PDA

View Full Version : AME / NHS conflict Trans-rectal ultrasound

RMC
6th Dec 2013, 08:49
I was advised at my consultation that I should not fly for a couple of weeks following this procedure. My AME says there is no restricion regarding the procedure itself but the antibiotics (five days) will stop me flying. Anyone know who is right?
Thanks in advance

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Dec 2013, 10:20
The AME is the one who knows about your licence requirements. If in doubt, talk to Gatwick.

Fostex
6th Dec 2013, 12:35
Trust your AME or AMS at Gatwick, everything else is irrelevant with regards to medical regulation.

mad_jock
6th Dec 2013, 14:53
Its not actually if the surgeon says your not fit for work and you go in there is a whole load of problems for your HR department if you do and something happens.

If you get a sick line for 14 days and you feel like you are fit for work after 5 you have to go back to the doctors to get signed fit again. Been there and been sent home by HR and 30 seconds later a screaming crewing saying get your backside into the flight deck. Told crewing what HR said and told them to speak to each other and HR won.

You have multiple sets of rules in play, standard employment law, health and safety and ANO law. The other two will prevent you working even if the AME says you can. If you can get the AME to convince the surgeon then your fine. But no AME is going to contradict a surgeon in their own specialty. All the surgeon needs to says is risk of haemorrhage due to altitude effects and you will stay grounded.

I suspect when the AME in Gatwick hears the surgeon says no flying for a couple of weeks that's exactly what they are going to say as well anyway.

And it could be that the surgeon wants you to rest for a couple of weeks and its got nothing to do with anything happening. I suspect my 14 day sick line was the doctor wanting me to have two weeks off. When I phoned him to try and get an appointment to get signed back fit his reply was just enjoy your time off you need it, sorry I have no appointments available if your not sick. I was flying 900 hours a year multi sector regional at the time.

Radgirl
7th Dec 2013, 15:58
Back to basics.

What exactly did you have done???? A transrectal ultrasound is simply putting a probe in the rectum. It doesnt stop you flying at all as it is the same as a rectal examination with a finger. Indeed the probe may be smaller than the finger on some surgeons!!!!!

You may have had a biopsy of the prostate and this is different. you can get bleeding but there are different types of biopsy

So go ask the doctor why he says you shouldnt fly. Doctors are often nice guys and should be happy to explain. He may know diddly about flying but I doubt he would just say this for no reason.

It isnt just bureaucracy. The AME is acting on what you told him and may be mistaken. If the doctor said you could not work and you fly despite this you will be on the naughty chair regardless of any other advice.

RMC
7th Dec 2013, 16:43
RADGIRL - You are correct it is a biopsy guided by ultrasound (I assumed the title included a biopsy). My AME however knows it is a biopsy as I showed him the paperwork.

gingernut
7th Dec 2013, 18:27
The AME knows his stuff.

The Consultant thinks he does.

If the sh*t hit the fan, then I expect the authorities would probably come down on the side of the AME, 'specially if he's made a direction, but the Consultant opinion would probably make the autopsy report.

If you are desperate to get back in the air, then you could link the AME up to the Consultant....... Good Luck :-)

Radgirl
8th Dec 2013, 20:18
Not sure about that gingernut

The AME gives advice against the CAA's guidelines. The consultant gives advice for the specific case.

Say you had had a hernia operation and were beyond the time frame to fly. AME says OK. Consultant however says no because he knows there was an additional issue eg nerve issue so power in leg possibly reduced. If you fly against the specific advice of your treating doctor who knows your occupation, I would not put any money on the AME baling you out. If you caused harm eg caused an accident, an expert medical opinion would state you are to blame as you worked against specific advice. It is not necessary to know why the advice was not to work, nor necessary to agree with it. I doubt your insurance would pay out, and I fear the lawyers for the injured or dead passengers would be quickly on your tail.

Bottom line, it isnt worth the hassle.