PDA

View Full Version : over-regulation actually reduces safety

Old Akro
6th Dec 2013, 00:42
Research Study: Aircraft Certification Rules Don't Necessarily Improve Safety - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Research-Study-Aircraft-Certification-Rules-Dont-Necessarily-Improve-Safety221068-1.html)

I had a look for the paper - its not released yet, but it looks like it is going to be pretty interesting. The interesting thing is that there is quite a lot of research into aviation going on in US universities. By comparison, I cannot find any in Australia. There are no aviation CRC's (Co-operative Research Centres) and I don't see any research studies at the universities with aviation studies (eg Swinburne, Uni SA, etc). This means that (unlike the US) we only have one authotivive voice for opinions on aviation safety - the 3 headed hydra of CASA / ATSB / ASA

4Greens
6th Dec 2013, 07:42
Check out the Aviation Department of the UNSW.

Ultralights
6th Dec 2013, 08:08
I'll be going back to UNSW soon, might have found my masters subject....

mattyj
6th Dec 2013, 22:34
Holy crap! If that's true then CASA is going to have to get rid of the "S" ..then what will it be...!?

Shredder6
6th Dec 2013, 22:56
then CASA is going to have to get rid of the "S" ..then what will it be...!?

Won't be any worse than what it is now.

T28D
6th Dec 2013, 23:17
What is it now C**ts Against Aviation

aroa
7th Dec 2013, 07:31
It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain... ( me too..if I had the full compliment I would have been in another line of business)..that bureaucratic over-complexitization creates problems, and in CAsA.s case it makes it unsafer. :mad:
Just like complex electronics in modern aircraft..if not easy to understand/fully understood...fatal outcomes.

"Safety" is NOT something that is directly proportional to the amount of paperwork produced.

If the FOI and AWIs who "work" in the bloody place cant get their heads around some of the convoluted, prescriptive rubbish regs and can't come up with a definitive answer :mad:..then HTF is the 'joe blow' pilot, without a PhD in Philladephia Law expected to make something??/anything?? out of it.

Over the past 1/4 century we have had a veritable avalanche of regs, instruments, exemptions, MOS, OMs and etc :mad:...has it made Australian aviation a safer place.?

The answer is patently...NO

And there's a bloody sight less aviation happening for all that as well.

The "regulator" is clearly a gross bureaucratic entity that has completely lost its way.:mad:
The CAsA motto is "To Serve and Protect. Ourselves"

"Look Minister, we have revamped Reg 101 from 360 to 587 pages and 456 strict liability offences." ...( this'll keep 'em in line and think of the money from penalty notices!!) "So it will be very much safer, Minister..how good it that "
Porcine rectum, actually. Complexitization kills.

Be careful and thorough, to keep yr ar$k intact.... but keep it simple.!

RadioSaigon
7th Dec 2013, 10:02
Forgive me, but...

over-regulation actually reduces safety

No ****, Sherlock.

Jabawocky
7th Dec 2013, 12:52
Aroa

CAsA do C.A.R.E

Cover Arse Retire Early.

Anything else?:cool:

dubbleyew eight
7th Dec 2013, 14:56
if you look at the 'stalling a cessna 172' thread you can see that advise on how people were killed is actually ignored in favour of what the regs allow.
a situation that cannot have sound safety outcomes.

flying is a Yoda thing. there is no "try" there is just "do" or "don't do" (in which case you'll die)

concentrate on you, the aeroplane and the physics.
the rest is total crap.

Shagpile
7th Dec 2013, 19:57
How much of modern training is devoted to understanding regs rather than studying and improving knowledge on aerodynamics, knowing your own aircraft systems inside out, emergency procedures, etc.

I fly into airshows and people are calling on the radios for the wrong runways, cutting people off and not looking out. But I bet their maintenance release has the correct colour of pen used.

I fly for a living and as a recent aircraft owner, trying to do the right thing, I'm finding it almost impossible to keep up. After every chat with a lame I discover another crime I've unknowingly committed. It's ******.

Jabawocky
7th Dec 2013, 21:23
Shags.......please don't tell me there s a correct colour pen requirement as well. :eek:

Spent a good part of yesterday with a new friend, former student of APS and another one of the countries leading engine builders. As usual I learned a heap, a bit about the mechanicals of cams pushrods and stuff in general. But the one thing I learned is the chances of anyone wanting to get into the business is damned near nil.

And these blokes cop it by a factor of maybe 10 or more. Unlike pilots who are moving targets, these guys are stationary. The BS meter must be pegged the whole time.

Your quite correct Shags, but take a moment and thing how your poor LAME feels :sad:

Ultralights
8th Dec 2013, 03:07
.please don't tell me there s a correct colour pen requirement as wel

last time i checked it was either Black or Blue permanent indelible ink only. could have changed though, and most likely has :ugh:

Shagpile
8th Dec 2013, 04:25
Black or Blue permanent indelible ink

Well, there's another crime on my belt. That was the stupidest thing I could think of and it's (probably and/or tragically) a law.

I can just see that nice fact about Föhn winds pushed out the other side of my brain!

Jaba - my thoughts go out for Lame's. They earn every cent. After my first Annual, I think I'm going to need to write an app for tracking AD's to try and reduce the level of criminal activity I commit as an aircraft operator. Sadly, I think my days of evil genius crime boss are coming to an end as I study law and regulations night after night.

Maybe, just maybe I will reach a point where I no longer own or fly an aircraft, and I will become a respectful law abiding citizen once more.

Jabawocky
8th Dec 2013, 06:02
Now you are getting the CASA safety message :}

27/09
8th Dec 2013, 07:25
CASA (or insert any other regulator) "We're not happy until you're not happy".