PDA

View Full Version : RAF Instructional Films 1945 : 1947

CoffmanStarter
13th Dec 2013, 15:39
I thought a few members might find these couple of films of interest ... which have only recently appeared on YouTube. The first one is a bit naive by todays standards but of historical interest in terms of the Service starting to create Flight Safety awareness.

The Royal Air Force 1945 1947 Part 2/6 - No Alibi - YouTube

You'll note that there are quite a few other films from the period that have also been uploaded containing some excellent historic footage ... some of the dialogue is priceless :ok:

Try this one ...

The Royal Air Force 1945/1947 Part 3/6 - Flying With Prudence - YouTube

Best ...

Coff.

MPN11
13th Dec 2013, 16:04
Applause, Sir, and "Well Delved".

I shall savour those later, whilst the OH watches her interminable Soaps on TV :sad:

JP1
13th Dec 2013, 17:12
For Prudence it was not a happy landing in the end...

Patricia Cutts - The Private Life and Times of Patricia Cutts. Patricia Cutts Pictures. (http://www.glamourgirlsofthesilverscreen.com/show/491/)

dmussen
14th Dec 2013, 01:31
GREAT FIND.
Anyone remember some of the stuff from the seventies?
I vaguely recall the following:-
1. RCAF first-aid film about a Dakota prang somewhere in the ice and snow.
We were officer cadets at Henlow. The bit I recall was a rib sticking out of a flying suit surrounded by copious amounts of bubbling blood. I joined several wanabe aircrew outside the little theatre for fresh air and missed the rest of this epic.
2. Javlin crew who just wanted to get home to loved ones after a stint in S.E. Asia. I think they get back to home base after various trials and tribulations.
Things are not looking good in the motion lotion department and when on short finals they are instructed to overshoot the poor old dragmaster suffers a double flame out followed by wonderful sound effects but no vision. Two double concussions as the crew bang out followed a bigger bang.
I think this was referred to at the time as "Carryonitis".

Lancman
14th Dec 2013, 12:01
If I remember correctly the Javelin film was about a delivery flight from the UK to Singapore and it concentrated on all the little problems that ocurred at each staging post that finally resulted in running out of fuel and ejecting at Tengah. The Swiss cheese theory hadn't been developed at that time but it was a good example. Based on an actual happening.
Another good film was based on a Beverley crash at El Adem. It traced the path of a rather sub-standard pilot through the training system and the missed opportunities when he should really have been re-routed into a more suitable RAF career. Sword of Honour graduate from Cranwell.

Wander00
14th Dec 2013, 12:43
RCAF Dakota First Aid film shown at Cranwell and Valley in 60s. Good for a few technicolour yawns

NutLoose
14th Dec 2013, 13:11
There is a rather amusing little anecdote in the newish Flypast about an RN Buccaneer manned by an RAF pilot doing a rush film job for the BBC back to the Uk, (the RAF pilot was the only one qualified at night landings) at the first refuel stop he tries to ask the ground crew a question over the running engines but cannot be heard, so in a moment of sheer brilliance he shuts them down to be heard to ask over the winding down engines, do you have an Air start trolley here?, No was the reply... They then had to fly another Bucc in with a Air start pod fitted to start it.

AtomKraft
14th Dec 2013, 13:21
JP1

How sad. I thought she did very well indeed in those films. I think it struck a note that pilots would respond to.

To the OP, thanks.:ok:

Hipper
14th Dec 2013, 21:33
These come from this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Royal-Air-Force-1945-1947/dp/B000F7M6RS/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__text_y

There's a whole series of these Imperial War Museum produced RAF 'unseen films' both during and after WW2.

dmussen
16th Dec 2013, 04:50
Lancman,
Your memory is better than mine.
I claim spacial disorientation given location. Everything "downunda" works the other way, well most things. Importantly this was food for thought.

Wander00,
In Aus. it's a "chunder" - same result.

Per Ardua Ad Loungebar.

Cheers,
Davey M.

Dan Dare
24th May 2020, 10:56
I just saw Flying with Prudence on Talking Pictures (a great channel for lost treasures) - I loved it so had to resurrect this thread. I highly recommend the flight-safety ethos and patricia Cutts.

The links above no longer work, but the Imperial War Museums have it available in four reels starting here https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060020757

Dan Dare
29th May 2020, 08:44
They're running Flying with Prudence again today on Talking Pictures at 1005-1100.

Talking Pictures TV on Virgin 445, Freesat Channel 306, Freeview Channel 81, Youview Channel 81 or on Sky Channel Number 328.

Tankertrashnav
1st Jun 2020, 11:23
I watched it too. Could a former Pathfinder with a DFC and a DFM really as be as much of a prat as this bloke was? But then, looking at the accident figures at the time, I suppose a lot were, and still willing to take chances that had been necessary in wartime conditions. Some great shots, external and interior, of the Avro York.