PDA

View Full Version : Training question

dareen
12th Dec 2013, 18:51
Hello folks ,

During an initial type rating can you advise how the trainers
put the training flights together.

As I understand it the majority of the course is abnormal and emergency situations.

I have been linking scenarios in my mind i.e eng fire post V1, do eng fire procedure, then single eng approach + landing with a possible single eng go around due to possible runway obstruction.

Do you get multiple emergencies and what are other potential situations to
study and link up to make a full training flight?

Most appreciated.

Dash8driver1312
12th Dec 2013, 21:34
It all depends on the airline, the basic requirements, and what they want to see.

Expect initially basic familiarisation sorties (steep turns, climbs/descents, unusual attitude recovery) before moving on to failures. Engine failure at V1 into single engine approach into single engine go-around is pretty much standard.

Emergency descents, in flight failures, ILS downgrading...

TCAS resolutions, GPWS/EGPWS, pilot incapacitation...

Shout out if I've forgotten something!

envoy
12th Dec 2013, 22:04
The first reply pretty much hit it on the head.

Although every provider will prefer to declare otherwise, it is very much a box ticking exercise because there are time constraints with SIM training, particularly when working toward a type rating initial. There are many events that must be observed/performed and so you will find problems linked together - sometimes alarmingly, and unrealistically - in an effort to 'tick every box'.

I have heard FSI pronounce for many years that 'next year' they will move to scenario-based training with an emphasis on take off to touch down realism. Still waiting...

Notwithstanding the artifice of some of the training scenarios, being able to handle such situations and bring the aircraft in safely - albeit in a world of ones and zeros - is gratifying, and generally worthwhile.

Have fun!

dareen
13th Dec 2013, 19:48
Thanks gents that is VERY helpful. If you can think of multiple events that are often strung together then that would be a great aid in getting me thinking on the right track.

All the best. D :)

500 above
14th Dec 2013, 18:56
Going for the XLS then Dareen finally? Did Ibiza work out?

dareen
14th Dec 2013, 23:32
Hi 500, it was a lower lat (i.e the canaries) , could be managing to do both:)

500 above
15th Dec 2013, 08:05
Great! Good news.