PDA

View Full Version : Rocket attack at Kabul airport - 11 December

4HolerPoler
11th Dec 2013, 20:40
Good to see that the rocket attack on the ISAF compound (north-side) at Kabul airport today (happened mid-morning) didn't affect EK's new schedule in there. Or FD's 3 daily's. Airport was closed for around an hour but don't expect to see anything in the NOTAM's.

Be careful out there.

RETARD_RETARD_RETARD
12th Dec 2013, 13:01
Airport was closed for around an hour but don't expect to see anything in the NOTAM's.

Be careful out there. Eastern SkyJets and GlobalJet still fly into Kabul, Bagram, Bastion and Khandahar. I hope they weren't affected and their crew are safe and well.

Whilst we on this forum may 'trash-talk' a lot about ESJ, it would upset anyone to see their operations or crew affected.

GulfstreamAviator usually breaks all the hot news in the Middle East for us. Gulf, any further updates on this mate?

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Dec 2013, 18:01
Never thought I would be snow closed in Beirut, Amman or Cairo....

Disgusting weather here......

Staying in bed and waiting warm front....

on 11/12/13 wanted to enter that in the Tech Log....

Glf

EladElap
13th Dec 2013, 08:57
Sounds like this one was only a car bomb near one of the Northern gates to the airport, and that nothing actually breached the airport perimeter. Last July's attack was a lot worse as two rockets actually landed within the confines of the airport, and 7 attackers ended up hauled up in a partially constructed apartment complex (as usual). That one resulted in the airport being closed for quite some time.

Expect to see more of this, as more and more responsibility is handed across to the ANA and ANP.

Out of interest, what Alternates are EK using for Kabul? I know I've landed in Dushanbe before with FlyDubai after weather dropped below minimas in Kabul? I'm not too sure that EK would use it though, as it doesn't have much apron space for a A345, additionally Dushanbe not being a regular EK destination. Perhaps Islamabad (with it's also congested ramp)... Not Pesh I'm sure.