PDA

View Full Version : MECIR training at Ad Astral aviation(perth) on a tourist visa

newbiepilot84
7th Dec 2013, 11:45
Hi all,
I am a CASA CPL holder with zero hour night flying. I completed my CPL a while back and went back to my country and I want to my MECIR training in Australia but not sure whether I would need to apply for a proper student visa to conduct flight training because Ad Astral aviation is not registered with CRICOS which means that they can only train people from oversea on a tourist visa. My question is has any of you ever done flight training or MECIR on a tourist visa? It sounds quite risky to me.
Any comments appreciated
Cheers

tail wheel
7th Dec 2013, 19:32
Visitor visa (subclass 600):

This visa lets you come to Australia to:

• have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
• engage in business visitor activities while in Australia that do not include:
◦ working for or supplying services to an organisation or other person based in Australia
◦ selling goods or services directly to the general public.

No training.

8th Dec 2013, 04:23
Remember going overseas to get a rating and ferry the aircraft home. Immigration asked why I only had a one way ticket and informed that I was flying myself home. No problem with that.
The other bloke replied to the same question that he was to there to do some training. 3 hours later he was allowed to enter the country.

What is wrong with doing 30 hrs of scenic flights while here in Oz:)

Arnold E
8th Dec 2013, 04:37
• engage in business visitor activities while in Australia that do not include:
◦ working for or supplying services to an organisation or other person based in Australia

tail wheel, wouldn't the above allow training?:confused:

Timocracy
8th Dec 2013, 06:01
You definitely used to be able to study for up to 3 months on a tourist visa. Some schools used to use it to target overseas students for PPL's.

They've recently changed the visa types and system and the website no longer mentions it. A call to your local Australian embassy/consulate is in order.

Here's a link to a unofficial website that mentions it, but it might be referring to the old visa types.
Tourist visa to Australia - Information Planet (http://www.informationplanet.com.au/visa-and-immigration-to-australia/tourist-visa-to-australia)

Clare Prop
8th Dec 2013, 11:11
NO reason why people can't do training on a tourist visa. I'm sure plenty of visitors do diving courses, skydiving etc.

I have trained heaps of PPLs on tourist visas. The main thing is they can't WORK on this visa.

You could apply for subclass 402 but then may only be able to stay for the duration of the training.

I'm a visa sponsor for Subclass 420 so know my way around the system quite well. What they always want proof of for these is a "net employment benefit" for Australians. Doing a course here would certainly provide that.

newbiepilot84
9th Dec 2013, 06:31
I have contacted the Australian Immigration and what they basically replied was they cannot formally decide whether I will be eligible to apply for a certain visa until I actually apply. It just seems to me that applying for a proper student visa is a waste of time and money to do a flight training course that lasts no longer than 2-3 months time and on top of that, I have to take an IELTS test to be eligible to apply for a visa. There has got to be some exceptions. So, what are my options here? As for the subclass 402, an applicant has to be sponsored so I am definitely not eligible. The requirements are below:

Requirements You might be able to get this visa if you are one of the following:

an occupational trainee (Occupational Trainee stream)
a professional, manager or government official (Professional Development stream)
a professional academic (Research stream)

Dear Client,
Thank you for your correspondence.

A temporary visa allowing a stay in Australia of up to 3 or 6 or 12 months. Applicants can apply from both outside and in Australia. Some tourists or business visitors are eligible to lodge an online application for an e600 Tourist visa.
This visa lets you travel to Australia to:

have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
study in Australia for up to three months
engage in business activities while in Australia, provided you:

do not work for or provide services to a business or organisation in Australia
do not sell goods or services to the public.

The department will tell you how many times you can enter Australia on this visa:

You may be allowed to enter only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa if you want to return to Australia again after you leave.
You may be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid, but the time you spend in Australia cannot be more than the period of stay that you have been granted.

If you wish to reply to this message please use the reply form on our website and enter the reference number in the subject line of this email.

Reply Form:
http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/forms/reply/

Yours sincerely,
Lea
Department of Immigration and Border Protection

Note: The information in this email and attachments is provided for general information and is a guide only. It should not be relied on as complete or accurate or an indication of whether you can apply, or be granted, a visa.

The department cannot formally decide whether you are able to make an application for a visa of a particular kind or qualify for the grant of a visa until you actually apply for a visa and, if eligible to apply, that application is decided. Only on making a visa application can all of your relevant particular circumstances be considered and assessed against the legal criteria for the grant of the visa.

To the extent permitted by law, the Commonwealth excludes all liability for loss or damage arising from the use of, or reliance on, the information contained within this email and attachments whether or not caused by any negligence or otherwise on the part of the Commonwealth or its agents.

newbiepilot84
18th Dec 2013, 01:25
any suggestions regarding this matter?

Clare Prop
18th Dec 2013, 03:14
There's nothing there that says you can't do a training course on a tourist visa.

All they have done there is repeat exactly what is on the website.

airdualbleedfault
18th Dec 2013, 04:44
Training, study, what's the difference?
You're not conducting business and you are providing gainful employment to Australians, how can that not be allowed?