PDA

View Full Version : new Unleaded 100 avgas..

Ultralights
4th Dec 2013, 03:47
what is this magic?
Shell Announces Unleaded 100-Octane Fuel (Updated) - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Shell-Announces-Unleaded-100-Octane-Fuel221070-1.html)

triton140
4th Dec 2013, 04:34
Looks like the big guys are moving in - seems GAMI and Swift have some competition ...

RatsoreA
4th Dec 2013, 04:52
competition

Not much of competition... Swift/GAMI I'm sure put lots of work into it, but Shell probably has more R&D budget in a week than those two combined since they started!

Maybe try and sell thier research to big oil, at least try and come out with something?!

Jabawocky
4th Dec 2013, 06:03
Read the fine print…and in-between the lines…… ;) (i declare an unfair advantage)

They have admitted they are still a long ways to go.

Interesting observation though, apart from Geelong, where else does shell produce Avgas?

rutan around
4th Dec 2013, 06:45
Shell probably has more R&D budget in a week than those two combined since they started!

Probably very true but often in research it's not so much the size of the budget that wins the day as it is the degree of genius of one gifted individual or sometimes just plain luck.

I note Shell's internal research has been going on for 10 years--about the same time as the other players. Time will tell who comes up with the best brew .

sms777
4th Dec 2013, 08:22
I think it's bull crap.
I don't trust Shell....never did. How do you you think they managed to get 98 in their Optimax?..... Add ethanol. Simple as that. It caused sticky valvels, gummed up fuel system, blocked fuel filters, swollen fuel lines in carburetted cars, poor fuel economy, hard starting.......I can go on further. Now they are contaminating aviation?.......
No thanks.

Old Akro
4th Dec 2013, 19:12
How do you you think they managed to get 98 in their Optimax?..... Add ethanol.

Optimax is long gone, it hasn't been available for years and I believe they disclosed its constituents in the TDS. The new V-Power does not contain ethanol.