PDA

View Full Version : Autogas STC

Aviater
4th Dec 2013, 14:02
So I'm just about to buy (be given) and aircraft with an autogas STC and I was wondering if anyone can offer a regular reliable auto fuel product that doesn't contain alcohol/ethanol?

I'm yet to come across anyone that says something like; 'I always use BP 91 because it always tests free of alcohol and is signposted as being ethanol free'

Cheers

Old Akro
4th Dec 2013, 19:07
This was discussed in another thread in some detail.

An issue is that you can't completely trust a local site not to add something. So, all fuel should be tested.

Personally, I'd choose BP or Shell 98 octane from a high volume site. That has the best chance of being a pure product. Other brands have a higher chance of having the odd batch of imported fuel of unknown parentage added to the tank at some time,

Jabawocky
4th Dec 2013, 19:31
Aviator, just check out what the STC says, and remember that our pump numbers are RON and no MON or as the Americans use (R+M)/2.

It gets confusing hey. And the different number scales are not linear. The BP98 is as good as it gets here, and the quality of the fuel is probably better overall than Avgas, except for the traceability etc.

The regular unleaded could be absolutely anything. Gum content is a problem, refer the previous thread that Akro refers to.

Stick to Avgas coz it aint worth the trouble perhaps ?;)

Aviater
5th Dec 2013, 04:28
Thanks for the reply. Was planning on testing every sample until I'm confident in the product just wanted to hear if amyone had a 'favourite' that they stick to.

Jab, I know your an Avgas advocate but I will definitly be using it. Too many people have too much success using the stc.

Being a LAME helps too I guess.

Sounds like the Unleaded Avgas replacement fuel is going to more expensive again when it arrives so I will be using the mogas STC wherever I can do so safely.

Cheers!

Aviater
5th Dec 2013, 04:29
I'll have another look for that previous thread too! :)

Jabawocky
5th Dec 2013, 05:29
I am an advocate of using the "right fuel". ;)

Plus there is the has sell of carting mogas, filling, gum buildup in carburettor bowls. So yes being a LAME will really help but I hope you do not have too much trouble with that. If the issues I have had in a boat happen in a plane :eek:

Unleaded avgas will not necessarily be dearer. but it is not ever going to be the same price as BP98 car fuel.

grug
8th Dec 2013, 10:38
Have been running mogas in a radial for a few years now. get the fuel from regular browsers, wherever the work is at. Have always tested the fuel for alcohol and have yet to find any when it was not meant to be there. The test is easy to do and only uses a bit of water for the check.