PDA

View Full Version : EK - removal of documents in the simulator Briefing Room….

Kapitanleutnant
8th Dec 2013, 10:42
This is a BAD BAD idea!! I've never NOT used them for a briefing or reference to brief LVO T/O, cold weather ops or windshear. Maybe some other airlines don't have this but the EK operation pretty much dictates their use for our PPC's.

C'mon EK… this is the cost of doing business!

No pubs in the sim Briefing Room…. Seriously???

What else are they gonna do…. take tomatoes out of our salads to save a quarter of a dirham?

Really disappointing to hear this….

K

Mr Good Cat
8th Dec 2013, 11:12
Agree with what you said, but it's easy enough to use your iPad.

Just make sure it's up to date!

EDIT: This assumes you have an Ipad. If not, your FO most certainly will. Send him a menacing email a few days before insisting he makes sure it's up to date. And for good measure tell him the TRE's nickname is 'Chopper', despite the fact the TRE's never been near a helicopter in his life...

hulabaloome2
8th Dec 2013, 12:26
Can anybody clarify for me does this mean no paper charts will be available to us once in the sim, EFB only? Or no paper charts for reference in briefing room but once in sim paper charts in binders are still available alongside EFB?
Thanks

Wizofoz
8th Dec 2013, 12:51
No, it will be 100% EFB in the sim.

The class two isn't terrible for charts (though an iPad would be MUCH better) but as an interface for the other docs, it's terrible.

falconeasydriver
8th Dec 2013, 13:03
So Wiz, how pray tell are we now going to go through SP's for LVO's, or the CCI/AOI info etc etc? (you know, managing our time effectively) is the expectation that this will all be done in the sim whilst we suffer the slings and arrows of an hours worth of whiteboard airmanship?

Wizofoz
8th Dec 2013, 14:46
Good Q Falcon, wasn't my idea!

donpizmeov
8th Dec 2013, 14:56
You fellas need to head on over to the megabus. Its all electronic. All the docs are available on the portal. If you need something just open it from there. Its really not all that hard.

The don

TangoUniform
8th Dec 2013, 17:00
Don,
It would be nice if the T7 had the preferred EFB that other carriers use. Let's see, who owns Jepp. But they built the BUDDA (Big Ugly Double Decker Airbus) with an EFB in mind and not with a remote laptop stuck in a closet. Just another slice of the pie going away. And Ipads, I must have lost the one the company issued to me.

The way the T7 rosters are going, we would all like a chance to fly the BUDDA, LAX now, good JFKs, morning EUs etc. Really am enjoying the O'dark thirty turns to the east. But that's for another thread. :ok:

donpizmeov
8th Dec 2013, 17:17
TU,

Sorry, but I thought they were talking about the paper being removed from the briefing rooms. This is really not an issue.

The on-board EFB issues you guys have is a problem. Its a shame it went the same way as the crew rest.

I hope the flare path I laid for your night turns still burn bright. Its such a glamorous job isn't it?

the Don

Kapitanleutnant
8th Dec 2013, 17:19
Falcon

I was wondering the same and can envision a briefing room that we just sit idly by wasting "briefing" time not being able to brief the SP's.

If that's what they want then we're going to have to increase the sim time to a period of about 5 hours instead of the current 4 so that we can brief everything under the sun including the always possible "in case a meteor hits the airplane here's what we'll do….." scenario.

And again, I have to say… having pubs in the briefing room is simply the cost of doing business when you run a training department!! You have sim's… you have pubs!!! Or give us a Tablet of some sort that is not as "clunky" as that EFB 2. Been waiting' 2 years, EK. Afraid to spend a few dirhams on that one?

K

lospilotos
9th Dec 2013, 07:30
So I assume the "Home" button will always work in the sim then, unlike in the A/C...

JAARule
9th Dec 2013, 08:45
They want you to print your own documents, same as the flight plan, load sheet, report forms, etc. Talk about tight-fisted. I always have a good laugh when the TRE (s39XXXX) asks if I printed it all out.

Still, times are tough these days so maybe give the company a break and help out wherever you can.

CAYNINE
9th Dec 2013, 09:27
"To facilitate pre-simulator briefings and debriefings, LIDO charts may still be viewed
on the portal in the briefing room; alternatively they can be printed for use in the
briefing rooms if required."

Doesn't this mean they can be printed at the training center, or have I read this incorrectly??

FYI, the guys on the big girl haven't used paper charts for years.

three eighty
9th Dec 2013, 09:37
FYI, the guys on the big girl haven't used paper charts for years.
Nor on the little girl.

Wizofoz
9th Dec 2013, 10:15
Yes, but both have usable Class 2 EFBs- not like the "McLaptop" we've been lumbered with.

You know the oxymoron- Mircosoft Works!!!

Payscale
9th Dec 2013, 10:31
Why are some of you so concerned?
DOCS are all available in electronic form, which most people prefere anyway.
The TRE will ask if you have printed it out. When print an additional 70 pages if you already have done it..... Some guys would complain if they were given 1 Million dolars!
:ugh::ugh:

White Knight
9th Dec 2013, 11:42
Some guys would complain if they were given 1 Million dolars!

And that just about sums up the PPRUNE ME Forum...........

I've only ever glanced at the paper stuff in the sim briefing rooms, and rarely, over the years, so IMHO not a loss:ok: I find everything relevant to the session is usually put on the magic screen on the wall...

Mister Warning
9th Dec 2013, 14:37
I remember a big fuss a few years ago at EK because someone (smarter than I) was swapping his FCOM's for the sim set to avoid doing his amendments.
Bravo - just wish I'd thought of it!

Praise Jebus
9th Dec 2013, 15:10
Can't see what the fuss is about.... At home you use a PC to look at manuals, so in the briefing room you will do the same. In the sim use the EFBs or if you like, the paper OM-A/C and QRH just like the real jet. Or does the Boeing save on weight and not have the paper backups in the flight deck?

halas
10th Dec 2013, 04:50
Being last in the line to do any sim phase, one is lucky to combine a small semblance of plates out of all the binders combined. Most were missing or just a half or even a quarter of their former selves.

So this makes no difference to us at the end of the line.

halas

donpizmeov
10th Dec 2013, 12:28
But white knight you have those airbus trainers. Seems the poor Boeing chaps don't get given the same service.

How freakin lucky are you?

Wiz,
It matters not how bad your EFB is onboard as the portal manuals work just the same as the bus ones in the class room. As does the chart viewer. It takes a few minutes of prep by the trainer to have everything all ready to go.

The don.

White Knight
10th Dec 2013, 13:22
How freakin lucky are you?

Ha Don. I didn't say that I ever looked at the magic screen though:} did I:D

More for your benefit than mine mate;)

donpizmeov
10th Dec 2013, 13:30
Fair cop gov :E

BunkPilot
11th Dec 2013, 09:10
Most were missing or just a half or even a quarter of their former selves.

This issue of cheap, low quality paper of 1 micron thickness wasn't a problem with Jeppesen but at least they're saving a few bucks and we'll all get a profit share next year. :rolleyes:

cerbus
12th Dec 2013, 16:01
I need some of those drugs you are using Bunk.
Not only to help me sleep through the night but to give me a false sense of reality.
Profit Share, what's next Santa isn't real?

stealthpilot
14th Dec 2013, 08:24
eerrrrr I guess that's why Bunk put the :rolleyes: face after profit share

Desert Driver
14th Dec 2013, 21:33
The paper manuals will end up as the dinasaurs, extinct. I have tried pushing **** up hill but it doesnt work.
I agree that the choice of paper or E should be allowed as recurrent is not a techno exercise but we are also in an evolving world.
I also understand that if I have to do a sim and the E charts are reliable (thats another debait). Recently during an upgrade LOE the MEL pages were missing.
I may be wrong but the TREs are not in the habit of hiding MEL pages. Perhaps some engineers come in during the night to remove pages as an extra piece of pressure during the upgrade, or do guys preach one for all and, oh screw you.
I would much prefer paper charts, books and tablets but when my coleagues leave me in the **** I don't know how to adjust them.
So I dont like the E bag for the co. manuals but its better than trusting the pricks who dont care about the next guys in the sim.
:ugh: