I don't know why the RAF has so many very popular marches but we sure seem to:

The RAF March: Royal Air Force March - YouTube

The 633 Sqn theme: 633 squadron theme - YouTube

The Dambusters theme: Dam Busters Theme [Highest Quality] - YouTube

Just for a few!!

Rgds SOS

500N
7th Dec 2013, 22:00
Awesome music. Not too sure what the neighbours thought of those blasting out on a Sunday morning !!! :O

Only wish they could have put a bit of good video to the music of the aircraft flying.

Heathrow Harry
8th Dec 2013, 09:02
It's not the RAF you should congratulate - it's the guys in the British Film industry who wrote the music for films - not for the RAF.............

Dave Wilson
8th Dec 2013, 09:23
Actually the RAF March past was composed for the RAF... But I take your point about the other two.

Molemot
8th Dec 2013, 10:33
And then there's the "Luftwaffe March" from the film "Battle of Britain"....(!)

Herod
8th Dec 2013, 13:50
Thanks for that. All three are on mp3 for "gym music", but it's good to "blast" them out a bit.

There's a CD called "The Best of the RAF" which has a good selection; and a nice picture of a Spitfire on the insert.

Beancountercymru
8th Dec 2013, 14:20
Quickly renamed "Aces High" and now my ringtone

Lima Juliet
8th Dec 2013, 14:31
I wouldn't want to march to the 633 Sqn tune - it might look a bit silly!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/c3c9c10c4f69774280f95adb42a0547b/tumblr_mggputSMyu1qc2bleo3_250.gif

54Phan
8th Dec 2013, 14:40
Quite right, Leon!:ok:

goudie
8th Dec 2013, 14:42
Having spent many hours marching up and down to RAF Bands, on seemingly pointless parades, it's not my music of choice but I agree it can be quite stirring at times.

CoffmanStarter
8th Dec 2013, 14:51
My personal favourite ...

William Walton's Spitfire Prelude and Fugue

William Walton's Spitfire Prelude and Fugue - YouTube

:ok:

XV490
8th Dec 2013, 14:56
:D:D:D
Indeed, Leon. I understand the great Ron Goodwin, who wrote the piece, set it in its '12/8' time signature in order to emphasise the component (rhythmic) 'sixes' and 'threes' of the title. No doubt kevmusic will be along soon to scotch, or expand, that story.
As for the Dam Busters theme, I'd understood its composer, Eric Coates, had written it as a 'concert march' long before the film was conceived. Whatever, it can still make me shed a tear, especially the original film score by a full orchestra - as opposed to brass-only versions.
(And am I right in thinking the film's title was changed to Dambusters to avoid American sensibilities?)

CoffmanStarter
8th Dec 2013, 15:01
Leon ... is the cassette player still fitted in the Tornado ... :E

Lima Juliet
8th Dec 2013, 15:20
Coff

Sadly no, the solid state data brick put paid to that. It all went wrong when a 23 Sqn crew listening to Dire Straits bent a jet with 'Pre Armed Thrust Reverse' set when they bounced on landing in Akrotiri - the jet eventually did fly again, although I swear it never flew straight again and was nicknamed 'the banana jet'!

I used to enjoy the JMCs when FRA would comms jam with clips from the Battle of Britain - lots of 'Aces High', 'Silence in Polish', 'Cut that Polish chit chat' and 'Repeat, please...'. Once we got JTIDS, the comms jamming exercises were not even a minor annoyance, and so we would ask the FRA EWOs to give us something entertaining to listen to!

LJ

CoffmanStarter
8th Dec 2013, 15:51
Leon ...

What a shame :(

First generation Sony Cassette Walkman fitted with a small mono earpiece placed behind a H Type OX Mask ... jobs a good'un ... so I'm told :hmm:

Chugalug2
8th Dec 2013, 17:05
Two real RAF marches that are very good in my opinion are Eagle Squadron (Alford) and Holyrood (Alford):-

Eagle Squadron March - YouTube

Royal Air Force Regiment (Quick March) - YouTube

Lima Juliet
8th Dec 2013, 17:24
Nice one Chug, add 'The Lincolnshire Poacher' and you have the full suite of RAF College Cranwell's graduation marches:

The Royal Linolnshire Regiment (Quick March) - YouTube

Lima Juliet
8th Dec 2013, 17:37
Looking at the Mossie in the 633 Sqn link, isn't it the wrong type? I thought they were made especially in the 633 Sqn book to have a solid nose with cannons? This was replicated in the film.

Chugalug2
8th Dec 2013, 17:43
The South Brick Lines, a snow covered junior cadet's Parade Square on which we had to keep marching around until Shudders was finally satisfied, you bring it all back Leon. So more Alford, more Cranwell, the 'Cavalry of the Clouds'. Were you ever in that? Did you have to wear spurs?

R A F College Cranwell - Cavalry Of The Clouds - YouTube

Lima Juliet
8th Dec 2013, 18:20
Chug

No spurs for me, I'm afraid. However, I do remember, after a heavy night out in Nottingham, waking to the sound of the next one and realising that I'd missed the start of one of the many practices. The FS and CWO were not impressed, but they did shield me from the wrath of the SRO with a few extra duties!

RAF College March & March Past.MPG - YouTube

2Planks
8th Dec 2013, 19:33
Leon

IIRC the jet in Cyprus was bouncing along to the Chain by F Mac (aka Grand Prix Theme Tune) ;)

Romeo Oscar Golf
8th Dec 2013, 19:41
And then there's the "Luftwaffe March" from the film "Battle of Britain"....(!)

Quickly renamed "Aces High" and now my ringtone

In another life I was OiC "Radio 3LO" in SOAF Thumrait. My headline programme used it for a signature tune

Chugalug2
8th Dec 2013, 19:46
Strange you should have associated that March with feeling slightly the worse for wear Leon, as it has much the same effect on me. Can't think why, just one of those things I suppose.
I'm probably wide of the mark, but are the members of that band Air Cadets? If so one can only say, Wow! The playing to my untutored ear sounds excellent. Presumably those in the rather natty Mess Kit ensembles are serving. From what you say I suspect you could have been one of them once, that is if you managed to make the concert itself? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
I must say that the Bandmaster(?) did a good job of encouraging the audience into a frenzy, plenty of work out there in TV land if he should ever feel the need.
The venue seems vaguely familiar as well. Does the Film Society still screen Battleship Potemkin and the like on Wednesday evenings or has that long since gone to the great Cinema in the Skies?

Maxibon
8th Dec 2013, 19:58
Aces High. All those rows of Heinkel 111s...

Four Types
9th Dec 2013, 10:39
I don't know about you but I was always fond of the music played by the Massed Rubber Bands of the RAF Registries!! :bored:

goudie
9th Dec 2013, 11:13
Did you have to wear spurs?
I believe, that prior to the order 'fall in the officers', RAF officers walking up and down at the side of the parade ground (usually in pairs) were in fact emulating a time when officers on horse back would exercise their horses in this manner, prior to being called on parade.

CoffmanStarter
9th Dec 2013, 11:51
Goudie ...

RAF officers walking up and down at the side of the parade ground

Technically known as "Officers Perambulating"

Basil
9th Dec 2013, 13:00
I thought it was 'patrolling' but perhaps I was looking out the window and misheard ;)

It WOULD have been more amusing on an 'orse; I rode one around the corner of a hangar one afternoon just as a mech ran up the Goblins on a de-icing rig :eek:

Toadstool
9th Dec 2013, 13:06
Anyone noticed that stupid affectation first demonstrated by Cavalry Officers when walking around with their hands clasped behind their backs as if to say 'look at me, I am so confident in my walking ability and my ability to not fall over and bang my nose'! I now see this devil may care attitude creeping into those perambulating around Cranwell and Waddington. :}

Dave Wilson
9th Dec 2013, 16:06
Can't say I've noticed it at Waddo, most of the crews there drag 'em on the deck...:E

smujsmith
9th Dec 2013, 20:21
Chugalug,

Holyrood, now there is an RAF March that spans the rank structure. As a member of the Halton Apprentices Brass Band 69 to 71 it was a regular for the March to and from workshops. I never realised you Cranwell chaps enjoyed it too. I still think the best thing we (Halton Apprentices) did, musically, was the combined Pipe Band/Trumpeters and Brass Band sunset ceremony. Always a favourate doing the early spot at Earls Court in the 70s.

Smudge:ok:

BATCO
10th Dec 2013, 06:42
Basil

'Patrolling' it is. At least in connection with mounting and dismounting at Buckingham Palace.

Hardest part was the method for turing about from the 'patrol' especially if accompanying Rupert wanted to try and make QCS look bad.

Only other recollection was that guest from AFB was not impressed by the apparently relaxed manner in which the colour is carried whilst patrolling. I'm sure his comment was suitably 'filed' by LONDIST on receipt.

Batco

CoffmanStarter
10th Dec 2013, 07:18
Steady on chaps ... too much talk of drill and people will get the wrong impression about the RAF :E

goudie
10th Dec 2013, 08:32
Quite right CS. Thankfully the RAF delegated proper drill to the Rockapes, who, I must say, do a very good job of it.

rab-k
10th Dec 2013, 09:48
The opening bars of our regimental quick march always made me think of a Pathé News reel, with the obligatory plummy voice-over... would likely have ended up tick-tocking after three paces just trying to get that image out my head, but I never did have to march to it, thankfully!

Skywatch.ROYAL AIR FORCE - YouTube

ian16th
10th Dec 2013, 13:27
Thankfully the RAF delegated proper drill to the Rockapes,
If this is a reference to the Queens Colour Squadron, I must point out that this is a recent happening.

In days of yore, it was a unit of volunteers, from many, if not any trades.

goudie
10th Dec 2013, 13:45
Ian16th
If this is a reference to the Queens Colour Squadron, I must point out that this is a recent happening.

This from the RAF website. Not too recent in my view!
'On the 1st of November 1960, the Royal Air Force Drill Unit, as it was then known, was re-named The Queen’s Colour Squadron of the Royal Air Force and since then has been manned exclusively by the officers and airmen of the Royal Air Force Regiment.'

The Helpful Stacker
10th Dec 2013, 13:52
Talk of Cyprus and 'Lincolnshire Poacher', watch out for black Omegas folks....

SOSL
10th Dec 2013, 14:15
Thanks for your input, HH. Some of the marches were indeed written as film scores, by the great Ron Goodwin et al.

Nonetheless they were all inspired by RAF exploits (except for "Those magnificent men in their flying machines").

Over the years when I was in uniform and still now, so many occasions have been magnified by superb, inspirational military music. Including a truly impressive (and scary) parade of the Pipes and Drums of the 1st Battalion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in Happy Valley,RAF Akrotiri, in1984.

Rgds SOS

SOSL
10th Dec 2013, 14:19
I can't figure out what went wrong with the vertical spacing on my last post - I can't seem to fix it. Maybe it's because I've just "upgraded" to Windows 8.1.

Rgds SOS

Dave Wilson
10th Dec 2013, 14:34
It looks nice in a post modernist way.

RedhillPhil
10th Dec 2013, 14:47
:D:D:D
Indeed, Leon. I understand the great Ron Goodwin, who wrote the piece, set it in its '12/8' time signature in order to emphasise the component (rhythmic) 'sixes' and 'threes' of the title. No doubt kevmusic will be along soon to scotch, or expand, that story.
As for the Dam Busters theme, I'd understood its composer, Eric Coates, had written it as a 'concert march' long before the film was conceived. Whatever, it can still make me shed a tear, especially the original film score by a full orchestra - as opposed to brass-only versions.
(And am I right in thinking the film's title was changed to Dambusters to avoid American sensibilities?)

I once met Ron Goodwin at a concert in Bournemouth. I too had heard the time signature story of 633 squadron. He assured me that it was true. This was during rehearsals. I also asked why "The Headless Horseman" - another great theme type number - wasn't listed in the programme.
"It's the encore" was the reply.
He really was a smashing bloke and very, very talented.

Dave Wilson
10th Dec 2013, 15:16
Wish I had met him, he was a fabulous composer. There's a similar story about Ronnie Hazlehurst who probably wrote more TV scores than anyone else. One of his works was the theme to Some Mothers Do Have 'Em. The melody is the title of the show in Morse code.

Edit: I've just run through the 633 theme in my head and he's using the same unusual rhythm as the song 'America' from West Side Story, two lots of quaver triplets followed by one triplet of crotchets. Think about the opening statement of 633 'Dadada Dadada Da Da' then the response is 'Dadada Dadada Da Da Da' and then sing

'I want to be in A-me-ri-ca, ev-ery things free in A-me-ri-ca.'

Wensleydale
10th Dec 2013, 16:40
Sadly, my squadron at OCTU (Green Sqn) used Liberty Bell by Edward Sousa as its official march - what a joy at our graduation to march on to the theme tune for Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I am sure that Courtney remembers it well!

diginagain
10th Dec 2013, 20:13
It certainly raised a wry smile from me when my elder brother marched-on to it at Henlow.