PDA

View Full Version : PLB Battery Replacement

prop-wash
15th Dec 2013, 00:43
I have a Kannad XS3 406 PLB which requires battery replacement in February. Does anyone have any experience with the cost and ability to get the battery changed or is it just as cheap and easy to appropriately dispose of the unit and purchase something new? I have seen an ACR 406+ PLB advertised for $398.

T28D
15th Dec 2013, 02:39
RFD Survitec are agents for Kannad

Aussie Bob
15th Dec 2013, 05:33
It is a sad reflection on our society wnen we just chuck something away because it needs a new battery.

prop-wash
15th Dec 2013, 07:09
T28D, thanks for the heads up I will see what they can do.

Aussie Bob, I certainly would rather have the battery replaced, but it's not necessarily as easy as that, or cost appropriate. I would hope that Battery World who accept PLB's not only make it safe as far as accidental activation goes, but get it to the right people for recycling rather than landfill.

Aussie Bob
15th Dec 2013, 08:30
This is the whole problem PW, sorry, I wasn't referring to you, rather the product, it seems more and more that the end of the battery life can mean the end of the product. Cordless drills, Kindle readers, tablet PC's even Ipads.

al_oakos
27th May 2014, 06:55
Service manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.kannad.com/upload/File/CD%20Maritime/Anglais/Maintenance/DOC08048A%20(Maintenance%20manual%20Kannad%20XS-3%20GPS).pdf

I am also frustrated because I have 30 of them with expired batteries....

Old Akro
29th May 2014, 02:39
My GME MT410 needs a new battery in a month or so. I just rang GME to find out about replacing the battery.

It has to be sent to Sydney. The Lithium battery means it is a dangerous good and can't be set in an Aussie Post express bag. The battery replacement cost is $294.50. The warranty is not renewed. It comes back with expired warranty still.

Have a look at ebay and you'll buy a new unit cheaper! How does that work??

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th May 2014, 03:21
Prompted by Mr CMcK's response, I have just this minute rung GME.....and the story is....

As at 1 June 2014, the price will be 'upped' to $279 (From $159) to 'Trade in' the old and get a new unit with a fresh battery and a 'life' of another 6 years or so....

My MT410G, purchased Nov 2012, is 'good' until Feb 2020, according to the advice printed on the unit.
7 and a half years is reasonable value, I would suggest.

I asked what happens to the 'old' ones - like - do they eventually get 'refurbished'?
The response was that currently, they simply 'hammer' the chip, and toss them in 'the bin'.
Although I've been told its a 'sealed unit', it does seem to be a 'waste'..??

An 'initial' new unit is around the $349 mark, according to GME...

STILL a very cheap 'insurance'...like WHEN Ya Needs one, YA really NEEDS one!!

Cheers:ok:

Jetjr
29th May 2014, 05:44
GME used to replace batteries for free if you had activated it for real was the rumour