PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 182K VH-DQR

JetRangerJunkie
9th Dec 2013, 01:42
PPRUNERS..
I'm seeking details relating to this aircraft and it's ultimate fate.
it was imported by REX in 1967 and after a string of owners ended up with a Mr. R. McDonald of Cravens Peak Station , Queensland in July of 1984.
On April 13th 1987 it was landing at Glenormiston Station after a flight from Cravens Peak Station when the nosewheel fork failed and the aircraft overturned.
CASA recorded the accident as "Damaged 240 k/m SSW of Mt. Isa."
The aircraft was recovered to Mt.Isa and repaired. It was restored the the register as a 182K/A2. This is an unusual designation and is the only Cessna 182 on the Australian Register to have been so modified. I have no idea what the modification entails and would be keen to find out more.
At this time aircraft was owned by Mr. M Maekye of Mundubbera who apprently operated it until 13.04.97.when it was again "Damaged near Mt.Isa". (a remarkable coincidence being exactly 10 years to the day after the first accident).
It was subsequently struck off the register on 22.09.97. as "Withdrawn From Use".
What I'm looking for are :
1/. Details of the second accident "Near Mt.Isa".
2/. Details of the "A2" modification.
3/. The ultimate fate of the aircraft.

rioncentu
9th Dec 2013, 05:43
Wasn't this the 182 used for meat bombing around Hedlow/Emu Park/Great Keppel and that ended up bent off the end of the Emu Park Strip? That bending would have had to have been around 8 years ago?

I might be wrong but that rego sounds familiar. Someone else here likely to confirm.

UltimaThule
9th Dec 2013, 06:57
A1 is the designator for agricultural, not sure about A2

gerry111
9th Dec 2013, 09:39
I think that A2 has something to do with milk.. :E

Seagull V
10th Dec 2013, 05:36
I understand that the A number following a manufacturers type number relates to an Australian STC for that aircraft. E.g. Various Aussie Pawnee are shown as A1, which is the Humpy back modified PA25s beloved of Glider Clubs. So maybe VH-DQR has had a major mod. For example it may have been converted to a tail dragger.

rioncentu
10th Dec 2013, 20:30
I think I was wrong. The meat bomber was DQS.