PDA

View Full Version : Hire an flight instructor instead of going to pilot school

steftn
3rd Dec 2013, 16:01
Hi,

is it possible to hire an personal flight instructor instead of going to a pilot school for airplane PPL?
Because in a pilot school you maybe have to pay 'more instances'.

Does anyone know more about that? Or is it usually cheaper to go to a pilot school.

Thanks.

SloppyJoe
3rd Dec 2013, 17:29
Yes you can hire a flight instructor but.

You also need a plane that is insured for flight instruction.

You need someone to rent you a plane using your own instructor.

You need the person you rented the plane from to allow you to take it solo.

You need a plane with insurance for a student pilot to go solo in.

Easier to use a flight school and probably not that much more expensive unless you have your own plane.

boga
3rd Dec 2013, 22:00
You can only take a license in a flight school, an ATO, approved by the authorities for the course.

Sorry.

AdamFrisch
4th Dec 2013, 00:15
You can only take a license in a flight school, an ATO, approved by the authorities for the course.

Sorry.

Not true in America. In the US you can just hire a CFI and do your whole training from student to ATPL if you want. Don't even need insurance (although not a great idea). CFI needs 5hr in type, but that's it.

steftn
4th Jan 2014, 20:36
Hi,

thanks for your help!

Not true in America. In the US you can just hire a CFI and do your whole training from student to ATPL if you want. Don't even need insurance (although not a great idea). CFI needs 5hr in type, but that's it.

Does this also work if you are a non US citizen (visa) student?

Thanks!

ifitaintboeing
4th Jan 2014, 21:04
Yes it does, but your instructor will need to register with the TSA AFSP, and you will need to obtain approval for training from the TSA.

Aliens and Non-U.S. Citizens Seeking Flight Training - AOPA (http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Flight-Instructor-Resources/AOPAs-Guide-to-TSAs-Alien-Flight-Training-Citizenship-Validation-Rule/Aliens-and-Non-U-S-Citizens-Seeking-Flight-Training.aspx)

ifitaint...

steftn
7th Jan 2014, 16:27
mhm, the problem is my flight instructor isn't listed there...

Mark 1
7th Jan 2014, 18:05
If you're a non-citizen or green card holder, you will need to meet TSA requirements irrespective of the aircraft ownership. There are plenty suitably registered CFIs in the LA area.
Buying your own aircraft would also require an ownership trust, but that's easily arranged.

AirborneAgain
8th Jan 2014, 13:01
Not true in America....It would really help if people with questions such as this stated clearly both the country they're in and the kind of license they want to train for...

bubbers44
9th Jan 2014, 00:13
My college had a flying club so just hired a flight instructor and ended up as a captain flying international for the largest airline in the world. No, you don,t have to go to a flying school and it is a lot cheaper.

bubbers44
9th Jan 2014, 00:27
At the end I made the mistake of going to Embry Riddle to get signed off for my commercial license sign off but could have done it for half the price elsewhere. They were advertising they could get you a short cut into the airlines but didn't.
I enjoyed a season crop dusting and 13 years later got an airline job. Wouldn't hAve wanted any other way. Great career.