at the head of the off-load queue for things like weight restrictions and aircraft substitutions.

It DOES happen- they will not leave a full fare pax behind to accommodate an ALT, so places like IAH were weight is critical can be a worry.

Pretty sure the answer to the second question is yes- though I'd need confirmation.

fatbus
17th Dec 2013, 07:19
Question 2 is no, but there have been some exceptions( state you case)

jumbo1
17th Dec 2013, 08:30
Apron,
I have on a number of occasions split arrival and destination within a zone with no problem.
I have done Arrival Milan, Depart Paris, Arrival Jakarta, Depart Sing, Arrival LAX, Depart Toronto.
Good Luck
J

Dropp the Pilot
17th Dec 2013, 08:32
Question 1 - Within our household there have been 140 annual leave sectors flown, never even a hint of being bumped and without exception always upgraded per entitlement.

Question 2 - It has been our practice for the last five years to fly into one
ALT destination and out of another. The request has always been actioned without a quibble but on one occasion (shock horror) I think we were charged 75 dirhams each for some administration.

White Knight
17th Dec 2013, 08:57
No Wiz. You will NOT get bumped off ALT. It's very Firm.......

The annual firm passage is a UAE legal requirement... End of discussion:=

what_goes_up
17th Dec 2013, 09:18

The annual firm passage is a UAE legal requirement... End of discussion:=Witnessed it once happening.. Capt got bumped off. Not even load restriction but extra paying pax showing up... So it can happen...

White Knight
17th Dec 2013, 09:33
Quote:

The annual firm passage is a UAE legal requirement... End of discussion
Witnessed it once happening.. Capt got bumped off. Not even load restriction but extra paying pax showing up... So it can happen...

Unlikely if it was a real ALT. And only if said captain had no spine! Just know your entitlement.
I (and my wife) just came back to DXB on a heavily overbooked flight on ALT. No problems. First class and on whilst many commercial pax were rerouted through other stations.

Some of you lot need to grow a pair heh?😥😥😪

what_goes_up
17th Dec 2013, 10:18
Travel Manual... 4.4 Passengers holding ALT who are offloaded/denied boarding are to be treated in a similar way to commercial passengers for hotel accommodation / refreshments / re-ticketing / re-booking.
I don't know about priority but yes, you can be offloaded...

Flight Ops Weekly Update July 2012:

Staff Travel [Fleet Management]

Staff travel is a privilege which we all enjoy and which we need to both respect and protect. Both we, and our dependants travelling on our concessions, need to understand the rules that apply.

Most of it is common sense. The most basic rule is that, whatever category or class our ticket, fare paying passengers take priority. We are required to give up our seats for commercial passengers and this can happen at any stage from check-in onwards. Once on board, if we are requested to give up our allocated seats for commercial passengers then this is what is expected, even if it results in being downgraded to a lower cabin. ALT and some other tickets are treated as commercial passengers but if a flight is overbooked, to avoid offloading paying customers, staff may be asked to volunteer to be offloaded or consider an alternative route.

Those staff who have access to First or Business class travel are reminded that class of travel is related to the specific conditions of their own employment and an allocated seat in First or Business class is not transferable to another employee or relative whose entitlement differs from their own. In addition, transit between cabins is not allowed and to avoid disruption to commercial passengers, you may not invite anyone to visit you if they are not eligible and ticketed in that class or higher.

Please review the Staff Travel Manual:

Jolly Foreigner
17th Dec 2013, 10:18
I believe that should you face being bumped off at your outstation when returning to DXB, EK have to provide accommodation at the outstation.

Anyone else care to comment?

what_goes_up
17th Dec 2013, 10:25
Yes, they need to provide same service as for full fare pax.

Wizofoz
17th Dec 2013, 10:58
WK,

It's as I stated. If the seats aren't there, do you think they'll bump a full-fare "J" pax before you?

White Knight
17th Dec 2013, 11:10
It's simple. You are NOT subject to staff travel on ALT. It's not a hard concept to understand! You ARE that firm J class upgradeable F. Can't see why you guys don't get it😮😮😮😮

White Knight
17th Dec 2013, 11:16
staff may be asked to volunteer to be offloaded or consider an alternative route.

May...... May be asked! When you do your upgrade you learn that EK is big on may, should, must etc! Your ALT is FIRM. FFS I can't see why some of you are so damn thick😪😪😪😪😪😪

White Knight
17th Dec 2013, 11:19
Ok at What goes Up. I think we're alluding to the same thing but in a different way👍 My 'net connection is so damn slow in this crew hotel! Damn!

checcker10
17th Dec 2013, 20:10
WK is right. They can ASK you but cannot force you. If it's over booked and you show up late you might not get on same as commercial pax.
Wizo..... If you're there first they can't bump you for norm pax! They'll certainly try but know your rights....

camber
18th Dec 2013, 12:32
Staff travel is a very fragile thing. I checked in on ALT, DXB to MEL, just as the Icelandic volcano started to become annoying. Check in staff said my ticket had been cancelled! Just like that. No recourse for denied boarding, and everything in the Staff Travel Manual on entitlements was revoked. Admittedly, an unusual event, but very expensive for me while I had to pay full fare on another airline to get home.

max AB
20th Dec 2013, 04:33
Got bumped on an ALT with two kids several years ago out of DXB and rebooked on the next day, flight over sold and commercial pax bumped also. I asked what was the compensation, got return firm tickets for the three of us valid for a year and an offer of accommodation. After getting home realised I could not get a refund on the domestic connection we would miss at destination so rang EK ticketing and they rebooked and paid for the connection for the following day. On an ALT you are a commercial pax and therefor covered under the standard IATA protections.

go46ball
20th Dec 2013, 08:25
Wife checked in last night with 3 kids going to DFW. Agent asked if we would like to wait a day and leave tomorrow, the flight is oversold and asking for 20 Volunteers. So we told her they have connecting flights once in DFW. So I asked if they would pay for the re-booking fee on the connecting flight. Agent very politely said they would have no problem getting on. Wasn't a problem at all and the agent could not have been more polite.