PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Aviation Safety "Spotlight" magazine

Centaurus
14th Dec 2013, 12:06
As a former member of the RAAF Directorate of Flight Safety (DFS) decades back, our office published a flight safety magazine called "Spotlight." It was not a flashy publication. There were no colours, occasional photos of accidents and cheap to produce and effective. It was full of accident and incident reports from RAAF, USAF and RAF sources. At the time there was only six RAAF staff at DFS which was in Canberra

"Spotlight" was very popular among airmen and ground staff alike and copies could always be found in crew rooms at each RAAF base. I don't recall any in waste paper bins in the squadrons I served with. At the same time, the Royal Air Force produced a flight safety magazine, "Air Clues" which founds its way to Australia and widely distributed among RAAF bases. Air Clues became collector's items over the years - rather like Aviation Safety Digest by Mac Job, in Australia. The attraction to pilots of ASD, the early RAAF Spotlight and Air Clues magazines lay in their interesting and easy to read layout.

In Pprune over the past few years, there have been numerous posts about the excellent reading available in the old DCA "Aviation Safety Digest" flight safety magazine. in contrast, its replacement "Flight Safety Australia," has come under criticism by its readers for too much advertising and general too flashy layout and not much in the way of accidents to get one's teeth into.

Reading the latest (December 2013) Australian Defence Force "Aviation Safety Spotlight," magazine, I was disappointed to see the magazine is in the hands of over-enthusiastic graphic designers with page after page wasted with huge headlines and images taking up nearly 80 percent of pages. But it was the American corporate speak with its weasel words that struck me.

If you don't know what I mean, go to the library and read "Death Sentence -The decay of Public language" by Don Watson. He attacks corporate speak that makes no sense to outsiders, and confounds even those who use it - it is a dead language; devoid of lyric or comic possibility, incapable of emotion, complexity or nuance. His words, not mine.

For example on page 32 of "Spotlight', there are promos for flight safety courses with the heading "Safety Culture Program 2014" adapted from the "very effective and validated United States Naval Safety Center Program. It claims the Safety Culture Workshop "enhances safety performance through operational excellence; built on a foundation of trust, integrity and leadership, created and sustained through effective communications. It is a discrete, frank and independent look in the
`organisational mirror` to see whether the reflection matches the perceived /desired reality" Huh?:sad:

Wait- there is more of this stuff. For instance, page 30 has another promo called "Empowered Accountability and Error Control" and lists two half-day sessions looking at: "Insights into life-changing errors, the role of personal accountability in the world of system safety, the mind body link: the physiology and psychology of human performance, mechanisms to counter Blue Threat error-producing conditions and countermeasures., discipline and compliance: the cornerstone of professionalism"

Or you can attend another course also on page 30 called "Going Pro - The Deliberate Practice of Professionalism" in which you will learn about the "Going Pro Quickstart Toolkit" that defines "the domains and standards of professionalism, raises the level of awareness across all six domains of Level 111 professionalism, set an initial benchmark against which to measure continuous improvement, develop and implement a personalised continuous improvement process" Then you will be pleased to know that all this stuff is "ideally delivered post completion of the empowered accountability and error control workshop and based upon contemporary work of Dr Tony Kern"

I wonder how many Defence Force people who get "Spotlight" glance through it then consign it to the bin like so many civilian pilots do to Flight Safety Australia magazine?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Dec 2013, 12:53
Re "glance through it then consign it to the bin like so many civilian pilots do to Flight Safety Australia magazine? ".....

I can speak only with regard to current 'Flight Safety Aust Mag.'....IMHO....

The 'majority' I would imagine....or those who know enough to recognise the many 'generalisations' and vague 'pilot error' reasons, the lack of 'in depth' / facts - or even the downright 'BS' of reports.....e.g. the infamous 'Whyalla Accident' report....

Pelican's Perch #57:<br>The Whyalla Report — Junk Science? - AVweb Features Article (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182152-1.html?redirected=1)

and the 'Lead oxybromide deposits' - which apparently, NO-ONE else has heard of.....

What are 'we' mere mortals lead to conclude..??

NOT like the 'old days' of the 'believable', Aviation Safety Digest' and its magnificent author who presented the FACTS of the events leading up to, the incident / accident, and the aftermath, in as much technical detail as he could muster, so that 'we' would LEARN......

I 'm afraid that I don't seem to learn too much from the current 'tripe', except how to correct typing errors in these responses.....

As 'someone' recently stated...(Modified)....the fonts are good and the white spaces 'not enuf'..... (In its present form...)

No cheerrrsss:ugh::ugh:

gerry111
14th Dec 2013, 14:08
I'd be rather interested to know what the current readership numbers for 'Flight Safety Australia' magazine are? Particularly, since it is no longer available in printed form. My 84 year old Dad, who has an ARN, sure doesn't. And I can't be bothered either.

Paragraph377
14th Dec 2013, 19:54
Centaurus, excellent post :ok:
The days of good raw, non dressed up, straight to the facts articles are gone I am afraid. The DCA and Mac Job style of penmanship have been replaced by large font, glossy pages, ****ty advertising, wide page edges, bureaucratic philosophical word wankery. The quotes you mentioned in your post were nauseating yet somewhat amusing, and they had the DNA fingerprints of spin doctors, turd polishers and used car salesmen all over them!

As Sunfish would say, to put it another way, its a bit like comparing Ribald to Hustler! No longer do you get the unadulterated warts and all as you see it product, you now get the edited photo shopped mass marketed massaged version.

Capn Rex Havoc
14th Dec 2013, 19:59
Centaurus - Is it available to read online, or is it still only produced in paper?

Shagpile
14th Dec 2013, 20:43
I wonder how many Defence Force people who get "Spotlight" glance through it then consign it to the bin like so many civilian pilots do to Flight Safety Australia magazine?

I don't read it for those reasons above. If I find I need to go back and read a sentence again because it is using generic corporate words I instantly stop reading.

Sadly this corporate gobbledygook has infected most of defence now. Supported ground soldiers are now called 'The Customer'. The daily flying program is the squadron 'battle rhythm'. I could go on, suffice to say it is incredibly easy to win at wank word bingo when listening to most speeches these days.

Arm out the window
14th Dec 2013, 22:21
Spotlight was good when it concentrated less on graphics and more on simple 'crash comic' accident reports and close call 'There I was' type accounts.

I think the blow-by-blow descriptive report where we could follow the development of a bad situation while mentally picturing what we ourselves might do in the same circumstances was the true guts of the publication and what everyone read it for, rather than pages of gumph expounding the latest reworking of some risk management theory: "Mmm, Swiss cheese, bow tie ... what about a Swiss bow tie? Aha!"

That sounds like grumpy old man talk, I know, but ditching 16 pages of that stuff and replacing it with proper crash reports would get me reading it a lot quicker.

Paragraph377
14th Dec 2013, 22:47
Perhaps there could be a concentrated effort to resurrect something like crash comic? Everyone's time is constrained and money is short but perhaps Mac Job, Paul Phelan and Ben Sandilands could work together to put out monthly or quarterly articles, funded by industry somehow, perhaps oversighted by Flight Safety Foundation or some connection like that? I know that would probably be a contractural and legal minefield, but hey CASA do SFA about safety, the industry is sick of the modern worded wankery articles and want concise relevant information laden articles and reports, the way it used to be?

Just a Sunday morning thought while meditating on what used to work very well, and the silly direction we have taken today, and how we got to this point??

Ascend Charlie
15th Dec 2013, 08:29
The RAAF crash comic was great for popping captions into the photos, and word bubbles. Our crew rooms were full of hilarious add-ons that were worth preserving. And the content of the magazine was very worthwhile, though not always applicable to our own aircraft type.

The equine excrement produced today by Flight Safety must give some graphic artist a hard-on, but it doesn't even interest me enough to go past the page heading.:hmm:

Centaurus
15th Dec 2013, 23:41
Just a Sunday morning thought while meditating on what used to work very well, and the silly direction we have taken today, and how we got to this point??

Forgive my copying the words, but funnily enough in today's The Australian newspaper on page 14, there is an article by Chip le Grand entitled "Save Children from Corporate Claptrap."
His 11 year old son comes home from school and Dad asks him how was his day?
"Good" says kid.
"Much happen?"
"Nah."
"What did you get up to after school?"
"Not much."
So what are you studying at the moment?"
"Mission statements...."
"Mission statements?"
"Yeah, you know, company values."

Good grief. My son will this week finish grade 5. He is too young for girls. He is too young for Facebook. And he is way too young for mission statements. So am I, for that matter. When it comes to the semantic sludge that oozes off the home pages of corporate websites, I'd rather be dead than read..
............................................................ ..........................................
I hope the Chief of the Defence Force reads Pprune and sees what people have said about "Spotlight" magazine and order someone to fix the problem quick smart. Maybe even he could issue a Mission Statement to the fixer-upper...:E

Shagpile
16th Dec 2013, 02:40
Ok here are my ideas for mission statement:

1) <Insert something memorable here>
2) Win the god damn war
3) If you can't explain your job in one sentence you probably shouldn't be here.
4)

My favourite is #4

Stikybeke
16th Dec 2013, 04:05
Well maybe I'm out on my own here but sometime ago (I think within the last 12 months or so, possibly a bit longer) I had the opportunity to read a Spotlight magazine where virtually the entire focus of the publication was on "Situational Awareness." I don't know as this is probably "101" stuff to those within todays ADF flying community but I thought it was very well written and highly informative. I know that I apply some of the "must do's" to my current SA and I remember thinking that this should be out for all the flying community's information....

Just my two bobs worth....

Stiky
:ok:

Arm out the window
16th Dec 2013, 08:30
Well you have gone against the flow of the thread Stiky, but fair enough - as long as they have enough good crash reports in amongst the theory I'm happy!

Deaf
16th Dec 2013, 10:14
After MacJob left/MacJob left as a result (too long ago) there was most of an issue devoted to explaining how the idea of an article about safety theory with occasional examples had been PROVEN (ie a PhD drivel) to produce better outcomes than real examples of incidents with what was done wrong.

Didn't consider that people might just chuck the drivel in the bin.

gerry111
16th Dec 2013, 13:30
Meanwhile, the University of South Australia is still offering "Six Sigma Black Belt" business courses. Lots of bull$hit to be learned there...