PDA

View Full Version : FTO in Usa for international students

dienadel
8th Dec 2013, 11:09
Hi guys,

I`m brazilian and i currently hold a PPL license acquired in Brazil. I`m considering to proceed to get the next licenses at USA, I`ve got in touch with a few schools out there but i would like to know your personal review/experience about them, and even suggestions of others good FTOs for international students in USA, preferable those which offer F-1 visa and prospects for a position as Flight Instructor after the conclusion of the courses.

1) Phoenix East Aviation, FL - offer F1 VISA
2) Pelican Flight Training, FL - offer F1 VISA
3) Hillsboro Aviation, OR - offer F1 VISA
4) Aerosim Academy, FL
5) Flight Safety Academy, FL
6) Epic Aviation, FL
7) Treasure Coast, FL - possibility to rent the airplane for week long cross country flights during the CPL hour building

Already thankful.

RedBullGaveMeWings
8th Dec 2013, 11:53
Are you sure EPIC Aviation offers F-1 programs?
Also do some investigation with Pelican, it seems as though they don't have F-1 programs anymore.

dienadel
8th Dec 2013, 12:00
No, Epic aviation don`t offer the F-1.
Of the FTOs I`ve contacted so far, only three of them (the first three on the list) replied me positively about the F-1.
And, your feedback is exactly the kind of comments I would like to have, as up to now, i just have the school`s feedback (and everything sounds wonderful). I want to be sure if they really deliver what they promise (like the F-1 at Pelican) through the students point of view.

Thanks for your reply

RedBullGaveMeWings
8th Dec 2013, 12:34
I only know one indivual who studied at PEA and he was happy of his choice.
I keep reading great opinions on Hillsboro Aviation. You'd better off asking on other American forums as well as trying to get in touch with current and past students.

Gomrath
11th Dec 2013, 22:01
prospects for a position as Flight Instructor after the conclusion of the courses

What they may say verbally versus what actually happens can be two different things.
Do not assume that you will be granted OPT at the end of the course. you are not offered a formal position as such - this is purely optional practical training which may or may not materialize and is a maximum of 1 year, during which time you will have to support yourself with no assurances of actually accumulating that many hours.

RedBullGaveMeWings
9th Jan 2014, 22:26
You will be allowed to work only for 12 months if you get in their instructor program. At the end of this period, you must leave.

dienadel
10th Jan 2014, 15:55
Hello fai_saudagar,

First of all, it depends on which visa you`ll be applying.

J-1 visa: valid for two years, and gives you the right get a paid work related to the area of your education. The validity of the visa is considering the training and instructing time, so, the faster you finish you training, the more you`ll have time to instruct.

M-1 visa: usually valid for two years. For every 90 days studying you`ll get the right to work for 30 days, meaning that if your training take a year, you`ll be able to legally work as a instructor for 4 months.

In both cases, there`s no way to be 100% sure that you`ll get the job at the end of your training. The best thing to do is to go to a school that treat you with honesty since your application process. Don`t believe in any school that assure you`ll get the FI position, you better stuck to a FTO that honestly tell you that it depends on your development, your skills and the availability of positions... More likely these schools will be looking at you carefully, and will be willing to give you an opportunity, and not only make an offer at the beginning that they`re not sure they`ll fulfill in the end, just to get your money.

wish you the best, and good luck!

BigGrecian
13th Jan 2014, 12:20
The J-1 hasn't been available for flight training for around 2-3 years now meaning it's only the F-1.

dienadel
13th Jan 2014, 13:20
Thank you BigGrecian, I mistyped.. :ugh:
So guys, where is written J-1, please consider F-1, the rest of the info is correct. :O

Gomrath
26th Jan 2014, 15:26
1) While i'll be in my initial training stage in the first year (PPL+CPL+IR) will i be able to work part time (20 Hrs/week) to cover up my living expenses ?

You cannot work in the US to support yourself whilst training.

Do not consider coming to the US if you know that you need to earn money in order to support yourself. You won't earn any where near enough.
Remember you have to pay your own medical insurance etc and that alone can be costly.

Hitbacker
26th Jan 2014, 19:47
Dinadel,

for your original list - I checked the FL ones out 3 years ago and then went modular (personal reasons - the F1 route would have been greater but much pricier, but I certainly would have many more hours now!!), so it is only my back then impression but based on some pretty thorough research online AND on the ground, talking to random students on the premises. You miss one flight school (aviator.edu) which I would chosen because I felt I would have gotten the biggest bang for the buck. If you are self-motivated and your future students feel that, you shall make some hours and it would be mostly in ME a/c. So - since this is a huge choice I either suggest you travel there to make your own mind up or search this forum and then decide. But don't research too long - I wouldn't have minded clicking question banks and hitting the books earlier ;-). But this forum saved me a lot of money.

Good luck!

chrisbl
26th Jan 2014, 20:19
I went to Hilsboro five years ago, and found them excellent. They did have a big contract to train Shanghai Airline cadets then. They seem to be doing well.

A small point but there is no sales tax in Oregon unlike in other states.