PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon - 360 degree panoramic photo of cockpit

ricardian
11th Dec 2013, 07:57
From the Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10508091/Amazing-360-degree-look-inside-Britains-newest-Typhoon-fighter.html)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Dec 2013, 08:32
I bet the "break" pedals are useful.

Lancman
11th Dec 2013, 12:40
"Construction is so sensitive that the jets are placed on floating platforms in the massive assembly hall to counter the movement of tides in the nearby Ribble Estuary."
How does that work then? :confused:

ExRAFRadar
11th Dec 2013, 13:35
That looks an absolute piece of p*ss to fly, have more buttons on my washing machine....

NutLoose
11th Dec 2013, 14:23
I bet the "break" pedals are useful.

Yes indeed, the Rudder and "break" pedals are used to steer it on the ground and also slow it down after landing.... funny do they not do appear to do anything in flight?

I quite like the ejector seat "trigger"

kbrockman
11th Dec 2013, 17:08
"Construction is so sensitive that the jets are placed on floating platforms in the massive assembly hall to counter the movement of tides in the nearby Ribble Estuary."
How does that work then?

Has everything to do with tolerances IIRC, the production process assures that the production platform is completely level, also when the moon changes position and gravity is aligned a little bit different.
All this assures an astounding level of fit and finish even with so many different parts made all over Europe in different factories (Left Wing, Right Wing, Cockpit, ....)
If you ever have the chance to see an EF up close on an Airshow plz do so, afterwards go and have a look at a new Sukhoi or MiG, you'll be amazed on how different things look, the level of quality is worlds apart.

BTW an interesting fact is that the production process was rather revolutionary and new back when first assembly began , a good part of the total EF's development cost was due to the new production technology that needed to be developed from scratch, (mainly by DASA and Bae).
Big was the consternation with the Germans when Bae introduced many of the new production techniques in the new F35 line without asking are paying any kind of royalties.

CoffmanStarter
11th Dec 2013, 17:33
Can someone point me to the G/F Switch, Fuel Cock, Mag Switches and the Starter Toggle please :confused:

NutLoose
11th Dec 2013, 17:42
Has everything to do with tolerances IIRC, the production process assures that the production platform is completely level, also when the moon changes position and gravity is aligned a little bit different.
All this assures an astounding level of fit and finish even with so many different parts made all over Europe in different factories (Left Wing, Right Wing, Cockpit, ....)
If you ever have the chance to see an EF up close on an Airshow plz do so, afterwards go and have a look at a new Sukhoi or MiG, you'll be amazed on how different things look, the level of quality is worlds apart.

So a bit like a Tiger tank and a T34, and we know who came out tops there ;)

Courtney Mil
11th Dec 2013, 17:55
Coff,

The Go Faster swich (there are actually two) can be located on the left side of the cockpit, positioned conveniently beneath the pilot's left hand.

Fuel cocks are largely automatic so don't worry about them.

Heading reference is selectable depending on preference, but you can have Mag if you like it.

Starter is so clever it will make your nose bleed. Open the throttles and it goes.

Cool. :ok:

CoffmanStarter
11th Dec 2013, 17:59
Thanks Courtney old chap ... I missed so much :(

MSOCS
11th Dec 2013, 18:32
That looks an absolute piece of p*ss to fly, have more buttons on my washing machine....

your point being?

Stitchbitch
11th Dec 2013, 21:04
..that his washing machine has more buttons. And typhoon is a piece of Piss to fly. Managing the systems and learning to operate it effectively is the hard part , but then you probably know that. :cool:

Courtney Mil
11th Dec 2013, 21:15
Strangely, when Eurofighter were designing it and we had our PILOT'S cockpit working party, the whole idea was that it would be easy to fly. If a modern aircraft isn't then something has gone very horribly wrong.

TomJoad
11th Dec 2013, 21:52
A question for those who would know! With modern cars, the advances in handling etc is often criticised as isolating the driver from what was the "thrill and enjoyment of driving" I have an old banger (so called classic from 1967) that has no power steering, no assisted braking and suspension which lends itself to the horse and cart. Thing is, it is an absolute joy to drive, maybe it is just the contrast I don't know but it is so refreshing not to feel so isolated from the experience. Is there a similar experience when flying modern aircraft like Typhoon compared to those without computers, digital wizardry etc? Not talking about performance etc just the enjoyment factor - or does the sheer gain in performance and handling rule. Be genuinely interested to know.

Dave Wilson
11th Dec 2013, 22:10
Can't talk about the Typhoon and I only fly old crocks anyway but I'm old enough to have had 'classic' cars when they were new or newish and I wouldn't pay you in washers for one. I treated myself to new Beemer recently and it's quite simply the best saloon car I've ever had, in handling, road holding, economy, you name it. Oh and the performance will knock the socks off any of the old vintage stuff I had. If you want to get involved with it you can, if you want it to waft you effortlessly from A to B at warp speed it will do that as well.

Edit: I know it's a weak comparison but it's top speed is actually faster than the top speed of any of the aircraft I fly being as we're getting shut of our 182.

MSOCS
11th Dec 2013, 23:52
CM,

Pretty much why I was asking what ExRAFRadar's point was.

Dave Wilson
12th Dec 2013, 13:32
Indeed, why make something more difficult than it has to be. I would imagine operating the thing (rather than just flying it) takes up any spare capacity the pilot has.

bakseetblatherer
12th Dec 2013, 17:42
TomJoad, all the guys I know on the Typhoon seem to rather enjoy it! I suppose an analogy would be (old) Hawk and Typhoon, and there is joy in both but the 'phoon comes out on top.

Personally I don't like the jet, no seat for me in the back! :{

goudie
12th Dec 2013, 18:44
Lots of 'don't touch unless you really have to' switches, especially on the left.

Distant Voice
12th Dec 2013, 19:26
Can not see the TCAS.

DV

TomJoad
12th Dec 2013, 22:44
Thanks for your thoughts Dave and backseat. I can see how the sheer performance of the Typhoon would put a smile on your face but always wondered if the older generation of ac somehow gave you a closer connection to, don't really know how to phrase it, maybe the flying experience or enjoyment. Backseat, I can see how you "don't like it no 2nd seat and all that" never mind you got closer than I ever did:ok:

Dave Wilson
12th Dec 2013, 23:00
Can't beat gliding for that 'direct connection' feeling. Get in a good glass ship and you really do forget you're in an aircraft. Wrap round canopy, reclined seating, short throw stick, it's like having your own wings.

Go Pro Gliding 2012 - Ridge Running along the Southdowns and Cross Country flying - YouTube

orca
13th Dec 2013, 12:39
Tom,

Don't over look the fact that some of the more modern aircraft can do things that simply weren't possible by a previous generation, high alpha stuff in particular springs to mind. The pirouette in a F-18 is staggering (and in a Harrier or Sea Jet would be somewhere between impossible and a sure sign of well developed departure).

You might have to take my word for it, but despite the fact that none of the controls are working in the classic direct sense (jet knows what you mean and makes it so using whichever surface it thinks best) you in no way feel detached from it. It's quite a ride!