PDA

View Full Version : Careers after graduating from an Academy?

JM11
7th Dec 2013, 18:21
I've just graduated high school last year, and while all my friends are off abroad studying, I haven't decided what to do. It was always a factor to go into aviation because my father flew in the USAF for majority of his life. I've lived most of my life in the Middle East ( Egypt ) and plan to go to an academy. It's 70,000 USD for a 12-14 month course obtaining PPL, IR, CPL. I'd do this in a heartbeat but my major concern is

A- I don't have a college degree, and I know majority of the airlines out there are requiring this like a high school diploma, how will no college degree work out with me?

B- After graduating from the Academy i'll roughly have 200+ hours, when most airlines require 3,000 and above. This is the most concerning part for me because 70,000 dollars is a lot of cash to spend to end up unemployed.

The academy I plan on going to does recruit pilots for Egypt Air, however you need to be Egyptian while I'm American to qualify for a job.

I'd love to hear any comments or advice from people who have experience or can help me out.

Thanks

RedBullGaveMeWings
7th Dec 2013, 20:35
You're American?
Get your certificates the traditional way and they can count for credits for an aviation-related degree. I heard that people with the ATP certificate and CFI-CFII-MEI are usually given 2 years of credits with ERAU.

ERAU, Baylor, Utah Valley University and many more American universities have aviation-related programs and you can take your training at a normal flight school.

You are supposed to gain experience by instructing, charter, freight and then regionals. Only after a decade at least you are competitive to get an airline job.

This applies if you're an American citizen.

Go in the US -- there's gonna be a shortage in the upcoming years at the majors as many captains will have to retire.

JM11
9th Dec 2013, 11:02
I would rather go to a private academy than go to a college + flight school in one. Mainly due to their all overpriced and I haven't heard a single good thing about them.

I just want to know that if I spend 70,000 USD for this academy, and get my licenses. What are my career opportunities straight off the bat? I know I won't be flying any commercial airline for a few years but what do I do until then?

hhassan
19th Dec 2013, 06:35
JM11: I think you have one best option. Fly to the U.S, join one of the top schools overthere (price will be same as $ 70,000 maybe less) , work for them as a flight instructor for a couple of years to get the experience and to log the required 1,500 flight time, join a regional.

Your options in Egypt will be very limited after graduation, and if you stay, you will lose the instructor option.